Whiting fish OR Tilapia

Options
Noogy1
Noogy1 Posts: 1
New member, Whiting or Tilapia is not the best fish but is cheaper, can someone suggest a way to make it taste good?

Replies

• RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    fresh herbs is a good start

and proper cooking I like to cook Tilapia and or white fish delicately over low temp prob best to go with a pan sear if its skin on or low temp bake if not. You can coat it in Panko or just use fresh herbs there is also wine reduction pan sauces I would use white wines like Orvito Classico or a Sauvignon Blanc something light crisp and fruity.

You can also go the with capers and lemon or lime even or spicy with a cajun blend or blacken season.

How about slow cooked just done with a mango habenero salsa or a chutney.

There is a lot of ways in which fish can be prepared and many cuisines to do it in some of my favorite include a shallot white wine reduction pan sauce over a slow baked fish with fresh thyme or tarragon or in another cuisine maybe done in a green curry.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I made blackened tilapia this evening. It was super easy and super good!
  • chefstew79
    chefstew79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Pan seared Tilapia with wilted greens in a stewed tomato puree.

In a blender puree a can of Italian style stewed tomatoes to make a sauce and keep in blender for a few minutes. Wilt down some greens by steam poaching in water or chicken broth. The greens can be spinach, spring mix, kale, mustard greens, escarole, whatever you desire. Season with a dash of salt & pepper. In a nonstick pan, sear the fillet on high until slightly brown on both sides. Note, the trick to perfectly cooked fish is to slightly undercook it because it continues to cook when you remove it from the direct heat. Remove the fish and set aside. Pour the sauce from the blender into the same pan and bring to a quick boil. Season sauce with salt & pepper. When plating, arrange the greens in the center of the plate and pour the sauce around it. Squeeze a bit of lemon onto the greens. Place the fillet on top of the greens. Chop some green onions for the sauce. Note, Grouper is also a nice flaky white fish, better than whiting.