Advice on saying "No Thanks" for office snacks

Options

Replies

• Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Advice on saying "No Thanks" for office snacks?

Just say "no thanks"

:flowerforyou:
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    OP - I have a few items at my desk to help curb that issue should it arise. If someone brings in something sweet and I feel good about my calories that day, I may have a small sliver. If not, I'll pop a hard candy that's only 15-20 calories. To curb salty snacks that are offered, I have some plain microwave popcorn bags I'll pop up.

I just am mindful of what I'm eating, and plan for any surprises (I.e. an office birthday). It's not easy, but having something planned for those times is better than munching away 500 or more calories in a pop.

Good luck!
  • adioschubs
    adioschubs Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I usually add a "I'm stuffed" to the "no thanks" if they push further.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Depending on who asks, I'll either say I'm watching what I'm eating (for co-workers who respect having dietary goals), or I'll tell them I forgot we were doing a pizza lunch or whatever and that I already ate. Which is 99% of the time the truth.

The biggest problem is food that someone has made. We have a lot of people here on work visas from various countries, and many of those cultures are highly offended if you don't sample some of their food. Otherwise, I'd just say no, thank you and be done. My job is largely service-oriented, so to keep everyone happy, I'll take a small amount of what they offer, take a small bite and talk it up. Then discretely get rid of the rest, later. Obviously you don't do this if you have a food allergy or some such, but if it's just an issue of calories, then one bite is not a disaster.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    You AREN'T on a diet. You're changing your lifestyle. You're going to have to learn how to stand up for yourself and, if it takes being a little rude, then do it. If they get their feelings hurt, then they'll know not to try and offer it next time. I have no tolerance for people who attempt to make my choices for me. It's MY body. I'll choose what goes in it.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    If I want to look like you- I'd eat like you.

I would be incredibly hurt if anyone I worked with said that to me. In some places I can imagine that being interpreted as a low-level form of bullying.

First- that's not the first thing I say- first thing I say is no thank you.

Secondly
    meh- not my problem. Toughen up.
    it's totally a true statement.

You were the one pushing (and I say that if someone is truly PUSHING- not just if someone offered it to me). It's one thing to offer a treat- but it's a complete seperate issue to KNOW someone is trying to adjust their diet and continue to be rude and pushy about treats- even if they are home made. It's just rude. So if someone wants to treat me like that- guess what.... you aren't going to get the polite no thank you. I'll be polite the first few times- but after that no way. I look amazing- and no one else in my office does and they know it. And they know why. It's no secret.

Someone told me once "oh that's right- you're trying to be a size zero"

get the F out. I don't tolerate "reverse" pushiness. I speak up for myself.

I think I love you.
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My catch-all lately has been "No thanks- I'm not hungry so you might as well give it to someone who is."

Who wants to be the jerk who tries to make me eat when there are hungry people in the office who really do want to eat it?

So far it keeps people at bay.

Hope this helps!
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I deal with this at work all the time. Our company buys us lunch twice a week, and it is not really healthy. I just take it home. Or eat half of whatever is given to me.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    ADVICE PLEASE!! Today is the first day my office had birthday snacks that I politely said no thanks too......since starting back up using MFP I really wanted to make sure that I didn't add any extra calories from all the office snacking. Two people asked why I wasn't having any....the first one I just said I wasn't having any today....the second I just said Im not in the mood for that snack today. So my question is, has anyone else had to deal with this and how do you tell them with out saying IM ON A DIET? It was a little annoying when the second person asked since all eyes seemed to be on me at that time, I really didn't know what to say, I didn't feel like I needed to share with the whole office that I am counting calories. Thanks for any advice in advance.

definitely don't say you're dieting or everyone in the place will be bringing food by to screw with you.

Just keep saying no thanks, or I just ate a snack, or take one of something and throw it in the trash when they aren't looking.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I usually just say "no, thank you." If that's not enough I just tell them that I'm watching what I'm eating or counting calories. Sometimes you still have those that continue to bug you and this isn't just at work, sometimes its friends or family too. They'll say "one bite of cake won't hurt you." My reply is usually, "if I have one bite, I will want to eat the whole thing and I need to eat dinner later!" In the worst of cases I tell them that they're being a food pusher and I'm not too fond of food pushers. Food pushers are the worst!
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    If you have someone truly nosy you need to redirect. If you tell them you are on a diet or trying to lose weight they will often take that as an invitation to discuss your food. I have declined food many times and sometimes I honestly didn't want it, wasn't hungry, etc. Once in awhile someone will push back but I think most people are respectful. I have a coworker that I think has an eating disorder. She is more than happy to partake in cake and sweets when they come in and often makes comments like "oh gosh this is great I didn't eat anything today! or or I only ate popcorn for lunch" but any time someone brings in healthier options like a veggie platter she doesn't touch it. I don't question or push her though - I don't want anything to do with her food issues. So maybe some of you only think overweight people eat unhealthy at the office but... think again.
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    Allergies. Best excuse ever.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    everyone in my office knows I am the "healthy one" so they don't even bother anymore..if you say "no" enough times they will just stop...

