Questions about weight loss with Adrenal Fatigue

Options
Hi, I have a question about something I just started on. Recently I decided to go see a Naturpath on the suggestion of multiple coworkers. I used to be able to workout on a regular basis. Then went to where my joints were so bad from RA that I could barely work. And even within the past 2 months within 30min of arriving at work I would have to lay down for an hour. I had no energy and lethargic. I learned that she had thought I had Adrenal Fatigue and wanted to do testing which was 100.00 that I didn't have at the time. I was also spending it in Co-Pays for docs appts. So I have since gone through a mild surgery to remove a cyst, D&C and now went to natural store and bought some Adrenal Fatigue. I am now on my 3rd week back in the gym. I'm working with a personal trainer to get back going. He actually has me doing some pretty good lifting and said I'm still in good shape which was good. My question is has anyone ever suffered similiar symptoms with difficulty losing. In fact I have gained a large amount of weight. But right now at 3 weeks I've not seen the scale move alot. I do feel a little more tone. But should I be concerned? Sorry for the long post. I appreciate any helpful comments. (BTW..Did I mention I also no longer require work naps..yay!)

Replies

• GarethLosing
    Options
    Adrenal fatigue is psuedoscience - it's not real. It's a scam used to sell products and keep fake doctors in business.

There is a reason they are a naturpath and not a doctor - they have no evidence or proof for the rubbish they spout. If any of it were true, it'd just be dealt with by normal doctors.

If you have real symptoms, see a doctor - but the most likely things are you are not getting enough sleep, or you are eating far too little (unlikely, but possible). Anything you take that isn't proven in placebo-controlled studies will just give you the placebo effect, if anything. Don't waste your money on it - or, for that matter, risk your health by ignoring symptoms that might need *real* treatment.
  • Danalynn39
    Danalynn39 Posts: 38
    Options
    So most likely the 25.00 copay and 15.00 I spent did nothing but empty my pocketbook as usual. That stinks. I was hoping to find anything. I guess at this point I am happy to have the results I'm getting back in the gym. I'll get a check up and keep seeing where things go. My eating has improved. I'm cleaning that up. Eating every few hours. And getting regular sleep. Appreciate your input.
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had a cortisol test performed by a reputable doctor? If not, I would not take any supplements before doing so!
  • wannabhealthy50
    Options
    Adrenal fatigue, the actual disease, is real but is only diagnosed via cortisol level being drawn through blood.
  • Danalynn39
    Options
    I have not. I thought it was. And didn't understand the response. But have never had any tests. That must be the test they want to do?
  • Ann_Marie_2x_MORE
    Ann_Marie_2x_MORE Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't happen to be drinking diet cokes would you?
  • wannabhealthy50
    Options
    You could do more harm than good by taking supplements for "I think I have this condition." Please be careful!
  • GarethLosing
    Options
    Adrenal fatigue, the actual disease, is real but is only diagnosed via cortisol level being drawn through blood.

I think you are talking about adrenal insufficiency, something completely different and a legitimate medical condition. The two, despite confusingly similar names, are completely disparate, and if you had adrenal insufficiency, a (real) doctor would pick up on it very quickly, and no supposed 'treatment' of adrenal fatigue would help.

Of course, adrenal insufficiency is usually caused by tumors or auto-immune diseases, and is rare, it's highly unlikely you have such a thing, although if worried, as always, consult a (real) doctor.
  • Danalynn39
    Options
    This is interesting to get the clarification between the two. I will make another appointment with a medical doctor. Since I just had a cyst removed and I also have been diagnosed and am being treated for Rhematoid Arthritis (which is a autoimmune). So this makes total sense. And the other question from someone else, no- I do not drink soda. I do tend to drink a coffee in the morning and/or tea. But I'm not really a soda person in diet or regular. I have also made changes to decrease my dairy and gluten. Which has helped some too. And trying to watch sugars.
  • GarethLosing
    Options
    I believe it's specifically Addison's disease which causes adrenal insufficiency, not all autoimmune diseases - that said, getting checked out by a (real) doctor is never a bad thing, and if you do have symptoms, it's worth finding out if they are a sign of a problem.

