Zero Noodles- any good?

Options
Hope so because I've just bought a packet to try!...

Any suggestions on the best way to eat them, what food they work well with etc..

I have a feeling that I may as well just stick to wholemeal pasta.

Replies

• Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I use them in a stir fry or with a tomato sauce, not too keen but gets me through without any calories. No taste so need something to pep them up
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Any suggestions on the best way to eat them, what food they work well with etc..

They are terrible, the best way to use them is throw them in the trash. Wholemeal pasta is meh in regards to taste, use regular pasta
  • laurelboynton
    laurelboynton Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use them in a stir fry or with a tomato sauce, not too keen but gets me through without any calories. No taste so need something to pep them up

Thanks for the advice.. I assumed that they don't taste of much. Hoping to get a few suggestions on the best way to give them flavour!
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of them! What are they made of? I am a big fan of kelp noodles in place of pasta. My kids even like them.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past the texture, so I can't help with flavor.
  • laurelboynton
    Options

They are terrible, the best way to use them is throw them in the trash. Wholemeal pasta is meh in regards to taste, use regular pasta

Uh oh! Not good news. I like wholemeal pasta, especially with loads of veggies and chill flakes. But regular pasta with a hell of a lot of cheese is incredible!!!
  • laurelboynton
    Options
    I've never heard of them! What are they made of? I am a big fan of kelp noodles in place of pasta. My kids even like them.

I've heard about them and saw them in the health food store today so couldn't resist trying. Looking at the ingredients it says Konnyaku Glucomannan Flour, calcium hydroxide and water... Yum. lol

but 8 calories, gluten free with zero fat, sugar and salt.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    There is a whole section of recipes and cooking suggestions posted on MFP. They say if you cook them right, they are wonderful but I have not tried them yet.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Rinse them well. Dry fry them to make them a bit crispy. I have found these two steps are key otherwise the texture is a little weird. Then I add my fave stir fry sauce & veggies & meat. I have to say I tried the "yam noodles" and they were decent done this way!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Rinse them off really well, shake dry. Dry cook them in a pan to get out the excess moisture, then add sauce or seasonings. We found to be the best way to have them. They are tasteless, but not bad if seasoned correctly.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Are they like shirataki? Those are okay if you mix them with good stuff. Texture is a little off, but my toddler and my husband have eaten them without complaint.
  • dubster
    dubster Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    They smell like fish, and have the texture and taste of rubberbands..... But you can doctor them up by adding some terriaki, soy or your seasoning of chioce and saute in veggies. I cut them up into more bite sized pieces too because they are kind of stringy and chewy. Be creative...
  • laurelboynton
    Options
    Rinse them well. Dry fry them to make them a bit crispy. I have found these two steps are key otherwise the texture is a little weird. Then I add my fave stir fry sauce & veggies & meat. I have to say I tried the "yam noodles" and they were decent done this way!

Ah yes I can imagine dry frying them makes the texture a little less horrid!

Yam noodles?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Why bother...they have zero nutritional value.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Try buckwheat or soba noodles instead. Great with asian stir fry vegies and siracha sauce and/or garlic chili paste. All in asian foods aisle.
  • laurelboynton
    Options
    Rinse them very thoroughly, "dry fry" them in a nonstick skillet to dry them off, then add to soup or some type of asian-style application, such as a stir-fry. I find that they go better with a salty, thin sauce like that than with a cheesy or tomatoey sauce.

Ah yes, I have just looked at the zero noodle website and they suggest putting them in Miso soup.. I also have Boullion, the vegetable stock drink. I may try them in that...

Thanks for the suggestion
  • laurelboynton
    Options
    They smell like fish, and have the texture and taste of rubberbands..... But you can doctor them up by adding some terriaki, soy or your seasoning of chioce and saute in veggies. I cut them up into more bite sized pieces too because they are kind of stringy and chewy. Be creative...

