why do ppl do low carb for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    They think it's a quick way to lose weight, when really, as soon as you touch carbs again, you will probably blow up like a balloon

True; but the same with any diet - as soon as you revert to your old ways, the weight piles on with a vengeance. Low fat/low calorie is no exception.

I guess what I meant to say is there is no longevity in a low carb diet.

Not true. My dad is a Type II diabetic who has been on a low carb (mostly low starch carbs) for a long time (i.e. years), and he's still doing it. It's like anything else. You just have to decide that's what you're going to do and stay motivated. In his case, he has a serious health issue that is alleviated by limiting his sugar and starch, so his motivation to eat low carb is high.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    why does this OP always post questions that will get people in a tizzy, never to return to the thread?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    They think it's a quick way to lose weight, when really, as soon as you touch carbs again, you will probably blow up like a balloon

True; but the same with any diet - as soon as you revert to your old ways, the weight piles on with a vengeance. Low fat/low calorie is no exception.

I believe the point the original poster is making is that low carb pretty much just results in water weight loss and lower glycogen stores ...so the minute you start eating carbs the water weight returns and glycogen stores go up, resulting in weight gain.
  • TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I know a long-distance cyclist - in his 60's - who eats low carb.
    And I know a marathon runner who carb loads. What's your point? Anecdote does not equal data.
    It's a myth...sugar is a quick burst of energy - it is not long lasting,
    3 days low carb is nowhere near enough to have retrained your body, you wouldn't have even been in ketosis.

edit - without ketosis *and* cutting carbs, your body was left with no energy source.
    Why do people rush in and try things, without even having read the basics?

Why should I have to feel like crap in order for a diet to start working properly? My fitness goals involve more than just weight loss, I don't have time for that.
  • janiner79
    janiner79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You clearly have never tried it, so how can you so blindly object to something you know nothing about and haven't experienced for yourself?
    Low fat does nothing but kill your gall bladder - *that's* why gallstones are partnered with the overweight - it's only the overweight who embark on low fat diets. Gall bladders *need* fats - without fats they wither, and that's when we suffer.

No? Who says so? It's the easiest diet to keep to, less restrictive than most, and there are people still low-carbing now after 20 years+
    The indigenous Eskimos who eat vast quantities of fat and no carbs are doing quite alright - they never even heard of heart disease or gallstones!

I hope you're not trying to tell me that I've never tried a low carb diet... I may not be the be-all-end-all of diet knowledge but you need a substitution of energy if you're going to remove carbs. ie fats. Otherwise you begin to feel light headed, faint, weak and tired.

I don't agree with no carb diets. I agree with a healthy balance of proteins, carbs and fats with exercise to lose/maintain weight. This is what I meant by longevity.

Oh- and btw... I'm not an Eskimo so my background and history will be different from theirs. I wouldn't say that's the best example to give.

re:eskimos.. why wouldn't it? are they not human as well?

Lol.... Wow.
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options

I hope there is. Otherwise my life is going to be painful. There are quite a few Autoimmune disorders and neurological disorders that ketogenic diets can really make a difference with. I eat veggies and even some fruit. I just don't do any grains or sugars. I don't live on bacon cheese burgers, and the majority of my fat (it IS high, macros are about 50% fat/30% protein, 20% carbs) comes from vegetable sources. Omega 3's are very good for the brain.

Is it for everyone? No. Do I recommend it to everyone? No. But it sure beats the next medical step I was facing, which was an additional anti-convulsant and more frequent doses of opiates.

As an aside, do we cycle through trashing diets here? Last week it was pick on clean eating, and this week it's low carb. Granted, some of the information I've seen is from outer space, and I have no issue with calling people on incorrect beliefs about nutrition and diet, but the antipathy here drives me nuts some days. Just follow whatever sensible plan works for you, or has been recommended for you by your MD.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You clearly have never tried it, so how can you so blindly object to something you know nothing about and haven't experienced for yourself?
    Low fat does nothing but kill your gall bladder - *that's* why gallstones are partnered with the overweight - it's only the overweight who embark on low fat diets. Gall bladders *need* fats - without fats they wither, and that's when we suffer.

