Lunch Ideas without bread/starchy carbs and not a salad???

Options
Hey everyone,
So I have been trying to not consume too much bread, or starchy carbs like rice for my lunch. I have been eating salads all week and I need help with other ideas. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks!

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Beans are a great source of healthy carbs and extra protein too! I recommend buying no-sodium-added beans. My grocery store carries black/pinto/garbanzo/kidney... maybe a few others, all in the no-sodium-added brand. I eat a lot of salads, but I add in protein (meat or a meat substitute), beans, lots of raw veggies, seeds, etc. to make it more interesting.

When I'm tired of salads, I usually have a wrap stuffed with the same kind of stuff I'd put in a salad - veggies, protein, etc., except I don't have beans when I have a wrap, since the wrap is usually 80-100 cals., similar to what my beans would be. There are some good lower-carb wraps now, I'd recommend La Tortilla Factory wraps.
  • MMarcordes
    MMarcordes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Try the 100 calorie sandwich thins... they are high in fiber - you can make a great turkey sandwich. I don't use mayo, I use horseradish, just to give the sandwich a kick. Tomato, onion, pickle, turkey, and deli swiss. The whole sandwich is only about 220 calories.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    Yesterday I had Tuna and Green Beans with a Tomato on the side.

Today I am having Corn and Salmon with a small bit a brown rice and a tomato.

Tomorrow I am having English Peas/Mushrooms and Lemon Pepper Chicken with a tomato on the side.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have used to Oroweat or Earthgrains sandwich thins since they came out and they are fantastic. Wolfgang Puck makes a great lentil and veggie soup - Amy's has some great ones too. Sometimes I just roll a few pieces of turkey around some low fat string cheese (one cheese makes about 3-4 rolls. Some of the low carb wraps and tortillas are great too. My friend uses canned chicken breast and salsa in hers. I also love the Lundberg brown rice cakes with peanut butter. Hope these ideas help you think of more! If not - here is a site for some recipes and swaps - most are pretty easy. You can subscribe to her emails or just search,

www.hungry-girl.com

Good luck.
  • suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try soups as well. You can find some great lower sodium light soups out there. You can also make your own. Then you have the ability to have something other than carbs or salad.

I have flat out wraps have very little net carbs per serving. I have been enjoying them this week. I have used turkey or steak and lots of veggies.
  • tolentz
    Options
    I have been using living lettuce as my wrap instead of a carb and then it is a serving of veggies also.
  • starstealing
    Options
    i love those sandwich thins that one of the previous posters mentioned. they're great for veggie burgers (my favorite? morningstar asian veggie patties)! they're also low cal and lowER carb. so, not too starchy... pair it with a bowl of veggie soup, or steamed vegetables!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I love chicken & steamed veggies for lunch. I usually throw in some kind of starch because yum, but you can certainly omit it. Today it's couscous, chicken, green beans & broccoli (I only have half a serving of green beans left so I supplemented with broccoli :tongue:). Flavors of chicken are pretty limitless. And I usually spice/herb up my green veggies, too, so I rarely get bored. I do a lot of dinner leftovers for lunch, too, so that keeps the variety going.

I used to pretty much hate salads but that's because I was being so uncreative with them. Now I crave them! Last night I had chicken, pear, gorgonzola, with a vinagrette dressing on mixed greens (whichto my surprised delight included fresh dill! yum!). I also love sliced steak, strawberries, and feta with raspberry walnut dressing on mixed greens (and by "mixed greens" I mean I usually use anything but lettuce in my salads :laugh:). Another I crave is chicken, apples, and craisens on mixed greens with warmed peanut butter as dressing. Seriously, salads are good stuff. I wasn't being imaginative enough.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I have a veg and cheese omelette mostly every other day. And a salad w/chicken on other days. :bigsmile:

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the wrap and sandwich thin ideas, but I am trying to stay away from any non natural or even slightly processed foods as possible.