Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Planet Fitness, but I only pay $20 for my membership plus unlimited tanning. It's cheaper than all the other gyms in my area and since I'm not working right now that's about all I can spend.
    My pet peeves about it are: over crowding in the free weight area, no preacher curl, no squat rack, and annoying people.
    If weights aren't really your thing, you might have a different experience. It can't hurt to try it for only $10.
  • mustang6411
    mustang6411 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    not a fan, I am very lucky to have a n all female gym nearby, and they gave tons of classes. So I joined there instead of PF.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

So it's like basically 99% of all the other facilities.
    [/quote]

Apparently, I previously hit all the 1%, "bad example" gyms. Colossal bad luck on my part.

At over 300 lbs, I was certainly never welcomed with open arms at Golds, Bally, 24 Hour Fitness, Aspen Fitness, or even Mademoiselle, who claims to be friendly and female centered. I paid for memberships at one time or another in my life to all of the gyms I mentioned. At two of them, I was actually openly and rather rudely informed by staff that there was "nothing here on (my) level", and that I might be better suited to Curves. At one other privately owned gym, when struggling during a spinning class, I was asked by the instructor "do you need help?" and when I answered affirmatively, was told "then go see a shrink", accompanied by a derisive laugh and a turned back. Ironically, now that I've dropped a large percentage of the excess weight, one of those two major chain gyms has aggressively sales pitched me at more than one street fair where they had a booth. You couldn't pay me enough to set foot back in that place. Stuff like that tends to stick with a person.

I get that there are "good" and "bad" gyms. I just don't understand why so many people are so up in arms over a caricature of stereotypical behavior being called out in advertising. It's a common application in marketing, and happens all. The freaking. Time. What is it hurting you if you're not exhibiting that behavior yourself?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    So it's like basically 99% of all the other facilities.

Apparently, I previously hit all the 1%, "bad example" gyms. Colossal bad luck on my part.

At over 300 lbs, I was certainly never welcomed with open arms at Golds, Bally, 24 Hour Fitness, Aspen Fitness, or even Mademoiselle, who claims to be friendly and female centered. I paid for memberships at one time or another in my life to all of the gyms I mentioned. At two of them, I was actually openly and rather rudely informed by staff that there was "nothing here on (my) level", and that I might be better suited to Curves. At one other privately owned gym, when struggling during a spinning class, I was asked by the instructor "do you need help?" and when I answered affirmatively, was told "then go see a shrink", accompanied by a derisive laugh and a turned back. Ironically, now that I've dropped a large percentage of the excess weight, one of those two major chain gyms has aggressively sales pitched me at more than one street fair where they had a booth. You couldn't pay me enough to set foot back in that place. Stuff like that tends to stick with a person.

I get that there are "good" and "bad" gyms. I just don't understand why so many people are so up in arms over a caricature of stereotypical behavior being called out in advertising. It's a common application in marketing, and happens all. The freaking. Time. What is it hurting you if you're not exhibiting that behavior yourself?

Apparently so. I've been a member at two of the gyms you've listed, and other local ones and never observed such behavior.

It's not hurting me at all, I just find it ironic. Judgment Free Zone, but they have a "stupid person" alarm on the wall.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I dig Planet Fitness. I suffer from hypothyroidism and I do a lot of cardio work there. I have lost 40 lbs of this morning. I don't really have anything bad to say. It is geared toward beginner to intermediate work out types. No cross training occurs there. It is open 24 hours. You can really do what you want. 5:00 PM workouts can be a little bit crowded. However, it is $10-20 a month. That deal can be beat in this next of the woods.
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    mariabraceyrobinson Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thinking abut joining a Planet Fitness near me, but I've hear mixed reviews. Anyone have any input on the matter?