No? Who says so? It's the easiest diet to keep to, less restrictive than most, and there are people still low-carbing now after 20 years+
    The indigenous Eskimos who eat vast quantities of fat and no carbs are doing quite alright - they never even heard of heart disease or gallstones!

I hope you're not trying to tell me that I've never tried a low carb diet... I may not be the be-all-end-all of diet knowledge but you need a substitution of energy if you're going to remove carbs. ie fats. Otherwise you begin to feel light headed, faint, weak and tired.

I don't agree with no carb diets. I agree with a healthy balance of proteins, carbs and fats with exercise to lose/maintain weight. This is what I meant by longevity.

Oh- and btw... I'm not an Eskimo so my background and history will be different from theirs. I wouldn't say that's the best example to give.

re:eskimos.. why wouldn't it? are they not human as well?

Lol.... Wow.

cavemen never had gallstones either...
  • TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from personal experience, obviously everyone is different. I am following a low carb lifestyle, because it is the only way I am able to control my caloric intake. When I consume carbs such as bread, sugar, starchy vegetables, and junk food, I always overeat. When I remove those items from my diet, I am able to stick to a 1200 to 1500 calorie diet filled with healthy foods, not junk. It works for me. It's still all about the calories.

^this! high protein leaves me sated and if I am sated I am likely to stick to the diet. the other diets leave me hungry.

I am not on one of the super restricted high protein low carb diets. I allow enough for adequate fiber intake. vegetables (other than starchy) and The mission tortillas (yeah I know for some reason they are controversial but one a day and it's half my fiber. I HATE constipation) my net carbs have been 35-45 on average. for me it's totally sustainable. I've been doing daily keto sticks to make sure I remain in keto and I have been. I started testing day three.

I am going to allow myself a monthly carb day (although it comes two weeks into this diet for me for my birthday.) In the past when I've done this diet I haven't counted calories. I've had some moderate success that way but I hope to do very well with exercise, strength training and calorie counting this time round. but a monthly or special occasion carb day allows me to put forward any cravings I have in the future because I know I'll get a little on treat day. and you can still work in a little dark chocolate and wine with this diet.

Different strokes for different folks as they say. I don't have any friends at this point. feel free to add me if you're a low carber too.

Low carb high protein isn't a magic bullet. it has to be attractive to you on some level. For me it allows enough foods that I really like and keeps me sated, the two things that allow me to continue.

I see a few post down from this one someone is talking about how you can't exercise on this diet but they only tried it for a few days.

you're not supposed to do heavy exercise for the two first week because your body is adjusting. the first week is known for carb flu. you do feel a little crappy.. but it passes.

My job requires exercise and physical activity on a frequent basis. I don't have the luxury of ****ing around for 2 weeks waiting around for a diet to kick in.
  • Overridden
    Overridden Posts: 19
    Options
    I can only speak from personal experience, obviously everyone is different. I am following a low carb lifestyle, because it is the only way I am able to control my caloric intake. When I consume carbs such as bread, sugar, starchy vegetables, and junk food, I always overeat. When I remove those items from my diet, I am able to stick to a 1200 to 1500 calorie diet filled with healthy foods, not junk. It works for me. It's still all about the calories.

^this! high protein leaves me sated and if I am sated I am likely to stick to the diet. the other diets leave me hungry.

Low carb high protein isn't a magic bullet. it has to be attractive to you on some level. For me it allows enough foods that I really like and keeps me sated, the two things that allow me to continue.

...... the first week is known for carb flu. you do feel a little crappy.. but it passes.

this! ^
    Only my second full week in ketosis,still adjusting,and learning.I weaned my way off carbs for a couple weeks before I went full throttle.But I will say,without carbs I am not always searching for what I am going to snack on next.I feel better,little more clear headed and have organized my house from top to bottom,and oddly I think my skin is losing its constant flushed look I have had most of my adult life.

