Weight Watchers?

Options
I go back and forth from wanting to try Weight Watchers to not wanting to try it. I've done WW online before and was successful, but I feel that was more because, at the time (about 5 years ago), I had more willpower than I have now. Back then I looked at doing the meetings in my town but found out through the grapevine that it was ran and attended by older women (like 60s) and not worth it for someone as young as me. As I'm curious again, I found the current meeting leader and she's young! Like my age! That gives me hope that maybe she could help me out with my issues...

My Questions:
--- Have you ever tried Weight Watchers?
--- Do you recommend attending the meetings?
--- Did the online-only program work for you?

Replies

• bikingpanda
    bikingpanda Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have done weight watchers and to me, the money is not worth it. The meetings seem to be a 1/2 hour of trying to sell you products and the meetings are pricy. It's not a bad program, but for the price you are trading calorie counting for point counting. And the apps are really buggy.
  • dancinmama
    dancinmama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started Weight Watchers, going to the meetings, on Jan 5, and have lost 55.4 lbs! Going to the meetings has it way over doing it online. Everyone at my meetings are so supportive and helpful, and the weekly discussions are great! We have ALL ages there, from high school up. I go on a Saturday morning, and I think that draws a younger crowd. Go to a meeting as a visitor...try it out, you may love it!
  • dearestcrh
    dearestcrh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started Weight Watchers, going to the meetings, on Jan 5, and have lost 55.4 lbs! Going to the meetings has it way over doing it online. Everyone at my meetings are so supportive and helpful, and the weekly discussions are great! We have ALL ages there, from high school up. I go on a Saturday morning, and I think that draws a younger crowd. Go to a meeting as a visitor...try it out, you may love it!

You can go as a visitor before signing up?
  • stahlhaus
    stahlhaus Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 50's and I've done WW about 4 times. It's a great program, no doubt. There's something more accountable about knowing you'll be weighing in each week, and you can sometimes find friendships with other members. People also share tips on foods and recipes they've discovered. And the recipes on the WW site are very good, and I still make many of them. You choose a reasonable goal weight (based on their range of what you should weigh for your height/age--it's pretty broad). Once you reach your goal weight and hold that for 6 weeks, you become a lifetime member and must weigh in each month and be within 2 lbs. of your goal weight.

That said, it is almost $40 a month, and their food is pretty pricey (though they have some sales). Much of what I listed above is also available on MFP. Both websites will allow you to find people like you and build the friends' lists, groups, etc. There are pros and cons to each website, but both are pretty good. I found the dealbreaker (besides the $40/month) to be the lack of WW to develop a decent mobile app for the Android phone. Their iPhone app is very good however. I can't remember if they have the product code scan option like MFP has (which is super helpful, IMO).

If you feel you would get an extra boost by attending a meeting in person, with the support and encouragement of the group and the leader, AND the money isn't an issue for you, then check it out. Now that I have gone through menopause, the lbs. don't come off very quickly at all, so $40 a month was just too steep to start over there. Good luck with your decision!
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I did WW and loved the meetings, but when I lost my job I couldn't pay for meetings.

I like using MFP app better because it is FREE and 1330 calories seems like more food than 29 points. lol.
  • stahlhaus
    stahlhaus Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One of the things I said was a bit misleading. The WW food sold at meetings is just snack type things, plus oatmeal, smoothie mixes. You don't eat WW food like some other plans (Jenny Craig, etc.). It's just supplemental and totally optional if you want to buy it. Then there is the WW foods you can buy at grocery stores (which isn't sold at meetings); again, your choice as to whether you eat that.
  • dvelocity
    dvelocity Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds with Weight Watchers and kept it off for five years. I worked for them as a leader. Quit, Stopped being accountable to myself and gained it back.

Weight Watchers is a great program and it does work. I like the accountability of meetings and you can learn lots of great information. The most important thing about attending meetings is finding a meeting leader you like. If you don't like the leader then its not going to go as well.

