HIIT: proper intensity

Options
Hello.

I was wondering, when you do HIIT, what is more important, your intensity or your heart rate? I know it may sound lame but heres the thing, I can get my heart rate to 85-90% of my max without going as fast as I can. I hold myself back from going my hardest because if I go too hard, its difficult for me to do more than 3 repetitions (I must say Im not too experienced yet so giving it time should solve this). In short, will my workout be effective if my HR goes where it should even if Im not pushing as hard as I possibly can?

Oh and just to be specific, my goal is to lose fat.

Thanks!

Replies

• scotthobbs1990
    Options
    Three repetitions of what exactly?
    Shoot for increasing intensity over heart rate, don't hold back on it, its 'high intensity' for a reason! :)
  • Tryin2Lose20
    Options
    I mean 3 repetitions of pushing hard.

Thank you, that is what ill have to get used to--not holding back.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The key with HIIT is to go all out very high intensity for 30 seconds to a minute, and then go very low intensity/rest until your heart rate goes all the way back down, which can often take upwards of 3 to 5 minutes between sprints/intervals. If done using these protocols, you will find that you will be able to do more than 3 intervals. I'm guessing the problem is you are not giving yourself enough time between the high intensity intervals. If you don't feel like you're going to die after each interval, you're doing it wrong.
  • Tryin2Lose20
    Options
    Thanks for the reply guys. I will strive for going as fast as possible!