Started my first Squat Challenge today :) And on day 6 of 30 minutes of walking,hope to double it by next Monday.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I know a long-distance cyclist - in his 60's - who eats low carb.
    And I know a marathon runner who carb loads. What's your point? Anecdote does not equal data.
    It's a myth...sugar is a quick burst of energy - it is not long lasting,
    3 days low carb is nowhere near enough to have retrained your body, you wouldn't have even been in ketosis.

edit - without ketosis *and* cutting carbs, your body was left with no energy source.
    Why do people rush in and try things, without even having read the basics?

Why should I have to feel like crap in order for a diet to start working properly? My fitness goals involve more than just weight loss, I don't have time for that.

sooooo, don't do that diet then, no one is trying to force you. You don't have to follow low carb. different strokes for different folks. Some people find the benefit worth the drained first few days. Some don't. (and some people never experience the drain)

you make your own choices about what works for you.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have Type 2 Diabetes and no matter how much the American Diabetes Association tells me it's good for me to eat 100s of grams of carbs every day as long as they are "good" carbs, it's not true. My body does not process carbs well at all. In fact, if I eat too many salads during the week, my fasting blood sugars begin to rise. I have to monitor even healthy carbs from vegetables in order to keep my blood sugar within normal ranges. I keep my carbs under 50 most days and my recent labwork tells me that my body is happy and healthy that way.

Everyone is different and not everyone needs a low carb diet. But for those of us that do, we really wish people would understand that everyone needs to eat what is right for their body and not just label it as a "fad" or "unhealthy." Thanks for asking a non-judgmental question instead of just criticizing something you didn't understand.

+1

I also had to adopt a low-carb lifestyle due to being diagnosed with diabetes and then Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The misconceptions surrounding LCHF are astounding.

"it's only water weight" I suppose I was a water balloon, instead of being fat?

"it's not sustainable" Since diabetes isn't curable, only controllable, I'll be eating this way for the rest of my life.

"you gain it all back as soon as you start eating normally" I suppose this is true. However, I'd gain it all back regardless of how I lost it if I went back to eating what was "normal" for me before.

it's not healthy" My lipid panel begs to differ.

"you won't have any energy" BS. I have no trouble with energy following LCHF - Zumba 4-5 days per week, strength training 3 days per week, 1-2 miles on the elliptical most days, walking/jogging 2-5 miles with the dog most days, swimming whenever the weather permits and frequent spins of the stationary bike. In fact, I have much more energy than I've had for a long, long time. I can't recall the last time I took a nap now that my blood sugar is stable and I no longer experience spikes and reactive hypoglycemia. The dreaded 'carb flu" is also individual. I never experienced it.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options

...... the first week is known for carb flu. you do feel a little crappy.. but it passes.

this! ^
    Only my second full week in ketosis,still adjusting,and learning.I weaned my way off carbs for a couple weeks before I went full throttle.But I will say,without carbs I am not always searching for what I am going to snack on next.I feel better,little more clear headed and have organized my house from top to bottom,and oddly I think my skin is losing its constant flushed look I have had most of my adult life.

Started my first Squat Challenge today :) And on day 6 of 30 minutes of walking,hope to double it by next Monday.

I'm on day 7. I've had a lot more energy since day three. I've been feeling pretty good over all. I was thinking adding in exercise as in Cardio today a few times a week then mixing in strength training from week 2.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Different people have different levels of insulin sensitivity. For people with poor insulin sensitivity (insulin resistance and/or Type 2 diabetes) the best thing they can do is be sure their insulin levels do not rise. Insulin is the hormone that promotes fat storage as well. So those of us with insulin resistant are essentially "carbohydrate intolerant" and the best way to lose weight is eating a low carb (preferably ketogenic) diet. Reference: "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Drs. Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've been on keto for over a week now and my weight is going down. I'm sure it's water weight right now, but if I stick to what I'm doing, it will be fat loss and that's what I want. I still have the "poo-brain" fogginess that is associated with the keto flu, but I find I'm not too hungry, although I am a bit more irritable, but that can be because of anything. lol

Keto may not work for everyone, but for some, low-carb is the way to go.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,933 Member
    Options

I am not on one of the super restricted high protein low carb diets. I allow enough for adequate fiber intake. vegetables (other than starchy) and The mission tortillas (yeah I know for some reason they are controversial but one a day and it's half my fiber. I HATE constipation) my net carbs have been 35-45 on average. for me it's totally sustainable. I've been doing daily keto sticks to make sure I remain in keto and I have been. I started testing day three.

