How to prevent bowel movements when running

How can one run a long race without having the urge to go.

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    about 5 minutes.
  • My best option is to go as much as you can before you run
  • betsyr13
    betsyr13 Posts: 45 Member
    The way to go, in my opinion, is to do whatever you can to make yourself go just before the race. Coffee, bran muffins, whatever.

If you can get it out before you start running, there is not much left in there to make an exit at an inopportune moment during your race.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 770 Member
    And this is why long distances are intimidating. "Hey, I've got this great healthy activity that will make you crap yourself in public."
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Just go with it

No one will judge you

You'll be fine
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Try to go before running....if you run a lot your body will get used to the idea and you will go before running. I run in the morning and now when I wake up it's the first thing I do!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    10-3647-01.jpg
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    I did not know this was a problem. Thanks for the info guys. I shall stick to other sports. I don't need to deuce in public, thanks!
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    10-3647-01.jpg

^LOL

Coffee.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    I have to stop eating "real" food at least 2 hours before I start the run. During a long run its all fake food like gels, gu, gatorade, and I don't usually have a GI problem with those.

Try to find the foods that will make you go quickly, and eat those 2 hours before + coffee or some form of caffeine, and then try, try, try to go before you start running.
  • rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    BE careful what you eat and how long before you run that you eat. I have to have a pretty much empty stomach.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Ugh I can totally understand your anxiety about this. I have anxiety about it every race as typically, about 3-4 miles into a longish run I GOTS TO GO! But I have yet to experience this during a race. Hmmm....The biggest suggestion is to try to go as much as possible before a race. Also, don't eat any "laxativy" type foods the days leading up to a race (for me, I have to avoid all sugar free gum lol). Also...I have started bringing toilet paper when running....as ya just never know! :drinker: And one of my favorite sayings is...You can't get a PR (personal record) without a PRP (pre-run poop). :flowerforyou:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Enema ..:bigsmile:
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    And this is why long distances are intimidating. "Hey, I've got this great healthy activity that will make you crap yourself in public."
    Don't forget the bleeding nipples.
  • Flush the pipes with apple juice a few hours in advance
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member

How's listening to a skinny white guy rap going to help?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    do the 17-day water fast before running any distance over 1/4mi.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Wait...what? Is this a thing? People actually poop while they're running? I see how one could get the urge...but they actually do it? While running?? :huh:
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Clench.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member

How's listening to a skinny white guy rap going to help?

He will scare it out of you...maybe?