Collard Greens Recipes Anyone?

Options
pinkledoodledoo
pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
Please post your best recipes for collard greens. I got some in my veggie box this week and have no clue what to do with them. I've only ever had them once or twice while living in Florida and wasn't crazy about the way they were cooked so I'm looking for really flavorful or creative ways of making them bearable since they're not my fave. Thanks!!

Replies

• Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Back to Collard GreensPrintable Area
    FoodNetwork.com
    Collard Greens

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Prep Time:
    20 min
    Inactive Prep Time:
    --
    Cook Time:
    2 hr 0 min

Level:
    Easy

Serves:
    4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

1/2 pound smoked meat (ham hocks, smoked turkey wings, or smoked neck bones)
    1 tablespoon House seasoning, recipe follows
    1 tablespoon seasoned salt
    1 tablespoon hot red pepper sauce
    1 large bunch collard greens
    1 tablespoon butter

Directions

In a large pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and add smoked meat, house seasoning, seasoned salt and hot sauce. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 1 hour.

Wash the collard greens thoroughly. Remove the stems that run down the center by holding the leaf in your left hand and stripping the leaf down with your right hand. The tender young leaves in the heart of the collards don't need to be stripped. Stack 6 to 8 leaves on top of one another, roll up, and slice into 1/2 to 1-ince thick slices. Place greens in pot with meat and add butter. Cook for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. When done taste and adjust seasoning.

Serve with favorite dish as a side.
    House Seasoning:

1 cup salt
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_22719_RECIPE-PRINT-FULL-PAGE-FORMATTER,00.html?oc=linkback
  • Determinedtorunon
    Determinedtorunon Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    1 large bunch collard greens, about 1 1/2 pounds, stemmed and washed in 2 changes of water

Salt to taste

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 onion, sliced very thin across the grain

2 to 4 garlic cloves, green shoots removed, sliced thin

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Freshly squeezed lemon juice for serving

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Fill a bowl with ice water. When the water comes to a boil, salt generously and add the collard greens. Blanch for four minutes and transfer to the ice water with a slotted spoon or skimmer. Drain, squeeze out extra water and coarsely chop or cut in thin ribbons. Set aside the cooking water.

2. Heat the oil over medium heat in a wide, lidded skillet or Dutch oven, and add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add a generous pinch of salt and the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes, and continue to cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, about five minutes. Add the collard greens, and stir together for a few minutes, then add 1 cup of the cooking water and salt to taste. Bring to a simmer, cover partially, and simmer over low heat for one hour, stirring often and adding more cooking water from time to time, so that the greens are always simmering in a small amount of liquid. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve hot or warm, with a little fresh lemon juice if desired.

This is a healthy version....I like to use chicken broth and smoked turkey in my collard greens.....Happy eating!!!
  • cdross128
    cdross128 Posts: 4
    Options
    I love my collard greens sauteed on the stove, just like spinach. I thinly slice some whatever kind of onion I have on hand, mince some garlic and cook those in a tbs of olive oil for a few minutes. Then I add the collards and cook until they are tender. Season with salt, pepper, a good sized pinch of red pepper flakes and 2 tsp of vinegar (your preference). Quick and easy!
  • redda777
    redda777 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Blend with 1/4 c of water and make into icecubes and use in your green smoothies.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC75PRXp0Qk

Here's a more healthy recipe .
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    1 large bunch collard greens, about 1 1/2 pounds, stemmed and washed in 2 changes of water

Salt to taste

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 onion, sliced very thin across the grain

2 to 4 garlic cloves, green shoots removed, sliced thin

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Freshly squeezed lemon juice for serving

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Fill a bowl with ice water. When the water comes to a boil, salt generously and add the collard greens. Blanch for four minutes and transfer to the ice water with a slotted spoon or skimmer. Drain, squeeze out extra water and coarsely chop or cut in thin ribbons. Set aside the cooking water.