Arthritis could be a cause though - lack of activity can cause tiredness, so if you have joint pain that stops you from being active, that could be a cause. It may be worth looking into activity that you can do without triggering joint pain, and see if that helps.

Of course, the disclaimer: I'm not a doctor - check what your doc thinks and I'm sure it'll work out.

In general, just don't put any weight on anything the alternative medicine people say - they are always in it just to charge you (or sell you some supplement/supposed treatment) - as the saying goes, if it worked it would just be medicine - as soon as it's called 'alternative medicine' it's clear it just flat out doesn't work (or it's just the same thing as normal medicine - sure, some root might well contain the same drug you can get in a pill - the reality is the pill is probably cheaper and with the pills, you can ensure you get the correct dosage).
  • Danalynn39
    Options
    Thank you Gareth. These answers help more than you know. I for sure will follow up with a actual "medical" doctor vs. the alternative medicine type. Appreciate yours and everyone's input!
  • GarethLosing
    Options
    Glad to help - it sucks that there people are willing to prey on people's health. Good luck in the future. :)
  • chrissys74
    chrissys74 Posts: 31
    Options
    Adrenal fatigue is absolutely a real condition. I am in severe adrenal fatigue right now and struggling. I have always been very active, in extremely good shape and even after having two babies, I went right back down to my pre pregnancy weight and was in a great place. Over time, I had some chronic stress in my life and became extremely fatigue, weak and could barely function. After seeing many doctors that were no use I started seeing a integrative medical doctor. They are the best. They tested all my hormones, thyroid (T4,T3 and RT3) as well as my cortisol levels and I had a STIM test to check for Addison's disease. This was ALL covered under insurance.

My results came back that cortisol levels are very low. This has caused my thyroid to not function properly and my other hormones to not function properly.

There is a ton of info out there about adrenal fatigue but most western doctors do not think it's a real condition. True doctors that have studied this know better. Send me a message if you want more info on this an I can direct you to some wonderful websites. It's a horrible condition and I am still struggling but I can tell you I am in a MUCH better place then I was a year ago.

If you go and see a "regular" doctor be prepared for them to tell you that you are fine. I almost ended up in the hospital because of very bad advice from many "actual" doctors. I was so bad last year I could not take care of my children. I have thyroid disease and regular doctors only check THS. I had mine checked and they said my thyroid is functioning properly. I went to an integrative doctor (also an actual medical doctor) and they checked TSH, T4, T3 and RT3 and come to find out I have extreme hypothyroid. I started taking medicine and completely came back to life. But, because of all those years of being undiagnosed, my adrenals have failed and I am for sure getting much better but still working on cortisol levels. They are finally getting there.

There are tons of support groups out there. I follow the Stop the thyroid madness protocol. Look it up on google. Good luck! Don't let anyone tell you what you are feeling is not real or it's in your head. You know your body and if something does not feel right to you, follow your instincts. I really do not think I would be here right now if I listened to those doctors.

ETA; you can get cortisol levels drawn by blood but the best way to determine adrenal fatigue is a saliva test done 4x in one day on day 21 of your cycle. It does cost about $100 because insurance will not cover it.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Adrenal fatigue?

Oh! So now I have another ism/ology to add to my woes do I?

And there I was thinking that my CFS and chronic anaemia plus the stress of my job was the the problem. But no.... according to all of the self help, non-medical doctor sites I have adrenal fatigue!

So what do I do? How do I survive? Oh! I carry on doing what I am doing, manage the anaemia, manage the stress, avoid stuff that makes the CFS worse and the adrenal fatigue will be cured.

So, erm, that makes it a symptom then? Not a cause of illness but the ramifications of other conditions.

