Advice on saying "No Thanks" for office snacks

Options

Replies

• Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Just say no thank you. If they ask why, tell them you had a big breakfast/lunch and are full.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    They know I am losing weight at work because they can see it. I just say I'm watching what I'm eating and that's that.
  • kayemmgee5
    kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I started to say the same thing "oh, that's nice of you, but I'm gonna pass this time" or "thanks for the offer, if I need a snack I will remember to grab a piece this afternoon". Sometimes I say "oh dang, I brought all my foods with me today, I don't need the extra but thanks anyhow."

Also, if there is going to be an office pot-luck day, I try and bring something I know I'll like/eat like a small veggie plate with hummus and put it with the other foods so not only I can eat off it, but others can as well.

I work with less than 5 people sharing a coffee break area so this works well for me!
  • missbis
    missbis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've been on both sides of this issue--(1) not wanting to eat the snacks and (2) eating them while wondering why others aren't partaking (then judging them in my head).

It's hard to say no, especially when it's for social reasons. You don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and you don't want to be isolated from the group. I also feel like an *kitten* because like I said above, I've judged people for not eating. Honestly, sometimes it seems rude, especially when someone's gone out of their way to provide treats.

BUT really...who cares what people think. I feel that the best thing to do is be honest and say you're watching what you eat. It's none of their damn business, sure, but it beats making up excuses that make you look ungrateful.

I'm still wrestling with this issue myself, so I by no means have any hard and fast answers.

Edit: I live in the South. I teach at a rural school. People don't take too kindly to your refusal. It sucks. =(
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I just simply say "No thank you." If they ask why I say, "I'm cutting back on sweets." If they ask why again I say, "Just a lifestyle change I'm working on." Any additional pressure or questions I just laugh off. Don't give into the pressure!

This.

Also, I sometimes go ahead and say things like, "I used to be a lot heavier than I am now" and that usually shuts them up since I am still overweight!

More often I am the one who indulges in a cookie or piece of cake with the rest, and then eats a veggie-laden sandwich or salad with chopped boiled egg at lunch when everyone else is grabbing their giant burrito or double bacon cheeseburger w/ curly fries. I have a sweet tooth. hehe
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    Like most posters here, I just say "no, thanks." If they get pushy, I turn it around on them and start acting like their behavior is kind of bizarre. "Why is this so important to you? Why do you care if I eat it or not? You're acting kind of strange - is something wrong?"

But then, I have absolutely no problem with returning rudeness with rudeness. <shrug>

I like taking the "Are you okay?" route whenever someone is pushing me to do anything. I have perfected this defensive move and execute it complete with innocent, wide-eyed concern on my face. "Is something wrong? You seem kind of tense today." Usually they're completely thrown off and confused and their attitude changes in a snap (especially if they were at the height of their pushiness moments ago). I almost always get an apology because I've suddenly made them uncertain of whether or not they're acting like a jerk and nobody wants to be the bad guy. It's kind of awesome.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If the food was brought in for my birthday, of course I'll eat (a token amount of) it - I'm sure your fitness regime can survive this sort of indulgence once a a year! Otherwise, I politely decline without making an excuse. If I continue to get pushed, I'll bring the plate back to my desk and discretely throw it away. People that try to impose these things on others have issues, and I don't have the time or inclination to try and counsel them back to normalcy.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Depending on what the snack is, if the person won't accept a simple, "thanks but no thanks" I can usually get away with referencing my lactose intolerance. If I don't know if there's milk in the snack in question, I'm not going to risk it.

My lactose intolerance isn't that severe, but the way I see it, my pushy co-workers don't need to know that. :wink:

ditto
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    Just say no thank you. If they ask why, tell them you had a big breakfast/lunch and are full.

Yeah, similarly, I just say no thanks, I just had breakfast/lunch (or I'm going to have lunch soon)
  • josyk7
    josyk7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just say no thanks and if they ask me I just tell them I cut back on eating sweets but if its something I know my husband will eat I will take it home to him lol
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    If the food was brought in for my birthday, of course I'll eat (a token amount of) it - I'm sure your fitness regime can survive this sort of indulgence once a a year! Otherwise, I politely decline without making an excuse. If I continue to get pushed, I'll bring the plate back to my desk and discretely throw it away. People that try to impose these things on others have issues, and I don't have the time or inclination to try and counsel them back to normalcy.

^^This

One of my previous jobs, the facility manager was very health conscious and always brought in a giant fruit platter for occasions. That was awesome.
  • JimmyLee74
    Options
    I deal with this all the time myself, and the thing that has seemed to work good for me is to just tell them that I'm trying to eat healthier, and then I tell them to eat one for me :)
  • AlysonM
    AlysonM Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I go to the 'birthday cake event' with my water and an apple in tow (although, I'm celiac and can't have cake anyhow). Just bring a healthy snack and when offered - say 'no thanks - i'm good' :happy:
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I say no thanks, if im being bugged about it i just say im on a diet, why does it have to be a big secret? My fat isnt a secret.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I work in an office that has a fully stocked kitchen for us - candy, snacks, cereal, ice pops, soda, pop tarts, pop corn. I just avoid it. No one is forcing me. If someone offers cupcakes on birthday days, I just don't take one. easy as that!
  • Mom2QJandT
    Mom2QJandT Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In my office everyone knows that I have been losing weight, so it's pretty easy to say "no" and not get much flack for it. If someone made something particularly for me, I'd probably take it and say that I wanted to take it home to share with my family. I've done that with cupcakes, cookies, etc... that people have dropped off in my office and that seems to be acceptable.

The last time we had a pitch-in and I didn't eat, one of the girls said "yeah, this is why you're getting skinny and I'm getting fat". I think that people (especially women?) want others to partake so that they don't feel guilty for indulging, but that's about them and how they feel, not about what is best for me.
  • Chemburly12
    Options
    I work with people that are similar, polite but slightly pushy. When "No, thank you" doesn't work, I just say that I had a big breakfast or lunch. I don't like sharing that I'm on a diet either. That excuse seems to placate most.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Ask the person who brings the snacks in why everything brought from their home smells like cat piss. They'll stop offering.
  • kellyhdent
    kellyhdent Posts: 46
    Options
    I, too, have to deal with what I call "food bullies". They continually ask and push as to why I'm not eating this cake they just made, or the fried chicken that's in the kitchen. A "No, thank you," or "I have food allergies" {nuts + lactose - ugh!} doesn't always work which makes it awkward. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings... just trying to make this lifestyle change permanent!
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Saying that you just ate something usually works