2. Heat the oil over medium heat in a wide, lidded skillet or Dutch oven, and add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add a generous pinch of salt and the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes, and continue to cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, about five minutes. Add the collard greens, and stir together for a few minutes, then add 1 cup of the cooking water and salt to taste. Bring to a simmer, cover partially, and simmer over low heat for one hour, stirring often and adding more cooking water from time to time, so that the greens are always simmering in a small amount of liquid. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve hot or warm, with a little fresh lemon juice if desired.

This is a healthy version....I like to use chicken broth and smoked turkey in my collard greens.....Happy eating!!!

this is good eats I like to put chili peppers in mine! and I have been known to use pork jowl... :)
  • angelh1908
    angelh1908 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've never tried them sauteed on the stove; might have to do that this weekend....

Paula Deen's recipe is more closely related to how my mother and I would cook them, minus the butter. You could add a few more veggies as well (i.e. onion, bell pepper, tomato).
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Southern style collard green recipe:

Smoked turkey wing-1
    Lipton onion soup mix-1
    Chicken boullion cubes or Knorr's Boullion Seasoning
    Salt
    Pepper
    8 c water

Place greens and turkey wing in pot of water. Add soup mix and boullion for flavor. Stir
    Add salt and pepper as greens cook as desired.
    Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until greens are tender. Approximately 2-3 hours.
    Tasty every time.
    My family goes crazy for them.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    Options
    These are some great recipes, keep 'em coming! Thanks so much everyone, these look awesome though I know I don't have any kind of smoked/precooked meat I can use in them for tonight's dinner I will keep that in mind for future batches. :smile:
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    These are some great recipes, keep 'em coming! Thanks so much everyone, these look awesome though I know I don't have any kind of smoked/precooked meat I can use in them for tonight's dinner I will keep that in mind for future batches. :smile:

I would use smoked or cured pork trotters, jowl or head if you can adds lots of flavor!
    chili peppers and citrus always accent the flavor of the greens imo
  • Steph_in_Mississippi
    Steph_in_Mississippi Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Wash and cut collards. Sautee thin sliced onion in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add collards and crushed red pepper. Add low sodium chicken stock. Simmer til tender.

** mine is similar to the above but instead of lemon, I use stock.. ** :smile:
  • pinkledoodledoo
    Options

I would use smoked or cured pork trotters, jowl or head if you can adds lots of flavor!
    chili peppers and citrus always accent the flavor of the greens imo

I am not even sure where I would find those parts of a pig... :laugh:
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It’s plain, it’s simple, it’s delicious.

1 head of Cabbage
    1 stalk of Collard greens
    1 stalk of Mustard greens
    2 cups of chopped Spinach
    2 cups of fire roasted tomatoes
    Or 2 cups chipotle tomatoes (these can be hard to find) I go to Raley’s
    Optional: 3lbs chicken breast strips steamed or boiled.
    Optional: 3lbs medium shrimp add to soup the last 6 min. Lots of extra protein when adding meat.

You can add spices to your taste. I eat mine with salt and pepper.

This makes a full pot as seen in the picture! Feeds 10 people. 110 calories per serving! Very filling!
    I eat the whole pot in two days. Usually 1-2 cups for lunch and 1-2 cups for dinner.
  • LJGettinSexy
    Options
    Blend with 1/4 c of water and make into icecubes and use in your green smoothies.

This is hilarious!!!
  • LJGettinSexy
    Options
    I've never tried them sauteed on the stove; might have to do that this weekend....

Paula Deen's recipe is more closely related to how my mother and I would cook them, minus the butter. You could add a few more veggies as well (i.e. onion, bell pepper, tomato).

Did someone say the unmentionable 'Paula Deen' word. LOL
  • pinkledoodledoo
    Options

This is hilarious!!!

I thought so too... I've never eaten a green smoothie... unless you count Shamrock Shakes from McDonalds :tongue: