Advice on saying "No Thanks" for office snacks

Options

Replies

• kellyhdent
    kellyhdent Posts: 46
    Options
    The last time we had a pitch-in and I didn't eat, one of the girls said "yeah, this is why you're getting skinny and I'm getting fat". I think that people (especially women?) want others to partake so that they don't feel guilty for indulging, but that's about them and how they feel, not about what is best for me.
    I had this same experience the other day... it was so incredibly awkward because what do you say? Other than, "yes, that's true."...
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You could take and share your portion. :)
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I, too, have to deal with what I call "food bullies". They continually ask and push as to why I'm not eating this cake they just made, or the fried chicken that's in the kitchen. A "No, thank you," or "I have food allergies" {nuts + lactose - ugh!} doesn't always work which makes it awkward. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings... just trying to make this lifestyle change permanent!

Tell them what happens when you eat something you're allergic to, and make sure you exaggerate. My brother-in-law has no problem telling people how eating an almond could actually kill him, then following that up with, "I'd rather not do that to my wife". I have gotten very good at describing the food-poison symptoms ingesting lactose would give me. And I do it with snark, sarcasm, and venom, and a healthy dose of "and that will be YOUR fault!"

People who don't respect allergies bother me. A lot. Do they not realize the damage they can do?
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yeah if I don't want it then I just say thank you but not today. I might add something that it looks delish or something to that fact. Everyone in my office knows I eat pretty healthy so they know I don't partake if they bring in bagels or doughnuts which is nice and makes it easier to resist any temptations. I work with a great bunch of people!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The last time we had a pitch-in and I didn't eat, one of the girls said "yeah, this is why you're getting skinny and I'm getting fat". I think that people (especially women?) want others to partake so that they don't feel guilty for indulging, but that's about them and how they feel, not about what is best for me.
    I had this same experience the other day... it was so incredibly awkward because what do you say? Other than, "yes, that's true."...

I just usually go...

"yeah about that.... ."and trail off.

they stop talking to me about it. It's annoying- people always asking about stuff like that and then clearly not wanting to make actual changes- it's like they are trying to live vicariously through you. It's ridiculous.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Ask the person who brings the snacks in why everything brought from their home smells like cat piss. They'll stop offering.

Actually I generally won't eat anything that cat owners bring in, given the whole cat-walks-through-cat-litter-and-then-walk-across-kitchen-surfaces dynamic of cats.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    "No thanks and if you ask me again I'm going to smack that smirk off of your face!" - no?

Then simply "No, I've changed my dietary habits for health reason, thanks though."
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    We ALWAYS have snacks here. And they are always like doughnuts or cakes or something else unhealthy. I find it is much easier if i pack my lunch every day and eat every couple hours. I pack veggies and fruits to snack on in between my meals.

If they have something i really like i tell myself maybe after my carrots i can have a half a doughnut. So by then they are either gone or have been left out and are kind of dry. Or i picture one of the employees i don't really care much for fingering them up.

It really does help, i rarely eat anything here. I find though if i do, then i just want more and it is hard to just have one. That stops me too.
  • Basia_and4345
    Basia_and4345 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    ADVICE PLEASE!! Today is the first day my office had birthday snacks that I politely said no thanks too......since starting back up using MFP I really wanted to make sure that I didn't add any extra calories from all the office snacking. Two people asked why I wasn't having any....the first one I just said I wasn't having any today....the second I just said Im not in the mood for that snack today. So my question is, has anyone else had to deal with this and how do you tell them with out saying IM ON A DIET? It was a little annoying when the second person asked since all eyes seemed to be on me at that time, I really didn't know what to say, I didn't feel like I needed to share with the whole office that I am counting calories. Thanks for any advice in advance.

I think you handled it just fine.
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It gets easier. Now folks offer me stuff and then immediately say "Oh wait, nevermind!" or not at all. Your progress will speak for itself in time.
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just say no thanks and if they ask me I just tell them I cut back on eating sweets but if its something I know my husband will eat I will take it home to him lol

This too! My husband loves when I bring stuff home.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I like to say after my co-workers continue to hassle me over declining a piece of cake, candy, bagel, etc. "I didn't lose thirty pounds by eating ______ every time I wanted it". Usually shuts them up fast.
  • Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I let everyone pretty much know that I am changing my lifestyle. I don't say I am on a diet. They know I watch my calories and sugar intake. I also come prepared. I always have some healthier choices in my drawer at work, so if I am tempted I have an option to eat something that is better for me.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I just say "Thanks, but I'm watching my line/figure." When delivered with a smile it usually goes over well. Unless you have that one obnoxious person working in your office who will comment further. Typically people have enough decency to say okay. and smile.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I have people parade food in front of me all the time. And they get pushy, leave it on my desk, etc.

I just don't eat it. I have food allergies, and unless I know EXACTLY what is in it, I don't eat it.

You could use that as your no thank you - no, I have food allergies, does this have ____ in it?

It sucks, but if they get really pushy it may work. Some employees have stopped asking me now because they've seen how sick I get. It's not worth it to me.

But before that, I would just say no thanks. And if they asked again I would ignore them.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows my "rules" but they're kind of used to it because I'm a pescetarian anyway and lots of the treats include meat (cocktail sausages, dips with beef, etc.) so I don't indulge. But, I also always bring a dish I am cool eating and can share - fruit, healthy dip, etc.

p.s. You're not on a diet! You've made a lifestyle change that doesn't include eating junk. ;)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I smile, and very sincerely say, But you don't have to! and then I usually plug MFP.

I have a co-worker who was formerly the guy in charge of the yearly cookie competition, and was famous for his deep love of pepsi.

I had an opportunity like that to tell him about MFP.

He started using the site, and he has now lost about 50lbs.

I try to make sure whenever I plug MFP to folks that I am coming off as "I did this, it isn't hard, it's doable, you can, too". I deliberately avoid anything that sounds smug or holier-than-thou, because that won't help anyone, and makes me look bad. A lot of my co-workers have never laid eyes on me "before" and so I show them the picture, again, not to be "look at me" but to demonstrate that my "before" was similar to theirs, and to show that this weight loss thing CAN be done, without having to suffer.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    the skinny people say "no", eat in moderation, etc, and no one questions them. if you say "no" it gets progressively easier to keep doing so, and it becomes less noticeable to others
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I've run into this problem a few times when I didn't have room for (insert yummy food lacking in protein here). If someone is being particularly difficult I'll take the food, hold it for a minute, and then throw it away.

When they ask later how it tasted I tell them I threw it away. They eventully stop asking me to eat when I'm not interested.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    In my office declining a snack is met with a swift "Well, why not?" from a subset of the people. I'll usually just respond with "oh, I wasn't aware I needed a reason."

They still push.

That's when I'll say something like "Fine, if you want the government-mandated biotrackers they put into [ingredient] that's YOUR business. Myself, I prefer to remain untracked."

If pushed at this point, I'll go into an extremely long-winded conspiracy theory rant ... and insist that I'm DEAD serious.

I can play that game longer than they care to keep pushing ...