Does the calorie tracker really help you lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY! Well for me anyway. I have never stuck to any healthy eating plan as long as this (about 2 years now) and I truly believe it is down to tracking what I eat every day and the motivation you get from the friends of MFP :smile:
  • yellerpeeps
    yellerpeeps Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. I have been using myfitnesspal calorie counter for a while. I count calories and track my exercise too. I have lost 50 lbs since I started using it. It helps me to see what I am poking in my mouth. I was shocked when I first started at how much I was eating. It was no wonder I was 90 lbs overweight. Feel free to join me if you need a pal. I have lost everyone that was using it with me.
  • bunny92441
    bunny92441 Posts: 42
    Options
    I love mfp! It really does work! You have to track everything you eat. I have not been exercising since this heat and humidity hit and am still losing weight. Once it gets cooler, I will be back outside again.
  • yellerpeeps
    Options
    Yay! I have been using almost a year now and today I hit the 50 lb mark. I know my ticker says 47, but I had lost 3 before I started. I refuse not to count them. LOL. I am EXCITED! I love mfp.
  • yellerpeeps
    Options
    Yay! That is the same reason I have been using MFP for around a year now. I can't control my eating on my own. It helps to keep me in check. Feel free to join me if you need a pal. I am doing it alone now. having a friend helps.
  • mlfrailing
    mlfrailing Posts: 79
    Options
    Been struggling for the better part of my life as well, iv been using this straight for 7 days or so, its helped me a lot so far just mentally. it also shows you more than just cals, you can track everything.

I agree. I use it to track my sleep and it has shown me that I wasn't getting nearly all the sleep I thought I was getting. That alone has made me feel better.
  • LCMarie2013
    Options
    I believe it does help because it makes you aware of how many calories you've eaten and what you have left to eat or it you went over. If I go over or am close to my calorie intake goal for the day, I don't eat anymore even if I'm hungry now I notice. Keeping track of calories also keeps me honest.
  • curly1986
    curly1986 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for 5 weeks and its a big help to me. It won't magically make you lose weight, it just makes it easier to see exactly what you're eating! Before I started to use it, it was so easy to have a bit of bread and butter, or a yogurt, or a small chocolate bar and kid myself it didnt count. But it does! So if you log everything you eat and stay within your calories you will lose weight! Forget fad diets and pills etc, counting calories is the easiest and cheapest way to lose weight!
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It worked for me. BUT, it's not just about calories, I wasn't eating pizza everyday, I'm a clean eater and watch what I put in my body. I lost a lot with healthy eating but working out stepped up my game. As you can see from the ticker, I'm doing okay.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    As thers have said, its your behaviour not the counter that helps you lose weight. Its worked for me, becuse I log everything - every "thanks, I'd love a chocolate", every "Happy birthday, I'll have a doughnut", every "shame to waste that last potato". And I weigh most things - not lettuce, but cheese, cereal, pasta etc. I weigh potatoes before they are cooked, and for boiled make a note of how many are "mine".
    how do you deal with eating out at small restaurants that aren't chains and thus required to have nutritional information. we don't eat at chains. Mostly high end boutique kind of restaurants.

I am thinking enter the baseline for what you know was in it and then figure an extra 1/4 oil?

I either look at values already on the database and either pick the highest (because a nice restaurant is not going to use "lite" cooking oil, low fat cheese etc:bigsmile: ) or call it 1.25 or 1.5 portions depending on the size of serving, or I look on recipe websites for something similar (e.g. chicken stuffed with goats cheese and wrapped in parma ham) and round it up to the nearest 100 calories. I also make sure I eat lighter the rest of the week so I have "spare" calories - that way its a "treat" day not a "cheat" day. (And remember to allow the calories for wine - and make a note of the size of glass, or else enter it as a proportion of a bottle.)
  • Brenda4105
    Brenda4105 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Today was my 205th day of logging my food! YES, it works. I have exercised very little. I hate to exercise and will start something for a week or so and find a reason not to do it again. Logging has been my saving grace. At first it was just to make sure I stayed within my calories. Once I could do that, it became about making better choices. I could have that cookie or candy bar BUT I could also have a couple pieces of fruit, yogurt, veggies, etc for the same calorie count. I would be getting the vitamins I needed and able to have way more while still staying within my limits.
    It has kept me accountable. I have learnt that a 1/2 cup isn't always what I thought it was! Or 3oz of meat is smaller than you think. It is a real eye opener to follow your food in take, in black and white.
    Be honest in your logging. The only person you hurt by not being honest is yourself and your loved ones. If you don't want to do I for yourself then do it for your loved ones.
    The other major part is YOU have to really want this. I know we all say we do, but sometimes we just aren't ready. You have to commit to this mind, body and soul for it to work for you. Use the tips and advice on here but in the end it is only you that can make it happen.
  • KWhite72
    KWhite72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for a while. Up and down with my weight constantly. If you remember to also add your coffees, tea etc.... and be honest with the food diary it DOES work and you don't HAVE to exercise. I will do at some point... its just way too hot at the moment to even contemplate it. Ive lost 5lbs this week. Looking back at the diary over the week.... its really quite simple... find things that are lower than what you normally eat. I must have been having in excess of 3000 calories a day before actually thinking about what I put in my mouth. It takes stamina... but it works if you keep to it. Heres to more pounds next week :-)
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just take a look at the success stories. Tracking your calories is definitely an eye opener:noway: So much information, motivation, support, workouts, everything you could ask for. Once you get the hang of it, you look forward to logging on. Your only regret just might be that you didn't do it sooner!

