What to eat when you work at night!

Options
I have the hardest time figuring out what to eat after work. I work second shift. I generally work 2pm-10pm. Sometimes I have to go in even earlier than 2. I only get a half hour lunch break. I work at a retail store that only has a very small selection of food. I usually just have some type of frozen dinner on my lunch break because that's all I have time for. The problem is that I usually just pick at it because I find most frozen dinners to be unappetizing. Then by the time I get home from work I am starving. I like to cook, but who wants to cook a meal at 10 at night? A lot of the time I just get fast food. I am just getting really sick of all of the processed crappy frozen food and the fast food. What are other suggestions for me?

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with leftovers if you don't feel like cooking that late?
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have the hardest time figuring out what to eat after work. I work second shift. I generally work 2pm-10pm. Sometimes I have to go in even earlier than 2. I only get a half hour lunch break. I work at a retail store that only has a very small selection of food. I usually just have some type of frozen dinner on my lunch break because that's all I have time for. The problem is that I usually just pick at it because I find most frozen dinners to be unappetizing. Then by the time I get home from work I am starving. I like to cook, but who wants to cook a meal at 10 at night? A lot of the time I just get fast food. I am just getting really sick of all of the processed crappy frozen food and the fast food. What are other suggestions for me?

prepare a week worth of food on the weekend or get a slow cooker.
  • amandaxob
    amandaxob Posts: 13
    Options
    Hey there! I work 5pm till 1am every weekday. Sometimes I go in earlier too. I do meal prepping.. so on Sunday or Monday, I make enough food to last me thru the week. I usually don't make breakfast or lunch a head of time. Because I like to change my breakfast often. Then lunch, I usually have a smoothie. I have one of those "to go" blenders.. where you add everything in the bottle, blend, switch lids and go! It's fantastic. Meal prepping is the only way I've been able to stay sane and eat correctly! I don't have any other time to pick out food.. which is why I've ate horribly in the past!
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I work overnights and then return to a daytime schedule when I'm off because I have kids. I utilize my crockpot a lot. I throw in some meat, add some onions and peppers and some spanish style tomato sauce. It tastes good on its own with sour cream or guacamole or over rice.

I'm not trying to be offensive but I don't understand why people always claim they don't have time to cook. I work full-time, have two children that are involved in extracurricular activities, housework, yard work, etc. The key is to plan your week. I try to have an idea of what I'm going to cook for dinner for the week when I do my shopping. I don't make elaborate meals but they are fairly healthy, home cooked and taste good to me and my family.

Cook a bunch of chicken in the oven and take that to work with a salad instead. I don't eat the frozen dinners because they are not very filling for the amount of calories. My husband takes a salad to work everyday for lunch. One of us makes it the night before so he just has to grab it in the morning. On Sundays I hard boil eggs and cook either bacon or sausage and portion it out in baggies for his breakfast and for me to eat at work.
  • amandaxob
    Options
    I know you weren't being offensive, none taken. I just choose sleep or going to the gym over everything else besides work. LOL. It's hard to cook meals for just myself too. So meal prepping is easier for me.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I eat banana and drink low fat milk or soya milk
  • hsnider29
    Options
    I know you weren't being offensive, none taken. I just choose sleep or going to the gym over everything else besides work. LOL. It's hard to cook meals for just myself too. So meal prepping is easier for me.

