exercising with children

Options
2»

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    my mom hated walking with me because i never can walk a straight line

*hmmm could that be another reason i struggled? Hard to enjoy something when you are being criticized for something you cant control.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I have a 6 year old, almost 7 year old. he has "run" 4 5k's with me..and a couple kid runs. The first one we walked most of it, the second we ran a little bit more, the third we ran intervals ( ran 1 min walked 30 seconds) the 4th we ran almost the whole thing. Now I won't take him on one of my "actual runs" as I have to slow down, or take more walking breaks than I would like. So on days that I run twice, I will take him on my shorter/slower run. We have also discovered he can ride his bike 4 miles before his "butt hurts" :) So that is a great option also. I have a lake close to my house that is 4 miles around (on a trail) so he will ride his bike and I will run. he just has to stop every once in awhile so i can catch up :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I do one mile fun runs with my 3 year old...I'm sure he'll be blowing my doors off in 5K races when he's 6. My excuse will be that I triathlon so don't have the time to dedicate just to running...LOL

What? Your 3 year old can run a mile? Need video proof of this.

LOL...he runs, he walks...he runs some more, he fall down, etc. He's excited for August 'cuz mommy and daddy are doing the Dirty Dash and he gets to do the 1 mile Piglet Plunge afterwards.
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but my 9 year old goes for walk/jogs with me and I just signed us up for our first 5k in August. I'm so excited. I also thanked my daughter last time for supporting me and encouraging me in my journey to be healthier (I never say lose weight or what not as I don't want her to think like that- it is all about being healthy in my family) she told me that is why she is here- to help support me. Then she took control of the reins to give us a point to start jogging and showed us how far we had to go before we could stop. She is athletic (plays traveling basketball) and there was no way I was going to let her show me up. I had to push myself harder than I would have if I was by myself. There were even a couple times where I pushed her to make it to two more light poles. On the way back we walked and we played a little game of tag, she would slap my butt and I pushed her into some bushes. Haha. We laughed and laughed and talked about her summer camp and music. It has been great going out with her.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Saw this inspiring family at the park, six kids, mom and dad all out for a run together. The smallest was in a jogging stroller. They looked so happy and healthy. I say just do it!
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm teaching my 21 month son how to do push ups. He has so much energy anyway. Plus, he thinks they are funny. Firm believer there is no age limit to enjoying exercise.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My 6 and 7 year old step-sons ride their bikes with me as I jog. They'll go ahead of me (still always in my view) then turn around and come back, go ahead of me and come back, etc. It works out well!

I see no problem with her jogging along side you, unless she will hold you back! Then just have her ride :)
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    No judgment - both my girls do 5k's and go to the gym. My youngest does the classes but my oldest actually hits the weights too.. With childhood obesity so bad it is great that she wants to be active. You should encourage it.
  • cazcarr89
    cazcarr89 Posts: 34
    Options
    To be honest I think you're setting a brilliant example to her and can only encourage her to be fit and healthy!
  • kirsty2604
    kirsty2604 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Good Lord, what kind of world has this turned into that we feel judged for exercising with our kids??

What an amazing example you both will be running together! Post pics!

Also, my kids did yoga at 5 and 6 years old, they found it On Demand and did it on their own. =D
  • notdebby
    notdebby Posts: 58
    Options
    The best exercise I have is the exercise I do with my kids. So much more fun than doing it by myself. I'm also doing C25K but they don't seem too interested in the running. It'd be great if they did. We go biking, swimming, walking and play various sports. I also like to go with them to the park and climb all over the jungle gym with them. We'll race to see who can get through the whole thing the fastest. I'm usually the only parent doing that and as my kids are a little older, I do get some funny looks but I don't care. My two are 11 and 12 by the way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old also loves doing the little circuit courses I set up for him in the backyard. He has such a blast.
  • kirsty2604
    kirsty2604 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    my daughter has done some dvd's with me such as insanity in the house! she loves it my 7year old niece also loves it
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to jog and my just turned 7 year old comes out with me sometimes. I don't doubt he has far more energy than me, but I think there energy is different to an adult. He isn't really up for much "jogging". He likes to sprint really fast and then walk a bit. He'll be awesome help for me when I start doing HIIT lol.

But definitely try it, it's fun :) We are going to enter a colour run in the UK next year so that is what he is training for :)
  • welshlassie
    welshlassie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Run a 5k with a 6-year old? Great idea! Remember that this is their race, not yours. Run at their speed. If they need a break, take a break. If they need a snack, give them one. And be ready to carry them at any time. If I can carry a 10 year old on my back through a 10k you can carry a 6 year old through 5k. If you can't, then don't run the race.

I work out with my kids, now 12-years old, almost every day. They frequently bug me to workout more with them. I will share with you my rules of thumb:

1) Child safety is job one. You need to think as if you have child safety written in big bold letters across your forehead. Everything you do needs to be considered in light of safety. This requirement is not flexible.
    2) Meet them on their turf. Select or modify the exercise so that it is developmentally accessible to them. For example, little kids need frequent breaks and snacks.
    3) Make it fun. Kids learn when they are having fun. For a 2-year old this may involve letting them be 'the monster' and chasing you around a field. For a 4-year old it may involve thunderous applause every time they catch a ball. For a 12-year old it may involve handing them a quarter every time they beat you at wind sprints (let them). And so on. Most kids care far less about winning than having fun. Who cares if you win the game if you turn the sport into aversion therapy? If you make exercise fun they will love you for it and learn to enjoy exercise their whole lives.
    4) Give them unconditional love and support, and never hold your love for them hostage to their performance. Children may be afraid of trying new things or have issues of self-confidence. Children worry that they'll disappoint you or that they'll lose your love if they don't perform well. Put yourself in the position of soothing rather than exacerbating their fears.
    5) Positive coaching. Use 'the sandwich technique' when coaching. If you need to make a suggestion, such as, "It might help if you face in the direction of the ball when playing soccer," make sure to surround it with three positive statements, e.g., "You are really enjoying yourself out here," or "My, but you have picked a huge pile of grass...you must be very proud." It may sound silly, but the efficacy of the sandwich technique is supported by a huge amount of empirical data holds true all the way up to Olympic champions.
    6) Set an example. Children are relentless observers and will learn as much from what you do as what you say. Make sure to behave in a sportsmanlike manner at all times. Try to get yourself in shape. You don't have to be in great shape, but they need to see you try.

^^This^^

Thank you, just what I needed to hear. My almost 6 year old is desperate to come out with me running together. I've started doing Parkrun and he so wants to come. Think I'll say he can come once a month with me and we can go out together at other times. He's cycled while I've run. I just need to remember he's still only 5 and can't always keep up - I need to find a flatter route.