I agree with this post! I've actually maintained my weight loss for a year using MFP. I don't look at carbs, sugar, fat or anything else...just calories. I went from a size 12 (stretched out!) to a size 4/6. I wasn't this small in high school!! It was easy to use and helped me realize that even though I was making better choices I was putting too many calories in my mouth. Good luck!! :)
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    how do you deal with eating out at small restaurants that aren't chains and thus required to have nutritional information. we don't eat at chains. Mostly high end boutique kind of restaurants.

I am thinking enter the baseline for what you know was in it and then figure an extra 1/4 oil?

I eat out a lot! And mainly at higher end restaurants that don't post nutrition. I either search for something similar (e.g. had a really rich/really fancy table side of macaroni the other day--I ate 1/4, friend ate 1/4 and we each took 1/4 home--I figured that 1/4 of it = 1 side at Ruby Tuesdays = 453 calories (even if it was much higher quality cheese, etc.)). I also do this religiously with ethnic food b/c it's harder to count...and it's getting easier with nutrition posting laws and the likes so more even small chains have data up that you can check and compare a nonchain place (e.g. for Thai food or empanadas). Or, I will add up the ingredients and add at least 2 tablespoons of oil to any meat entree and then butter/oil, etc. to veggies and other items (this is easy if the restaurant lists basically everything on the plate and you are good at measuring meat sizes--often you'll get 8 or more oz of fish instead of four, etc.). For desserts and other odd things (like chocolate pave or the corn and blackbean cakes I had the other night), I'll go onto epicurious or food.com and find a really rich recipe and use those macros. It takes a bit of time--but I don't believe others who say it doesn't work. Unless you weigh everything you eat, you'll never be 100% on for calories. I figure it isn't perfect, but it's better than (a) depriving myself and my social life or (b) not counting at all. I've been able to keep on track doing this.

Feel free to send me a message if you want more details about what I do.

Edit: If it really is a small local place, I've asked for a recipe or two before (e.g. one that I'd actually use--did it for a stellar tomato pie--i had certainty (it was wayy more healthy than I thought it was) and now I have the recipe too.

Yeah, the kind of restaurants I go to would be totally different in their ingredients than a chain like Ruby tuesdays. I expect it's a lot healthier over all. Chains use a lot of prepared frozen junk with words you can't pronounce. it's institutional.. It's even questionable what the numbers are on basic things like meat because who knows if it's real or mechanically separated with slime.
    that's why I go to the high end restaurants where they buy fresh organic local produce and cook with whole food items. in order to be required to have to have a nutritional count done you have to have over 9 restaurants(I think anyway) Looking for recipes for similar on something like recipes.com or chowhounds is probably a good way to find similar numbers though.
    Ethnic food can be a lot harder because who knows what all the ingredients are.
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Using MFP and purchasing a food scale have been the tools to my success so far. If you log everything, and stick to your calorie allowance, add a little exercise, you WILL see results. Good luck on your journey :happy:
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Adding to what WalkingMermaid said, a heartrate monitor is a solid investment.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,998 Member
    Options
    I second what Walking Mermaid said too - the food tracker and a very accurate set of digital kitchen scales have been far and away the most helpful tools for me during my weight loss - I'm absolutely certain that I'd have lost nowhere near 78lbs in one year without them. Both these tools keep you honest and accountable...