I'll continue dealing with the root cause I think.
  • chrissys74
    Options
    Not sure what you are trying to say. I was diagnosed from a true MD. Actually one of the best in the area and he has helps hundreds of people with thyroid disease, adrenal fatigue and hormone issues. Before I was diagnosed I had to get on Prozac because my depression and anxiety was so bad I was scared to leave the house, I had major panic attacks and I could not get out of bed.

After seeing my doctor, I am totally off Prozac, zero depression and zero anxiety.

Chronic stress causes the adrenals to fail putting you into adrenal fatigue and if not treated eventually adrenal insufficiency. Everyone one is different but I had zero medical conditions. I mean nothing at all and Adrenal fatigue came on from chronic stress.
  • stefjc
    Options
    Sorry chrissy,

I got sidetracked reading the self aggrandising witch doctor sites.

As you said, chronic stress seems to be the most common cause and treating the stress will also treat the adrenal fatigue.

My own handful of health problems means I am probably a shoo in for adrenal fatigue, but it is certain that continuing to treat my CFS and anaemia will also treat that - but the witch doctor sites seemed to want my money!

Getting of prozac must have been like being set free - congratulations.
  • chrissys74
    Options
    Gotchya! It is so frustrating, I know. Thank you for your words. Yes, I knew something was wrong because I have never suffered from depression or anxiety before and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was given some very ill advice and finally found a doctor that gave me the answers. After 4 years! UGH
  • GarethLosing
    Options
    Adrenal Fatigue is simply not a real condition - 'most western doctors do not think it's a real condition' - it's not 'western', it's 'real'. Modern science is rigorous and a well defined process. Any medicine that works is not 'alternative medicine', it's 'medicine'. This stuff isn't real, otherwise real doctors would be working with it.

Yes, you might think that you had it and the treatments worked for you. However, you are being scammed by a professional scam artist, and the placebo effect is a very well documented thing. There is a reason why medicine has to pass placebo controlled trials - it ensures they actually work, and are not just expensive (and potentially dangerous) sugar pills.

Yes, you may have issues - it's possible that your concern over feeling bad caused excessive stress, which pushed you to feel even worse. When you had any treatment - the placebo effect kicked in, and you felt a little better, breaking the cycle and allowing you to return to normality. Perhaps you had a real medical issue - that potentially you are ignoring due to this 'treatment'.

Western doctors have no reason to try and deny treatments or illnesses that exist. Medicine is a field that has been developed for a long time - and yes, some ancient treatments work - many of the pills you take today are just purified, exact dosage versions of those ancient treatments. If things work, they become a part of medicine.

If something is 'alternative medicine' then ask yourself, why is it not just 'medicine'? Is it more likely that the entire modern medical world just wants people to suffer, or that it's not real and there are a few people out there trying to scam you?
  • ecassidy1974
    ecassidy1974 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi..it could be your thyroid. A simple doctors visit and blood test will determine that for you. I have had a low thyroid for 8 years, meds help but still struggle with weight. Hope this helps.
  • stefjc
    Options
    Well.... having being sceptical I did some reading in the medical library at Bristol University - not a place to find hoodoo, I think you will agree.

And whilst the term adrenal fatigue is not accepted or recognised the effects most certainly are. It is widely accepted that there are many other conditions, thyroid, anaemia, chronic stress being the main ones, that weaken the adrenal glands. They may even be a Catch 22 cause/effect of insulin resistance, given their job that only seems reasonable.

Western/real science does not focus on it as a disease/condition in its own right as it is always a comorbidity of another condition, Dealing with that prime condition also allows the adrenal gland to recuperate and, like diabetes II, it can be reversed with appropriate diet, exercise and whatever medication the prime condition requires.

Apart form the side effects of some common drugs, even injury, exhaustion can deplete the adrenal gland to the point were effects are experienced. And that is over and above specific conditions like Addisons.

It is not as cut and dried, monster shouting mythology as it seems. So, whilst I am not rushing off to find myself a potion or a cure, I am mindful of the possibilities. As I said before, continuing to treat the conditions I have been diagnosed with will also treat any adrenal deficiency I may be experiencing and, for me, that is enough.