Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• Shaolin_Life
    Shaolin_Life Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Gym snobs crack me up. You're taking a big, important step. Go in, avail yourself of their free trainer, get acclimated.. keep your earbuds in....and KICK *kitten*!!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Im shocked by the negativity im hearing about the facility. Im in Oklahoma and have always had nothing but posotive experiences.... I hope if you decide to go you have the same.

The negativity is coming from those who feel it's not a "real" gym because it doesn't have the squat racks, there's a lunk alarm, pizza and bagels once a month. Apparently from what I have read you're forced to eat the pizza and bagels and any gym that offers that is the devil. I, for one, have NEVER been there on "pizza night" and if I was I wouldn't eat it any way. I've been there for the coffee and bagels and yeah, I take a bagel, bring it home and most of the time don't eat it or have half (bagels aren't bad BTW and neither is pizza). What I don't get is how this differs from a gym that offers "protein shakes" that have 500-1,000 calories in them and they DO. I used to take a cycling class at a "real" gym and they had their smoothie bar with the calories posted next to the smoothies. Yeah, I get it. You're working out hard but how is that different than the bagels or pizza? How is a gym that has an area where you can buy food or even have say a wine and cheese night (like a gym I know had) to show their appreciation to the members any different?

Oh wait. It's PLANET FITNESS and they are serving PIZZA and BAGELS.

Seriously. I go there and I have no issues with it.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    OP:
    Not sure of where you're located but try looking up Youfit gyms. I only pay $10 a month and they have a lot more to offer than Planet Fitness it seems.
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    PF is great!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Gym snobs crack me up. You're taking a big, important step. Go in, avail yourself of their free trainer, get acclimated.. keep your earbuds in....and KICK *kitten*!!!

So, providing an opinion of one's said experience that is in a negative light of place which OP asked opinions of is being a "gym snob"....who knew!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Im shocked by the negativity im hearing about the facility. Im in Oklahoma and have always had nothing but posotive experiences.... I hope if you decide to go you have the same.

The negativity is coming from those who feel it's not a "real" gym because it doesn't have the squat racks, there's a lunk alarm, pizza and bagels once a month. Apparently from what I have read you're forced to eat the pizza and bagels and any gym that offers that is the devil. I, for one, have NEVER been there on "pizza night" and if I was I wouldn't eat it any way. I've been there for the coffee and bagels and yeah, I take a bagel, bring it home and most of the time don't eat it or have half (bagels aren't bad BTW and neither is pizza). What I don't get is how this differs from a gym that offers "protein shakes" that have 500-1,000 calories in them and they DO. I used to take a cycling class at a "real" gym and they had their smoothie bar with the calories posted next to the smoothies. Yeah, I get it. You're working out hard but how is that different than the bagels or pizza? How is a gym that has an area where you can buy food or even have say a wine and cheese night (like a gym I know had) to show their appreciation to the members any different?

Never been to a gym with a "smoothie bar." I hear 24 Hour Fitness has them but we don't have those around here.

The reason why we say it's not a real gym is because it's not. Calling it a gym would imply it was suitable for all manners of fitness goals. It's not. The available equipment at (and I stress this aspect) CORPORATE COMPLIANT PF locations is only suitable for people who are out of shape, operating at a beginner level, and whose goals specifically pertain to weight loss. That is their target market. If that isn't you then your local PF may not stock the kind of equipment you need to achieve your goals. Check with them.
  • Naywifey07
    Naywifey07 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have currently been a member for almost 2 months... I came from a local park district ($33)... Same equipment that I was using.. The best part of PF to me than my other gym is that it is way larger and I dont have to hurry to get to the machines (Des Plaines).... The other thing that I miss are the Zumba classes.. but other than that I like it..:blushing:
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am a member of Planet Fitness. I do not agree with the haters. There are squat racks, bench press, cardio machines, abdominal and stretching area, circuit training area, pulley weight areas, free weights with plenty of weight amount for the strongest person, massage chairs, and if you are interested tanning rooms. I have been to other gyms and I like pf. I am sure all pf are different, but then again all gyms are different. Pf is a good gym for all gym goers.
  • RGv2
    Options
    I am a member of Planet Fitness. I do not agree with the haters. There are squat racks, bench press, cardio machines, abdominal and stretching area, circuit training area, pulley weight areas, free weights with plenty of weight amount for the strongest person, massage chairs, and if you are interested tanning rooms. I have been to other gyms and I like pf. I am sure all pf are different, but then again all gyms are different. Pf is a good gym for all gym goers.

The PF you go to has this equipment. I believe that it has been pointed out...multiple times...not all are the same.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Never been to a gym with a "smoothie bar." I hear 24 Hour Fitness has them but we don't have those around here.