I am going to allow myself a monthly carb day (although it comes two weeks into this diet for me for my birthday.) In the past when I've done this diet I haven't counted calories. I've had some moderate success that way but I hope to do very well with exercise, strength training and calorie counting this time round. but a monthly or special occasion carb day allows me to put forward any cravings I have in the future because I know I'll get a little on treat day. and you can still work in a little dark chocolate and wine with this diet.

Different strokes for different folks as they say. I don't have any friends at this point. feel free to add me if you're a low carber too.

I see a few post down from this one someone is talking about how you can't exercise on this diet but they only tried it for a few days.

you're not supposed to do heavy exercise for the two first week because your body is adjusting. the first week is known for carb flu. you do feel a little crappy.. but it passes.

My job requires exercise and physical activity on a frequent basis. I don't have the luxury of ****ing around for 2 weeks waiting around for a diet to kick in.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-Qlq46dn-e_n_tJt7WEqgvg9iOA1mjTGT2TZQ93Hy5kJEJuWqQg
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    WTG, Steffiejoe, congrats!
    Low carb suits me for the same reasons, and it annoys me that it's *still* seen as a "fad" diet. I also eat more veggies than I ever did before when every calorie counted & I had to choose.
    Two members of my family are type 2 diabetes - I suggested low carb to them, gave them a cookery day at my house where we cooked up lots of yummy low carb things, and within 6 weeks these 2 people had stabilised their blood sugars and were able to ditch some medication.
    One of them was my Mom....she also lost 2st, and a nurse told her "I have to say this in strictest confidence, but you are doing the right thing". You see, a low carb diet isn't endorsed yet, even though the results are clear.
    Carbohydrates are an empty, nutrient-void food. The moment our bodies absorb them they are pure sugar.
    WHY are we recommended to eat so much of the stuff?
    Low carb WORKS, both for weight loss *and* health. Full stop.

Carbohydrates are not nutrient-void food. I understand that some people choose lower carb diets for a variety of reasons, but that's no reason to spread misinformation. Carbohydrates are a vital energy source (which is why even very low carbers still don't eat 0 carbs) and has important roles in the breakdown of fat, regulation of blood glucose, and protecting muscle tissue, among other things. http://www.sparknotes.com/health/carbohydrates/section2.rhtml
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Talk to me when you are a nearly 40 year old woman that had a couple kids....
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You lose a lot of weight to begin with, though it's not fat.

My brother lost 98lbs in 7 months; I can assure you it wasn't all water :laugh:

But there is something besides fat and water that can be lost -- muscle. I've read a lot of debate on the subject, but the argument goes that if a person does extreme low carb, but doesn't eat high protein and couple it with weight lifting, it is likely that they are losing a great deal of muscle weight instead of fat during a low carb diet. I've never done low carb, so I have no personal experience to draw from. Just saying that this is one of the never-ending arguments about low carb all over the internet.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-maintain-muscle-while-losing-weight/#axzz2a1f9RIde
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/3/1/9
  • That_car_is_full_of_balloons
    Options
    why does this OP always post questions that will get people in a tizzy, never to return to the thread?
    because i like to sit back and uh..... learn?
    am i supposed to answer my own questions?
    do i check-in every 30 min shining my flashlight?
    im gathering info and learning what works for other people
    i dont get why ppl post in threads just to call someone out, stir something up
    add to the discussion or please refrain
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Not sure. Wondered this myself. I love carbs. All of them. Plus, when I tried out Atkins (back-in-the-day) I was so lethargic and yucky feeling that I couldn't stick to it for long. I find it easier to watch my caloric intake and be active. It works better for me!

This is a well known phenomenon known as "carb flu" or "induction flu". While your body is becoming fat-adapted you may not feel as good for a week or two, but if you stick it out you will feel a-m-a-z-i-n-g after that. Also for those doing induction you need to make sure to eat plenty of sodium (3-5 g/day), that will help prevent a lot of the yucky feelings. A couple of cups of salty broth added to your food intake would have done wonders.