Middle Age Nightshifter (11p-7a) looking for support

Options
Turning 50 has really had a scary effect on me. 40 or so pounds overweight, high cholesterol, borderline diabetes. I spent the first year denying my age, and the last year making excuses. I'm a health care worker! I know better! Who am I to criticize the vices of others (ie, smoking, drinking, etc.) when I can't control my eating and exercise habits?
What I need is a friend who'll kick my butt and stay on me if I don't stick to the deal. I promise to reciprocate!
I'm just getting started here and need someone my age and life stage. I don't have little kids, they're teenagers. And I'm definitely not a stay at home mom. College tuitions for 3 are in my near future!
I'm looking for a fellow night shift worker (11pm-7am) or at least someone who understands the struggles of an upside down life and eating style. Anyone out there?

Replies

• darvin1023
    darvin1023 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i work night shift as an IT. You can check out my profile and see if I'm "sane enough" ...then you can decide if you want to add me or not..
    I work nights too (10:30pm to 7am).
    I must warn you though. I have a very twisted sense of humour when i post things on my status updates.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm not middle age yet, but I'm a 10p-6a night shifter. 911 dispatch. And it sure makes it hard to stay in shape!
  • mrszee1
    mrszee1 Posts: 11
    Options
    I work 8 pm to 7 am in a hospital. I'm 46 and my kid are grown. It's hard to work overnights and try to live like normal people do, especially with the trying to eat and sleep normal on your days off. I could use some support too if you want to add me.
  • mrszee1
    mrszee1 Posts: 11
    Options
    How do you post your ticker?
  • kzandarski
    kzandarski Posts: 51
    Options
    I am not a night shifter and I hate to admit that I am middle age but I have a small private group designed to talk daily, set goals, and discuss challenges. If you are interested in joining message me.

Karen
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Been on night shift for years and will continue to do so. (11-7) Nightshift does honestly present different challenges, i admit that. However it, like so many other things, it's just an excuse. Do what you have to do to meet your goals and do not let anything stop you. Make no excuses
  • uneik3
    uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm a night owl, but even I had to admit after 6 years working 7p-7a that it takes a toll on you and makes it just a little bit harder, but certainly not impossible, especially if you're trying to maintain a normal schedule on your days off. But that's okay, we all have our strengths and weaknesses in this journey. Just like anything else, you have to make it a priority, and appreciate that maybe you're working a little harder to fit it in than the guy next to you, but that alone is not going to get the work done for you. For me, it worked to make 8 a.m. the reset point where I would consider it to be the next day for calorie consumption. And if you have access to a 24 hour gym or can work out at home, it certainly helps. I'm no stranger to 4 a.m. workouts and grocery shopping before bed. You might even make an insomniac friend at the gym :-)