The reason why we say it's not a real gym is because it's not. Calling it a gym would imply it was suitable for all manners of fitness goals. It's not. The available equipment at (and I stress this aspect) CORPORATE COMPLIANT PF locations is only suitable for people who are out of shape, operating at a beginner level, and whose goals specifically pertain to weight loss. That is their target market. If that isn't you then your local PF may not stock the kind of equipment you need to achieve your goals. Check with them.

There's a gym called Big Sky in my state that has a smoothie bar.

And at my PF there are big dudes -- FIT, MUSCULAR -- dudes who work out there and seem to be ok with the equipment. The funny thing is that they all used to go to the "real" gym my husband went to and now they go to Planet Fitness.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    For the price, I really like planet fitness. I have no idea how others run, but mine includes "personal training" as a part of the 10$ a month. What this really means is that there are fitness classes and time slots where you can sign up to work one on one with the trainer to see what you need to do to meet your goals. I choose to do that, and what it ended up being was an explanation of what I needed to do and a walk-through of the machines I'd need to use. I liked this because, while I want to life weights, I don't know a whole lot about lifting and what I need to do to meet my specific needs. Right now, I mostly use weight machines, but they have a ton of free weights, squat stations and such. I see people using that stuff all the time as well.

I say, if you can keep yourself self-motivated, Planet Fitness is good for the price. You just have to be really self motivated, otherwise it's very easy to slack off.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Almost every single major gym has some form of smoothie bar. LA Fitness, Bally's, 24 Hr, Giant, Future Fitness.

There are some REALLY bad smoothies in the bar- and then you can ask them to make your own- I have them make mine- ti's not ON the board- it's fruit- milk- ice- protein.

just like I make at home.

What annoys me most about PF is the fact they offer Pizza night.

And that they are specifically targeting people who want to just be average- who never want to get actually fit. They are perpetually supporting the "I'll just come in and do a little cardio" It makes me wonder- if someone actually rises above and gets super fit- does PF kick them out for being to fit- for being to good looking and not average?

that's always been my burning question.

I actually was waking to my gym the other day and these two guys were crossing my path to hit Cold Stones (yes we have one literally RIGHT next store- it's hysterical but nom nom nom cold stones!!!).. and he looks over and goes- that's why I don't like this LA Fitness- too many meat heads here.

I'm like- it's Friday- at 9 PM. Who do you THINK is going to be at the gym??? the average joe just trying to lose 10 lbs? you've got to be kidding me.

Every gym is full of every type of gym goer- unless you go to a black iron type gym- any of the major corporate gyms have EVERY type of person in there... we have an army of Asian ladies- they are hsyterical- they crack me up- and they don't give two hoots about anyone looking at them- they come in and do their own thing and move on.

We have body builders- socker players- cops- fat people- skinny people. Everyone. Just get over this idea that most gyms are out to shame out of shape people. it's just not the case.
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    <---- Goes to Planet Fitness every day. I do cardio and I lift heavy. I Haven't gotten kicked out yet.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Just get over this idea that most gyms are out to shame out of shape people. it's just not the case.

QFT
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am a member of Plant Fitness, but I don't workout there often because my location does not have the equipment I need to meet my goals. Instead, I end up going to my husband's gym (at the police department) where I can lift and usually have the gym to ourselves. I mainly use PF for the treadmill when it is too hot or raining. I will have to use them tonight for some moderate lifting due to work schedules and traveling this week. I'm not thrilled, but it will do in a pinch with some creativity.

I do not agree with PF offering the Pizza Nights and candy. I understand "things in moderation," but to me it's hypocritical and seems like a plot to keep people at their "unhealthy" selves.

PF has it's purpose. It's right for you when it's purpose fits your goals.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I go there. I really like it, they're always open, it's cheap, and they have lots of equipment. I do weights and cardio there and yoga and pilates on the mats. There's all kinds of people there so I think it's a good environment. Not intimidating and they have free basic training for people new to the gym that need help exercising and using the equipment. You'd be surprised how wrong people exercise.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    And for the people whining about the pizza and bagels...they OFFER it. It's not mandatory to consume it for membership. It's also at times I usually don't go so I always miss it anyway. But pizza and bagels aren't evil.
  • trpeppin
    trpeppin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Love it. I am a PF Black card member and LOVE that I can bring a friend if I wanted to without charge. LOVE IT-Love the staff.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    And for the people whining about the pizza and bagels...they OFFER it. It's not mandatory to consume it for membership. It's also at times I usually don't go so I always miss it anyway. But pizza and bagels aren't evil.

not whining about it... just pointing out it's shameful of a business in the "business of helping people be fit" supplying them with complete and utter junk food.

Our gym does Member appreciation day- guess what food they have- a local company- that does health wraps.

it's the principle of the thing.
  • dizy17
    dizy17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    ive been a member of PF since December 2012 and i love it. the staff is great, its always clean and they have lots of equipment.