Don't get fooled by their products - you do not need them.

The meetings have great information on learning about dedication, finding motiviation, dealing with difficult people and situations, learning triggers that cause you to eat etc, etc.

Having said all that - I have the skills and know my problems I just need to be accountable and most importantly track my food so now this site is what is right for me.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I did WW about 7 years ago and made it to Lifetime. So the meetings do work. Life happens, things change, weight comes back, old habits creep up - and where I live now the meetings are a LOT more commercial and expensive.

If you need meetings for the accountability factor you should look into TOPS. Here its about $30 for the year, then local dues are about $5 a month. WAY cheaper than WW. You can follow any plan you want so you can still use MFP. The meetings I have attended are always fun and the people are very nice and welcoming. You can check out your first meeting for free. They share a lot of the same things WW meetings do and they also have a lot of games/incentives/prizes to keep you motivated.

http://www.tops.org/TOPS/FindAMeeting.aspx
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I just cancelled my monthly pass about 3 weeks ago. The basics of the program are good when it comes to eating healthy foods and portion control, but there is very little emphasis on activity (unless they are mentioning the Active Link). After sitting through a month of meetings on how table settings will help with weight loss I decided I was done. Besides, the e-tools on here and the app are much easier to use than on the WW site and I couldn't justify spending the money on something that wasn't user friendly.

You can go sit in on a meeting to see if it's something you would like, they just won't weigh you in or give you the weekly handout.
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have done Weight Watchers in the past, even working for them. I use what I know from that and apply it using MFP for the accountability and support, making sure I get all my fruits, veggies, water and exercise in and go from there.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing WW and I enjoy it. For me it is worth the money although the points are still driving me crazy (I"ve been with WW for about a month now). The meetings help motivate me and although some of the information is a little repetitive, it helps stick some of the information in my mind. Although I love MFP and will not leave it, WW is the extra push I needed. The first meeting is free so give it a shot. That way you can decide for yourself whether you will benefit from it or not. :smile:
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    WW's is a great program. I did online, didn't attend a single meeting, didn't eat a single WW product. I lost 40 pounds. Free fruit yes, WITHIN REASON! I don't know why this trips people up

WW's taught me portion control, and how to eat healthier. WW's set me up to go it alone here on MFP, for an additional 20 pound loss. I stopped WW's because I felt a little stalled and needed to change it up a bit. I felt I had the skills to this, thanks to WW's.
  • BRANDY12291
    BRANDY12291 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing WW online only. I have lost 33 pounds since March 28th. I don't go to meetings. I can defintely see the benefits of going to meetings. However, it is too pricey for me. I pay $18.95 a month for just WW online. Compared to like fifty something dollars a month if you go to the meetings. I really like WW. To me counting the points is just easier than counting calories. I know lots of people would disagree, but that's my opinion. I have started logging my food on MFP also just because I like monitoring sodium and sugar intake.

I really haven't found any "friends" on WW online. I have found blogging or MFP friends to be more motivational than the people on WW online. If there ever comes a time that the $18.95 is not in my budget, I would cancel it without hesitation knowing that I can still use MFP for free.

So in my opinion- to each their own. Generally you can try WW online for free for 7 days, I think. I say try it out and if you prefer counting calories here. Then do it. Both plans will work for you if you follow the recommendations.
  • dearestcrh
    dearestcrh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did WW about 7 years ago and made it to Lifetime. So the meetings do work. Life happens, things change, weight comes back, old habits creep up - and where I live now the meetings are a LOT more commercial and expensive.

