Worse than Atkins

Options
So I started this new diet about a month ago. I love it. Granted it is worse than the Atkins diet so it has to be medically supervised. But it has been great. Lately, I have been struggling a bit though. I find myself craving carbs and sweets. (they are the same... I know) But I snuck a cookie the other day and I can't get over how guilty I feel. I have never asked for support because I don't feel I deserve it. But I have to now; Because I feel as if I am going to crack. I really want to stay on track... I have lost almost 20lbs (unofficially) in the last month. I won't know the exact number until my weigh in on Thursday.

I don't know. I am just asking for a little help and encouragement. Thanks for your time. Have a good day!

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Am a reading your diary right that you have your daily allowance set to 800 calories?! No wonder you feel as if you're going to crack. You're starving yourself, which can definitely have mental implications.

Whomever is "medically supervising" you is a quack who needs to have their license revoked. They are setting you up for an eating disorder, hair loss, reproductive problems, and a host of other issues. Healthy and sustained fat loss is not something you can or should be doing quickly. 20 pounds in a month is absolutely asinine.

Please, rethink what you are doing. There are better ways. I would be happy to be your friend if you want support from people who have lost weight and kept it off the healthy way.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I looked in your diary and I have to ask, what kind of jacked up plan is this??? 800 calories a day??? Really, no one can be expected to eat so little and NOT struggle. I know you said it's medically supervised, but I can't even imagine what doctor would think that is a good idea.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Why are you on a diet so restrictive that it needs to be medically supervised? Is there a health issue? This isn't healthy for your emotional well being. You should never feel guilty over a cookie, or like you don't deserve support because you had one.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Have to say I agree with everyone else. Not only is 800 way too low but there is absolutely no balance in your diary. Even Atkins allows for plenty of veg and salad to make sure you get all the nutrients you need.

I'm not sure what "medical supervision" means but any clinician advocating this without real reason (i.e. if you were on the verge of death due to morbid obesity and needed urgent surgery) should be struck off.

Use MFP, count your calories (which can be way more than TDEE) and get some happiness back in your life. The weight loss will be slower but you won't lose lean tissue, lose your hair, find your skin hanging off you, develop illnesses due to lack of nutrition and you will get your sanity back.

Google for a TDEE calculator and subtract 20%. Eat at that level, including a balance of all food groups, and you will lose weight. If you really want to do low carb then have a look at the Atkins groups on MFP for a more sensible way to do it.

*Sending you a big hug* (because I really think you need it). :flowerforyou:
  • Vokerath
    Vokerath Posts: 5
    Options
    I don't know if this applies to you OP but remember anyone can call themselves a Nutrionist, there isn't any regulations in most places including the UK. Dietitions are the real ones and none of them would put you on a 800 calorie diet.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Please listen to the above advice...

Anyone who would "supervise" and condone this sort of extreme calorie restriction when there is not corresponding extreme medical concern is only concerned with getting your money.

They've given you a plan that will work (theoretically) to "help" you lose weight. You'll lose. And you'll be miserable. But once you do crack and gain back all the weight (which you will) and then some, you'll feel like you can't really blame them because the diet DID work... you'll just feel like you lacked the willpower to sustain it. So they get away with it and you feel like the failure.

Please don't put yourself through this only to be in the same or worse position in a few months or a few years!
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    20lb/month loss?
    Just feel that muscle burn away. :grumble:
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    20lb/month loss?
    Just feel that muscle burn away. :grumble:

Seriously tho, stop and think about it.

You want to lose weight or you want to lose fat?

You're doing a great job of losing weight.
  • AmberNLettau
    AmberNLettau Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I correct my last entry... I apologize. I have lost almost 20 in 2 months. I mis-typed!

Also, I am supervised by my dietitian and endocrinologist.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I correct my last entry... I apologize. I have lost almost 20 in 2 months. I mis-typed!

Also, I am supervised by my dietitian and endocrinologist.

Is there a reason they have you on this diet? I think your carb and protein numbers look good. I think you should double your fat intake. You will feel much better and still lose weight (perhaps even better than you are now).
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Have they told you why your calories are so low? When you say an endrocrin is it for blood sugar/insulin issues? Are you unable to exercise? (just wondering because of the super low calories).

I would have a hard time on such a strict diet too. I'm about to start atkins - going grocery shopping tonight. You can certainly add me.
  • pkrichar
    pkrichar Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It was just a cookie don't worry about. Your human everyonce in awhile you will give in to temptations. I impressed it was just one cookie!