Ew fishy rubberbands... Definitely feel that the Asian path is the way to go with flavourings.. I will try chopping them too. Thanks.
  • laurelboynton
    Options
    Why bother...they have zero nutritional value.

well, according to the website...
    Zero Noodles are made up of water along with a very special type of soluble fibre called Konjac Glucomannan. It is this fibre that makes Zero Noodles so crucial in the fight against obesity and many common health problems. It is believed that Konjac Glucomannan has the highest water holding capacity of any soluble fibre, swelling up to 100 times its own water weight. This bulking out in the stomach means that once digested, Zero Noodles make you feel full and satisfied whilst also slowing down digestion and preventing sugar spikes. It is these sugar spikes in our blood that leave us craving more and also encourages sugar to be stored as fat in the body... predominantly around the waistline.

As well as helping us lose weight and helping to decrease appetite this means that Zero Noodles are also a great choice for people with type 2 Diabetes. Research has proven that the higher the viscosity of soluble fibre, the better the control of blood sugar levels in patients with Type 2 diabetes and it is thought that Konjac Glucomannan is the most viscous soluble fibre in nature… you do the maths!

It is also understood that Konjac Glucomannan helps aid weight loss by actually binding to fat in the intestines preventing some of its absorption and research has also shown that Konjac Glucomannan can help to significantly lower Cholesterol levels.

If that isn’t enough to convince you as to why we should all be adding Zero Noodles into our diet then let me give you a few more reasons… Due to the high soluble fibre content, Zero Noodles can help to improve those pesky symptoms of constipation that most of us struggle with at some point in out lives. Studies have also shown that this fibre can help reduce blood pressure whilst also giving anti ageing benefits.Zero Noodles are made up of water along with a very special type of soluble fibre called Konjac Glucomannan. It is this fibre that makes Zero Noodles so crucial in the fight against obesity and many common health problems. It is believed that Konjac Glucomannan has the highest water holding capacity of any soluble fibre, swelling up to 100 times its own water weight. This bulking out in the stomach means that once digested, Zero Noodles make you feel full and satisfied whilst also slowing down digestion and preventing sugar spikes. It is these sugar spikes in our blood that leave us craving more and also encourages sugar to be stored as fat in the body... predominantly around the waistline.

As well as helping us lose weight and helping to decrease appetite this means that Zero Noodles are also a great choice for people with type 2 Diabetes. Research has proven that the higher the viscosity of soluble fibre, the better the control of blood sugar levels in patients with Type 2 diabetes and it is thought that Konjac Glucomannan is the most viscous soluble fibre in nature… you do the maths!

It is also understood that Konjac Glucomannan helps aid weight loss by actually binding to fat in the intestines preventing some of its absorption and research has also shown that Konjac Glucomannan can help to significantly lower Cholesterol levels.

If that isn’t enough to convince you as to why we should all be adding Zero Noodles into our diet then let me give you a few more reasons… Due to the high soluble fibre content, Zero Noodles can help to improve those pesky symptoms of constipation that most of us struggle with at some point in out lives. Studies have also shown that this fibre can help reduce blood pressure whilst also giving anti ageing benefits.

But if they taste gross I don't really care.
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    They are the most repulsive thing I have ever eaten. And by eaten, I mean one forkful in my mouth, spat out into the garbage, and the rest of the pot to follow. I want to puke right now just Thinking about it. It's not even worth it.
  • Zakiya05
    Zakiya05 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    They are yucky pants! I tried them maybe a year or two ago, threw out a whole box of them, I couldn't get past the smell, and they have a weird texture. I never said, "yummy, I can't wait for my zero noodles when I get home". It was more like let me stuff this crap down my face. They do not take away the urge for reall pasta, in fact they increase the craving. Just leave them out and add more veggies to your meal. At least veggies have nutritional value and you are only adding max (well not including carrots those suckers have lots of calories in relation to let's say lettuce) 10 calories (that's like two cups of lettuce or something) to your diet. When you want pasta eat pasta (I have come to enjoy both wheat and brown rice pasta so has my husband, we don't know any better now)!