I have a membership & I love it. It's open 24hrs, so I go when I feel like it. I don't like the fact that at most gyms everybody goes after work, so you can't get on what you want. Planet fitness has plenty of treadmills & other machines to go around even at high volume times. Join. You'll like it. If you don't, there's no commitment.
  • cclarkcts
    cclarkcts Posts: 97
    Options
    Love it there for the price and the people are great in my area.. very friendly and helpful.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,462 Member
    Options
    Stupid Oregon, the nearest Planet Fitness to me is 30 miles in all directions. I would love to go as I have physical limitations (severe) that prevents me from lifting and doing squats. I can do lots of cardio though. I live on a fixed income so this would be great for me. The gyms in my town start off at 100 bucks a month,and are catered to body builders, which sadly I cannot afford and I am not interested at my age to be a body builder. :sad:
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Apparently so. I've been a member at two of the gyms you've listed, and other local ones and never observed such behavior.

It's not hurting me at all, I just find it ironic. Judgment Free Zone, but they have a "stupid person" alarm on the wall.

You know what I find ironic? How many times I've seen this argument made, that "if I don't see it, it must not happen". Especially when (dubiously) supported by claims like "we're all too involved with our workouts to notice what other people are doing"...really? So, by that argument, wouldn't the claimant be admitting that they just MIGHT be too preoccupied to notice if such a thing actually did happen? Not saying you do this...pretty sure you don't, because you seem intelligent enough to know better...it just brought up a thought.

It would be nice if gyms like PF didn't have to exist, but the fact of the matter is, not everyone is comfortable with the experiences they have in a traditional gym, and that's why they do what they do. For what it's worth, I don't think the Lunk Alarm at my local PF is even hooked up. I've seen the wires hanging loose behind it.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    For the price, I can actually go to a gym. I like mine. TONS of free weights, medicine balls, benches, etc, etc.

Plus free tanning. :glasses:
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Stupid Oregon, the nearest Planet Fitness to me is 30 miles in all directions. I would love to go as I have physical limitations (severe) that prevents me from lifting and doing squats. I can do lots of cardio though. I live on a fixed income so this would be great for me. The gyms in my town start off at 100 bucks a month,and are catered to body builders, which sadly I cannot afford and I am not interested at my age to be a body builder. :sad:

the world is free to walk or jog in though
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm under the impression that PF is geared to be beginner friendly. Since it's so affordable and no contract, I think it's worth finding out. You may love it for awhile and then outgrow it and that's ok. This is all about finding out what you like and continuing to grow. I say give it a try!

There is a contract.
    I have been a PF member for almost 3 years now and never had a contract. Depends on where you go I guess. In my area there are about 10 gyms, I have been to most of them and they all have free-weights (up to 75), squat racks, and allow deadlifting. That being said they they are trigger happy with the alarm and that is very distracting much more than hearing someone grunt or drop weights.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm under the impression that PF is geared to be beginner friendly. Since it's so affordable and no contract, I think it's worth finding out. You may love it for awhile and then outgrow it and that's ok. This is all about finding out what you like and continuing to grow. I say give it a try!

There is a contract.
    I have been a PF member for almost 3 years now and never had a contract. Depends on where you go I guess. In my area there are about 10 gyms, I have been to most of them and they all have free-weights (up to 75), squat racks, and allow deadlifting. That being said they they are trigger happy with the alarm and that is very distracting much more than hearing someone grunt or drop weights.

When I joined I had to sign up for a 2 year contract.
  • RGv2
    Options

You know what I find ironic? How many times I've seen this argument made, that "if I don't see it, it must not happen". Especially when (dubiously) supported by claims like "we're all too involved with our workouts to notice what other people are doing"...really? So, by that argument, wouldn't the claimant be admitting that they just MIGHT be too preoccupied to notice if such a thing actually did happen? Not saying you do this...pretty sure you don't, because you seem intelligent enough to know better...it just brought up a thought.

