Looking for advice

Options
Hi there!
My name is Angie
My son (bigguybigrib) has been on here for about a week and had some great results so I decided to give it a go.
I have been overweight all my life and really want to make a change once and for good.
My son is almost 800 pounds and I am his caretaker, I love him more than anything but its time for us both to make changes
Ive never been on a diet that i remember
Tell me what has worked for you

Replies

• bigguybigrib
    Options
    Hi meeeeeeeeeewm *waves*:laugh:
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Um...
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP! :D
    You'll meet a great deal of supportive people here, which is awesome!

To answer your question, I'd say that worked for me was becoming aware of what I was eating. I realized along the way that'd oftenly eat above 3000 calories a day because I love the taste of food and I love snacking.

Once I started measuring and writing down every bite I take, I realized how much I was overeating and how damaging it was. MAJOR WAKE UP CALL.
  • mmouse90
    mmouse90 Posts: 83
    Options
    YAY!!! Read your sons post and glad to see you are joining too. I am sure it will help both of you to have additional support.
  • Courtney011691
    Options
    Welcome! It's great that you've decided to work towards being healthier! Below are some of the things I've done that have helped me.

- Try to stay within your calorie goals.
    - Cut out all fast food and soda. Try to drink at least 8 glasses of water.
    - Take a look at what you're eating. How many servings are you eating at one time? One spatula scoop of pasta is roughly a serving size.
    - Try to cut back on everything you're eating. For example, if you're eating 4 eggs for breakfast and 2 slices of toast, cut back to 2 eggs and one slice of toast.
    - Drink a glass or two of water before every meal. It will fill you up and you won't eat as much.
    - Workout everyday. Walking is a great workout and requires no equipment. Lifting also helps. If you don't have weights use cans of soup or something of similar nature. Even a little bit of exercise a day helps in the long run.
    - Weigh yourself once a week on the same day at the same time of day. Usually I pick Tuesday mornings before I get in the shower. I found that Monday mornings aren't the best for me because I usually eat poorly during the weekends.
    - Cut out sweets completely. Chocolate is my weakness so I stopped buying it. If I don't buy it then I can't eat it.
    - Eat more proteins, vegetables, and fruit. Try to stay away from grains. If you decided to eat grains choose whole wheat or whole grain foods.
    - Measure all your food before you eat it. This ensures you're eating the right amount of food for a serving size. I actually count out every Cheeze-It before eating any.
    - Don't eat directly from a container or bag. I find that if I only put one serving amount of chips in a bowl I eat less. If I eat from the bag I will end up eating the entire bag.

Finally, good luck!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    1. Patience
    2. Don't drink your calories.....stick to diet sodas if you have to drink soda.
    3. Make small changes...don't do anything drastic just starting out.
    4. Watch your sodium..stick to 1800 mg per day.
    5. Be consistent.
  • Annie83uk
    Annie83uk Posts: 128
    Options
    Smaller portions and low calorie snacks, try sticking to your calories and any kind of exercise to start with. One step at a time, you can do it :)
  • Shushbags
    Shushbags Posts: 1
    Options
    I went to my son's graduation a couple of weeks ago and the pictures say it all! Not to talk of not being able to find anything pretty to wear! So I thought, that's it, enough. Like Dolly Parton said "just get your head out of the slop bucket". You can do it, it's mind over matter. If your head is ready to it then then the rest of you will follow. Good luck. :smile:
  • astatton
    astatton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi. I've been on for a month today and lost 13 lbs. my advice is to keep goals small and reachable. don't beat yourself up if you mess up - its about changing something you've been doing a long time. the weight went on over a long period (months, years) and it won't come off in a day. just be patient with yourself and recognize your strengths. be patient with your son and do something positive every day. good luck! I'm rooting for you!
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I looked at "bigguybigrib" diary again just now, and I'm confused. How would you define "great results"? If his diary is accurate, he is eating tens of thousands calories a day.
  • lizmartinez31392410
    Options
    Hi there peeps, I'm new to the lifestyle of healthy living, but am really glad I decided to do it. I'm confused about calorie counting, I am on a 1200 calorie diet, and am exercising 30 minutes a day, burning 250 calories, my calorie counter is showing that I have to eat an extra 250 calories to keep at 1200 calories. How am i loosing weight by doing this? could someone explain please?
  • loout
    loout Posts: 13
    Options
    Hello, I am glad that you and your son are working to become more healthier! A good start to loosing weight is walking at least 30 minutes a day to start (if possible). Eat 5 small meals throughout the day (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner). Make the meals between 300-350 calories each. Eat foods like skinless chicken breast, tuna, salmon, lean meats, egg whites, whole wheat breads and wheat pasta, lots of fresh veggies, drink alot of water and try to stay away from any soda and sweets. Good luck!!
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to MFP, both of you! :)

My recommendations are to:
    1) Stay consistent with logging what you eat and stay in your calorie goal.
    2) Get some type of exercise in as much as you can.
    3) Give yourself goals to reach.
    4) Keep yourself (and your son) motivated and determined.

I think you'll do great! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. We could motivate each other! :)
  • loout
    loout Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi there peeps, I'm new to the lifestyle of healthy living, but am really glad I decided to do it. I'm confused about calorie counting, I am on a 1200 calorie diet, and am exercising 30 minutes a day, burning 250 calories, my calorie counter is showing that I have to eat an extra 250 calories to keep at 1200 calories. How am i loosing weight by doing this? could someone explain please?

The calorie counter allows you to consume the amount of calories you burn and you will still be within your 1200 calorie diet. You don't have to eat the extra amount of calories you burn off, just make sure you are eating enough to fuel your body for your workout! :)
  • salinger1976
    salinger1976 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am also confused for the same reason, and also how it is humanely possible to have the time and money to eat that much. I'm not trying to be mean, just wondering if it's a troll.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am also confused for the same reason, and also how it is humanely possible to have the time and money to eat that much. I'm not trying to be mean, just wondering if it's a troll.

I have to agree. According to his diary your son "bigguybigrib" ate 54,000 calories already without dinner. I can't see anyone being able to eat that much food in a day. Tell him not to eat the marijuana cookies anymore (6 for a snack). That might help his appetite.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    GOOD GOD when will this troll give up?!
  • muhlittlepwny
    muhlittlepwny Posts: 9 Member
    Options

There is puppy chow on that list. o_O
  • muhlittlepwny
    muhlittlepwny Posts: 9 Member
    Options

There is puppy chow on that list. o_O
    Ahh, nevermind I see that is some sort of sweets recipe. Ignore me, lol.