How to fit it all in?

Options
Life was easy when I was unemployed but I just got a temp job. Great news, but how do all you employed people fit in a gym session into your day? I have to be up for the am dog walk at 530 then off to work until 430. Walk the dogs, feed the husband and it's 730. My gym closes at 8 and opens at 6 am.

Any suggestions or do I just suck it up since I won't have extra calories from exercise to eat?

Beth

Replies

• GIAngel222
    GIAngel222 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Your schedule sounds similar to mine but I have two more jobs, that takes up another 15 hours a week. I work about 65 hours a week and I fit in 5 days a week at the gym. If I can do it, you can do it!

I get up at 5 am everyday and I am at work by 7:30am (takes an hour by train with a 1 mile walk). I walk in the door at 5:25pm everyday, put my workout clothes on and go straight to the gym. I am home at 7/7:30, either me or my husband will cook and we are eating the latest by 8pm.

I think your downfall is cooking dinner first. I tried that and it never worked for me, ever. I want to curl up on the couch and watch TV. Perhaps go 5 days a week, 3 weekdays and early Saturday and Sunday.

Hope this helps!
    Danielle
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Life was easy when I was unemployed but I just got a temp job. Great news, but how do all you employed people fit in a gym session into your day? I have to be up for the am dog walk at 530 then off to work until 430. Walk the dogs, feed the husband and it's 730. My gym closes at 8 and opens at 6 am.

Any suggestions or do I just suck it up since I won't have extra calories from exercise to eat?

Beth

Why don't you try taking the dog for a run instead? You'll finish your route faster and get your heart rate up higher.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am up early to get breakfast and lunch for my daughter ready, get to work, gym immediately after, home by 6:30... I either know what I am going to cook or I have something in the slow cooker ready when I walk in. It's definitely hard work, but you can do it!
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I watch way less TV. Think I'm getting smarter too.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    You could:

pick a gym with longer hours
    workout on your lunch break
    workout somewhere other than in a gym
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I made it a habit to go to the gym right after I get off work.

See if your husband can walk the dogs when he gets home. And make dinner after the gym.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Can your husband take the dogs for a walk? Or take them for a walk later?

I get off work at 4:30 as well and go straight to the gym (30-40 minute drive). I'm home by 6:15. Eat dinner (usually a protein shake or cooked meal my husband makes), walk the dogs if they haven't been walked and chill out the rest of the night (or do household chores).
  • mikedel48
    mikedel48 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How about this:

Run with the dog in the AM.
    Have your husband walk the dogs and make dinner in the evenings on alternate nights. That allows you to get to the gym every other night during the week and on weekends
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    That's a shame you can't get this to work. Can't your husband help you out any here? He could have the protein and everything ready to go when you got home so you could get a better start on trying to fit this in.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    You have three and a half hours between when you get off work at 4:30 and when the gym closes at 8:00.

As someone else suggested, you could take the dogs for a run, instead of a walk, hit the the gym, then come home and make dinner. You and your husband will eat later than you usually do.

Or, if shifting dinner time isn't acceptable, then just drop your gym membership. You will save money and you can work out at home for free. Your local public library will have numerous work out DVDs that you can borrow. Or, you can make up your own bodyweight exercise routines (use the Internet to find the exercises or borrow a book from the library).

A gym membership is not a necessity for weight loss or general fitness. If you are set on lifting weights, and want to keep the gym membership then you are going to have to be more flexible about dinner time or breakfast time.

Edited to add:
    I just read one of the other replies. Finding a gym with longer hours would be good.
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    I work a pretty demanding job. I'm a mom (2 young kids) and wife. I'm also training for tough mudder. You just pick your priorities. I haven't seen my non workout friends in forever. I do see my gym partners all the time b/c we workout together. I also incorporate family time w/ exercise. For example, I do pull ups at the playground that my kids play at. We go on hikes. I also take them to the kids section at the gym, which they like.

My husband understands my goals so he is very supportive.

It basically boils down to what you want to do. For example, instead of "walking" the dog... sprint w/ the dog.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think maybe your dogs are sabotaging you.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have a 9-5 plus a bunch of freelance stuff and property management on the side. I fit it in by:

1. sitting down at the beginning of each week and scheduling in my workout alongside my other tasks and appointments. First I look for early morning classes I want to take, then I fill in cardio/gym time.. just like I would with an appointment

2. Utlizing the early morning hours. I second the motion to go running with your dog instead of walking it.

3. 24 gyms are amazing.. you can squeeze them in whenever!

I take three early morning barre classes a week, then fit in two - three cardio sessions where I can (it varies, i schedule it depending on my week). Then friday night is hot yoga.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    ugh, what gym closes at 8?!

many are open til 10...i would consider switching gyms and workout at night.

ETA: cant your husband fend for himself a few nights a week?
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I have this problem all the time
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    That's a shame you can't get this to work. Can't your husband help you out any here? He could have the protein and everything ready to go when you got home so you could get a better start on trying to fit this in.
    winning strategy right there
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I leave the house at 8 in the morning, home at 7. I just don't cook dinner during the week. Hubby and kid are on their own. Of course my kid is 19. But basically, I am selfish about it.

I used to work out in the morning, but can't get up early, so I go after work. I also workout in the house when I miss class and my gym is open till 11 most nights.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I'm a single mom that works full time and has a kid in three evening sports 5 days/week. Plus... I like to drink and exercise TOTALLY interrupts my beer time. So, a few things that work for me:

1. Exercise at lunch... Whether it be walking or the company gym that I'm blessed with, this is gold.
    2. Hire a trainer that comes to your house... I love mine. My kid can be present and even try figuring out how to do a push-up.
    3. Do a Sunday cook-fest so that meals are not an issue.

And then all the other stuff the peeps above me said. If it's a priority (like beer is to me) you will find a way.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I'm a single mom that works full time and has a kid in three evening sports 5 days/week. Plus... I like to drink and exercise TOTALLY interrupts my beer time. So, a few things that work for me:

1. Exercise at lunch... Whether it be walking or the company gym that I'm blessed with, this is gold.
    2. Hire a trainer that comes to your house... I love mine. My kid can be present and even try figuring out how to do a push-up.
    3. Do a Sunday cook-fest so that meals are not an issue.

And then all the other stuff the peeps above me said. If it's a priority (like beer is to me) you will find a way.

^^ the Sunday cook-fest is a must do. I cook most of my food for the week on Sundays. I even pre-cut/chop my fruits and veggies and put them in individual containers for each day's breakfast/lunch. I hard boil the eggs I eat for breakfast everyday too. I grill a bunch of chicken and other *kitten* too so all I have to do is re-warm it and throw in a veggie or two.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    What time do you have to be at work and how far is work from the gym? I'm just confused because you say that you walk the dogs at 5:30 then you're "off to work until 4:30". You don't say what time you have to be there.

Also why can't your husband walk the dogs and feed himself when he gets home?