HerbaLife

Options
I have a friend that is starting Herba Life, Pros? Cons??

Replies

• Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Cons: It's an MLM scheme.
  • KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    Lost my gall bladder due to this diet. It's very, very important that you drink tons of water!
  • jbc43221
    jbc43221 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    it is Multi level Marketing - I know they were high quality, but have not used their products recently.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have a girl that does it on my friends list and she seems to be losing, but if you're going to do it make it very clear to the person you're buying it from that you just want to buy it individually. they will try to make you buy sets that costs hundreds of dollars, they will try to make you purchase a bunch of product/classes to become a "health coach" and make money on sales. i would not do that part at all. just give it a google and youll see pages and pages of horror stories about losing hundreds from the selling scam they push with their product.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.

And nope.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Find me a pro athlete who is using it.

Oh, Cristiano Ronaldo, you say? No wait, what about Lionel Messi? What about the entire Los Angeles Galaxy team?

Yeah, yeah right. Well, that must mean it's a wonder product and I encourage you to buy it because it will turn you into a professional footballer :)
  • rachvale
    rachvale Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've seen it work. But I've also seen it fail, when people stopped drinking the shakes they gained more weight back, plus some.

I've also seen that you can buy cheaper protein shakes from Wal-Mart and get the same effect, without buying into the cult mentality of Herbalife. Seriously, it's like a cult. Go to one of their meetings, you'll see what I mean.

A pro is that their clubs are full of supporters. They plan group fitness exercises. That's pretty cool.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Just another fix quick scheme. Highly recommend trying actual exercise and reasonable eating habits. There is no miracle cure; I know there are many people out there looking for that quick fix; but the sooner they decide to put in the work and learn a new way of meal planning the sooner they can get where ever it is they want to go.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Pros: You'll lose weight
    Cons: It'll be in your wallet

No, in all seriousness, you don't need Herbalife. You'll lose weight with it simply because you'll be consuming fewer calories than you're expending. However, why not skip the expense and just consume fewer calories with real food? I have a family member that's done every MLM and meal-replacement shake/product available. She does lose, but what's going to happen when the shakes are no longer being consumed? Weight comes right back, because proper eating habits are never learned.

TL;DR: Save your money, eat real food, just less of it :smile: All the best to you
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I took their vitamin (not weight loss) shakes 5 years ago. I felt great and had tons of energy. But....I couldn't budget it in anymore, didn't want to sell it, and trying to drink a big old shake twice a day was getting old.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat real food. My heaviest weight was 430 pounds. I've tried everything except surgery. The only thing that works for the long term is eating healthy and exercise. Everything else is temporary. Yes, you will find people that found long term success with any product but I bet you a dollar that they were eating better and exercising, as well.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    So many years ago I used it. It tasted pretty good. There were no selling tactics then, you just bought your shake and kept walking. They gave you a brochure to get anything else you wanted. Fast forward 30 years and I tried it again and it taste like crap. I swear, things that are not broken are always fixed.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The real problem for any of these programs (aside from the cost) is that they are short term "diets"; they don't help you adopt the habits you'll need for the rest of your life.

Frequently these rapid weight loss programs just lead to you-yo dieting. You lose weight on the diet and go back to your bad nutritional habits.

Stick to the basics, a balanced nutritious diet at a modest caloric deficit, add some exercise for improved fitness. Slow and steady!
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    A co-worker of mine has lost 40lbs using Herbalife (and kept it off) so I decided to give it a try. It's working well for me. Since starting it I've lost about 5lbs and 5.25 total inches from my body.

Am I relying just on the products? Nope. I still eat plenty of "real" healthy food, and I know there are things I can replace the shakes with once I'm done with them. However right now, it's cheaper than buying my food for breakfast/lunch every single day (I'm single- don't have to worry about anyone else's meal) and it provides me with a lot of energy. That extra energy and all-over "feel good" feeling I get helps to keep me motivated with my workouts. Plus, I really like the tea that I also purchased. Great way to replace coffee.

You can look at my diary to see that I am still eating plenty of real food. Sometimes I have a hard time meeting my 1,200 calorie goal, but that's because I refuse to eat when I'm not hungry. :P

Is it for everyone? No, probably not. But for me, my budget and my lifestyle (I'm not a big fan of cooking, so shakes are quick and easy)... it's working. And I have the support and knowledge needed to keep the weight off once I stop using the shakes/products. If you want to discuss it more, feel free to message me. :)