I guess it would almost seem like a waste to prepare a meal for one. I guess knowing I have to feed everyone makes me more motivated, lol. My husband works pretty long hours so I normally cook during the week.
  • tonguetied69
    Options
    I struggle all the time with food intake on my shift. 1st job 4p-2a, 2nd job, on now 12a-8a. I try to eat fruits and veggies during the late hours. Try Progresso Light Soups, Zesty Santa Fe Style Chicken is my favorite. Just had it with watermelon and drinking a Lipton diet Green Tea mixed berry. My 1st job is the hardest. Everybody wants to eat out every night at a different restaurant. Drinking water helps too!!
  • RoninLife
    RoninLife Posts: 64
    Options
    I work third shift (midnight- 8:30 AM) and I always struggle with what to eat and more importantly, when to eat. Right now I am sticking with whole wheat, whole grain pita breads, organic fruits and veggies (fresh and frozen), slow cooked oatmeal, Boarshead turkey deli meats, cage free-organic eggs and Applegate turkey bacon, and cheeses (no nitrates, no hormones, etc) . I used to be a Lean Cuisine junkie, and a diet soda and Splenda addict. But I have removed both from my diet. I also donated my microwave. I mainly stick to sandwiches because it's easy. Sandwich, and a fruit, sandwich and a side salad. I know it's so boring, lol but it works for me. I just change what's in the sandwich. And I make different kinds of omelettes.
  • emzyloo88
    emzyloo88 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit and lots of water to drink... Cracker breads then porridge around 5 am xx
  • amandaxob
    Options
    I guess it would almost seem like a waste to prepare a meal for one. I guess knowing I have to feed everyone makes me more motivated, lol. My husband works pretty long hours so I normally cook during the week.

Haha, yep! I wish I had more people to cook for.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    My first piece of advice is to alter your eating times. I'm 3rd shift. Check out the way I personalized my food diary.

Next, like other people have mentioned here, SMOOTHIES SMOOTHIES SMOOTHIES. I used to drink one everyday for breakfast. In that one meal, I'd get 2 servings of fruit, 2 servings of veggies, protein, and a heart-healthy oil. It's really a great foundation for the rest of your day.

Now that I've gotten better at cooking, I cook all my food for the day right when I wake up. Is that something you could try?
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Afternoon shifts for me were easy, night shift 11pm until 7am was always my killer. I'd eat candy, crisps, drink Coke do a junk food run for meal break. At least it was the only time that I ate but still! No wonder shift work adds years onto your life!

I only had a half hour meal break but it never stopped me from taking food from home. I always had leftovers, chopped up fruit or veggies in a container, yoghurt, cuppa soup. I used to be so self conscious of what people thought about me carrying in my 10 different containers (including condiments) but then I thought 'who cares'..
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I have the hardest time figure out what times I should eat. A lot of times I work nights, then have class during the day, meetings in the afternoons so I sleep when I can but I feel like I eat all the time!!! And garbage food. If I'm exhausted I grab a soda from the machine, but carbs and sugar are my favorite things to eat at night. If I figure it out, I'll let you know.
  • RoninLife
    RoninLife Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm not trying to be offensive but I don't understand why people always claim they don't have time to cook. I work full-time, have two children that are involved in extracurricular activities, housework, yard work, etc. The key is to plan your week. I try to have an idea of what I'm going to cook for dinner for the week when I do my shopping. I don't make elaborate meals but they are fairly healthy, home cooked and taste good to me and my family.

In my case, I don't find any joy in cooking. Given a choice, I would never cook, lol. I only cook for my son only because he and I don't like the same foods.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite things to do is buy a rotisserie (sp?) chicken the day before my work week starts....i buy bbq sauce, teriyaki sauce, etc. to put on the chicken---some nice variety. I also chop up veggies and fruit in advance to bring to work. Any carbs I usually eat early in my day--lunch and dinner are usually a meat and veggie
  • hsnider29
    Options

In my case, I don't find any joy in cooking. Given a choice, I would never cook, lol. I only cook for my son only because he and I don't like the same foods.

I don't enjoy it either. I like to eat good food but I really don't enjoy cooking at all. My husband likes to cook but he isn't home in time to cook during the week.
  • hsnider29
    Options
    one of my favorite things to do is buy a rotisserie (sp?) chicken the day before my work week starts....i buy bbq sauce, teriyaki sauce, etc. to put on the chicken---some nice variety. I also chop up veggies and fruit in advance to bring to work. Any carbs I usually eat early in my day--lunch and dinner are usually a meat and veggie

This is a good idea. I do this sometimes too and make chicken salad or shred the chicken and make buffalo chicken wraps.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I work overnights and I eat the same foods I would if it was daytime.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Buy some tupperware. Cook a meal for 2 or 4 or whatever, portion it out and freeze them. Do this a couple times a week and you have ready measured, calorie counted meals, cooked from scratch (so you know exactly what's in them) ready to cook at work. It's cheaper than ready meals, too.