If you need meetings for the accountability factor you should look into TOPS. Here its about $30 for the year, then local dues are about $5 a month. WAY cheaper than WW. You can follow any plan you want so you can still use MFP. The meetings I have attended are always fun and the people are very nice and welcoming. You can check out your first meeting for free. They share a lot of the same things WW meetings do and they also have a lot of games/incentives/prizes to keep you motivated.

http://www.tops.org/TOPS/FindAMeeting.aspx

My cousin attends TOPS near her and told me about it a while ago. While I find the idea interesting, there wasn't one in my area. I just searched again and found there is one, but it's in a nursing home in my town. Not sure if that's going to help me out or not.
  • TaraM430
    TaraM430 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have done WW meetings twice. The first time was last year right after I had my second baby. I lost 22lbs in 10 weeks. After I stopped going to meetings some of the weight crept back on as I stopped following the program. I rejoined WW meetings this past January but my head really wasn't in the game and I hated having to go to meetings. I only lost 10lbs in 10 weeks. This past May I returned to MFP and things just clicked for me. WW is expensive and not worth the money to me when I can utilize this awesome free app/website. Now some people really benefit from attending meetings and having to weigh in in front of someone else, it does give you accountability. You have to figure out what works best for YOU. WW meetings can be a great jumpstart to your weight loss journey and then you may be able to do it on your own afterwards. I have done WW online a few times and didn't like it. When I did WW on my own all I needed was a notebook and my points plus calculator. Good Luck in whatever you choose!
  • grizziegriz
    grizziegriz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I did WW about 12 years ago. I attended the meetings and reached my goal weight. I kept the weight off until about 4 years ago when I got pregnant. 2 kids later I gained the weight back. I joined WW on-line (couldn’t find a meeting during the times I was able to attend) at the beginning of this year. I prefer the meetings over online for the accountability. I realized that I was paying for the same stuff I get for free on this website. So I quit WW. The program does work and I agree with others on this post that you should attend one meeting and that will help you decide what will work best for you.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options

My cousin attends TOPS near her and told me about it a while ago. While I find the idea interesting, there wasn't one in my area. I just searched again and found there is one, but it's in a nursing home in my town. Not sure if that's going to help me out or not.

They hold them in places that are free and easily accessible. They also hold them in different places than WW. Many of the meetings I went to were considered "at work" meeting so it could be the reason it is at the nursing home is because their are people who work there that need the meetings. It could also be they have a meeting room suitable for housing the meetings. I have gone to TOPS meetings at libraries, hospitals, nursing homes, banks, libraries and various churches. Don't let location be a factor. Also, even if their are older folks at the first meeting, don't automatically rule that out. I made that mistake the first meeting I went to. It just so happened that I missed the folks my age who come and go due to other weekly obligations. I think it is worth checking out. We had quite a few people that did WW online (although they could not really discuss it ) and went to TOPS for the weigh ins because it worked out cheaper that way. I might be worth a try for you to have that weekly accountability and meeting time to chat with others who are going or who have been through what you are dealing with.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I've done both--online and the meeting format. Had success with both. Had as much success as with MFP, accept that MFP is free and I find the people and stories on this site are far more motivating than any WW meeting I ever attended. And again, it's FREE. :flowerforyou:
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've done WW online and live - I think it's a good idea but too expensive plus I think their online tools/logging/ SUCK. MFP is so much easier and free.
  • GoodSelf
    GoodSelf Posts: 10
    Options
    I had a lot of success with Weight Watchers a few years ago. I enjoyed the meetings and found them encouraging. I usually left meetings feeling empowered and like I could stick with the program for another week.

I chose to leave for two reasons:

1) Our local WW organization downsized and as a result, my meeting ended up getting really crowded. Suddenly it seemed like we were spending half the meeting time or more recognizing people's successes. While I understand how important this is, I felt like I wasn't getting as much personal support and information anymore.

2) The online tools SUCK SUCK SUCK. I was a die-hard online tracker and the whole system often crashed or got crazy glitchy. I wrote to WW repeatedly asking for solutions, help, suggestions, and finally a refund and NEVER did anyone reply to me. That was very frustrating. So I cancelled my membership. (It's expensive too!)

So.... here I am a few years later the heaviest I've ever been and trying mfp. I like it, but I miss the camaraderie of WW meetings.

(P.S. Side note: looking for mfp pals -- feel free to add me!)