It would be nice if gyms like PF didn't have to exist, but the fact of the matter is, not everyone is comfortable with the experiences they have in a traditional gym, and that's why they do what they do. For what it's worth, I don't think the Lunk Alarm at my local PF is even hooked up. I've seen the wires hanging loose behind it.

I didn't say it didn't/doesn't happen, I said I've never seen it in all the time I have spent in gyms. Yes, while working out I don't pay attention to what people are doing...I could care less (as long as it don't damage the equipment), but during 45-60 min cardio session I'll people watch and see what's going on. After I'm done I might spend some time talking to people, and actually know/knew a lot of people/trainers at the gyms I've attended...still friends with them. They wouldn't treat potential clientele, or people in general, in that manner. Again...my experience.

I believe 99% of people in the gym don't care who's in there and won't judge someone for being there. Where I go there are all shapes and sizes. Again, my personal opinion and experience.

I just think it's ironic that a facility that advertises a judgment free zone has something called a Lunk (by definition - dull or stupid person; blockhead) alarm on the wall, hooked up or not.
  • anaconda469
    Options

The walking part and low impact cardio (elliptical) I can do daily. Jogging is part of the physical limitation I have. I would like to go to a gym for companionship and hanging around people with common goals. I just don't want to go to a gym where body building is their focus.
  • RGv2
    Options

The walking part and low impact cardio (elliptical) I can do daily. Jogging is part of the physical limitation I have. I would like to go to a gym for companionship and hanging around people with common goals. I just don't want to go to a gym where body building is their focus.

I hate to bite on this one, but I will.

What is a gym that focuses on bodybuilding like? I've never been in one.
  • anaconda469
    Options
    In our town most gyms are privately owned. We do have Golds Gym, I went there for a tour and information, the fitness instructor took me straight to the free weights and said if I joined they would structure a weight regimen for me. I told them about my hips and knees, and I was told that this gym would not be for me. Same with our Anytime Fitness and Excell Fitness (this one is privately owned). I love all of the trophies on the shelves about the weight room. My friend owns a Crossfit center, but my doctor told me that with my hips and knees all I would do is cause more damage. I would love to go to Curves here in town, but it is so busy that the waiting list for machines is at least 20 minutes and it is totally expensive. Can't afford much so I walk and do low impact elliptical no resistance as my Orthopedist instructed. I hate getting cortisone shots every 6 months and this is one way to avoid that.
  • ZumbaLin
    ZumbaLin Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Our is good. Lots of equipment, nice helpful staff. Can't beat the price! The BEST thing is no contract. Give it a try!
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I currently have a PF membership.
    On the con side: The $10 a month ended up being attached to a $50 joiner fee, a contract, and an auto bank withdraw. I can’t stand auto-bank withdraws. I also am facing a $50 cancellation fee if and when I finally decide to quit. The “trainers” I have worked with are completely uneducated and have no expertise in fitness or anatomy and mainly showed me the equipment more than actually “training.” The clientele seem to be college aged, thin, over-tanned, self-occupied folks. I don’t like the “lunk alarm” at all. If someone is going to be publically called out and shamed for their behavior in a gym, they may want to target the gals making fun of others in the locker room rather than the men who are actually working out in the weight area.
    On the pro side: It is the cheapest gym in my area. There are always numerous machines available so I’ve never had to wait or sign up to use anything. There is a wide variety of ways to work out. You can come and go 24/7, so it’s compatible with any schedule. It has always seemed very clean.

I haven’t used my PF membership since I moved to the country. Just the trip to town now takes 45 minutes by car, 3 hours by bike. So for almost a year now I’ve been paying them the $10 a month to not look at me.
    I'll probably eventually suck up the $50 cancellation fee and go back to the YMCA.
  • ClevaFeatha
    Options
    Clearly no one can see eye to eye or have an opinion for them selves on this facility. Like I said I love it at PF... As far as pizza and bagels.... I've never had anything shoved down my throat probably because I am an adult and make my own food decisions. I think if its such an issue to most simply don't go and move on. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for others.