Like everyday they do "somewhere" to get lunc which equals mcdonalds, sonic, etc...and everday I bring my own lunch = grilled chicken and greek yogurt...and they are like oh the same thing again today, and I am like yup, it takes hard work and dedication to look like this bahahahahahahahaha ....that usually shuts em down.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    ADVICE PLEASE!! Today is the first day my office had birthday snacks that I politely said no thanks too......since starting back up using MFP I really wanted to make sure that I didn't add any extra calories from all the office snacking. Two people asked why I wasn't having any....the first one I just said I wasn't having any today....the second I just said Im not in the mood for that snack today. So my question is, has anyone else had to deal with this and how do you tell them with out saying IM ON A DIET? It was a little annoying when the second person asked since all eyes seemed to be on me at that time, I really didn't know what to say, I didn't feel like I needed to share with the whole office that I am counting calories. Thanks for any advice in advance.

My office is my downfall. I've even looked for another job because of the food issue -- but other offices are like this, too. On holidays clients and co-workers load my desk with homemade cookies and bags of chocolates (and I found out that one woman doesn't want the chocolates somebody gives her, so she regifts them and sticks them on my desk). We have a "hospitality fridge" full of cakes and donuts and brownies. I'm a junk food queen, a sugar addict, and can't eat it in moderation. Worse than that, if I eat a lot of chocolate I'll get a migraine. I've been to the emergency room twice because I ate too much chocolate junk.

I'm not eating that stuff anymore. It wrecks my health, makes me fat, ruins my skin, and gives me migraines. I don't owe other people that just to spare their feelings. I'm simply telling people, "I don't eat sugar." I've cut it from my diet because I have health issues. End of story. And if they leave it on my desk it will go in the trashcan.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    "No thanks"

I find it very frustrating and uncomfortable when people try to push me to eat food I don't want to eat, for WHATEVER reason. :grumble:
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Depending on who asks, I'll either say I'm watching what I'm eating (for co-workers who respect having dietary goals), or I'll tell them I forgot we were doing a pizza lunch or whatever and that I already ate. Which is 99% of the time the truth.

The biggest problem is food that someone has made. We have a lot of people here on work visas from various countries, and many of those cultures are highly offended if you don't sample some of their food. Otherwise, I'd just say no, thank you and be done. My job is largely service-oriented, so to keep everyone happy, I'll take a small amount of what they offer, take a small bite and talk it up. Then discretely get rid of the rest, later. Obviously you don't do this if you have a food allergy or some such, but if it's just an issue of calories, then one bite is not a disaster.

I have to second this. Sometimes I'll say "Oh, no thank you. I'm really full." Sometimes, it's easier to just take some of it, grin, be gracious, and then "do the needful" as they say. Sometimes the people who have the least are the ones most likely to share and well, it's not worth it to me to alienate myself because I'm not feeling it, don't want to eat it, or it's not something I can eat.

If it's something I can't eat because of an allergy, I'll try to state that in an "it won't be pretty on the carpet" kind of way, even if that's not how the allergy manifests itself. "That looks and smells delicious, and I'd love to try it if i didn't have this bloody seafood allergy." "What about trying some of it without shrimp?" "Sadly, even the tiniest bit of shrimp makes sicker than a dog. Besides, you know how our health care plan is. *laugh*"
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    "I don't really have a taste for it today."
  • Gothicwench
    Gothicwench Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why you can not say why, be honest and say no thank you I am on a calorie diet and I do not want to eat between meals so I will not be having anymore snacks and then you could add but I hope you enjoy them
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i teach, tons of food in the faculty room always. i usually just take a plate to go. tell everyone i have too much work to do, then when i get back to my room, i toss it. or i'll take something small, and tell them i am saving it for later, i just had a snack. then "later" never comes. i've also said that we have left over cake or something at home we are planning on having that night, and once a day is enough for me. eventually they got used to me not eating any of the sweets, noticed that some weight fell off, and now offer it, but don't even expect me to take it.

good luck. stay strong.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    My standard "no thanks" joke goes something like, "Oh, sorry...this is the biggest shirt I own and it's already too tight...I don't want to pop any buttons." The peeps usually laugh and/or smile, and then I quickly follow up with something like, "but seriously, thanks for offering, but I'll pass". Works every time without making waves. :)