Walking around the office barefoot

Options

Replies

• pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    It's gross. It's unprofessional.

Since I teach and usually stand up all day, I will sometimes switch to comfy sandals just inside my classroom. But your coworkers are waaay over the top. I bet some of them smell delightful, too.

Blech.
  • AEMW8
    AEMW8 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It's fine for us monitoring alarms to go barefoot if we want, and I do it all the time. But I'm the only one there on the overnight shift on the weekends, so it's not too big a deal. If I work a day shift then I'll take them off at the desk, but I'll put them on when I have to hand my boss a note or deal with a customer that's come into the office. One of the main reasons why I wear sandals in the summer. Easy on and off.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    They're feet... 99.99% of humans are born with two of them.

Get over it.

^^This.

I work in a room alone and see clients one at a time so I wear a pair of Crocs type shoes so I can slip them on and off between clients. Never know when I might feel like throwing a handstand up the wall or busting out some push-ups - between clients that is!
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    Eh, it doesn't bother me, unless the person has bad foot odor.

A friend of mine at work does this though, and she will sit cross-legged in her seat, or slouch in her seat while on her phone....then complains that no one takes her seriously. Myself and a few others have told her that if she wants to be taken seriously and advance in her career, then she needs to be more professional, not a college student.

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    - so, what she wears (or not) is a clear indicator of what she has inside herself to advance in her career? :noway:

it shouldn't matter.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    This is a workers comp liability. Hope the company doesn't mind their insurance premiums going up
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    They're feet... 99.99% of humans are born with two of them.

Get over it.

Doesn't mean I have to like them.

I don't even like looking/touching my OWN feet. *shudders*
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    This is a workers comp liability. Hope the company doesn't mind their insurance premiums going up

What's the difference between walking around in socks or what have you to go to the printer or talk to someone at their desk and walking around in open toed shoes?
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I've done it at my desk but no one comes in my office. If I leave my office I put them back on
  • Rage_Phish
    Options
    - so, what she wears (or not) is a clear indicator of what she has inside herself to advance in her career? :noway:

it shouldn't matter.

And yes, outward appearance matters and what image you project matters. Right or wrong that's how it is.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Unprofessional and against policy where I work (nurse).
    We can't even wear open toe shoes or Crocs for safety reasons.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    what does it matter? If you are not doing it, who cares? Do you share shoes with them? if not...who cares. Unless you are the worker's comp representative for your company. You know that could be used for a case against it. Employees can slip and find the company negligent.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

it shouldn't matter.

Unfortunately in Corporate America it is. If someone is looking to climb the ladder then they had better be dressing and playing the part. If they're not then they won't be considered "corporate" material. It's all about politics.
  • Lauraplane
    Lauraplane Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That is gross! I sometimes kick my shoes off while in my office, I have my own office. But if I leave the office my shoes go back on, or at least my little slippers I keep under my desk, but usually the shoes. It is so gross to use a puclic restroom with no shoes! Ewww!
  • Rage_Phish
    Options

What's the difference between walking around in socks or what have you to go to the printer or talk to someone at their desk and walking around in open toed shoes?

stepping on something sharp
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I go to a kickboxing gym where most people don't wear shoes in class, would that make you equally uncomfortable?
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Do a little research. It's probably a safety violation. First thing you know, someone drops something on, or kicks a stationary object with, a bare foot. Then there's a lawsuit where there shouldn't have been a violation in the first place. Find your "safety person" and get the ball rolling.
  • lorig_2000
    lorig_2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Not only is it unprofessional and unsafe, it is also unhygenic. Think communicable things - athletes foot and plantars warts. I caught plantars warts when I was in the military living in barracks. They hurt like H*** and are a son-of-a-gun to get rid of!!!
  • amandajones1978
    Options

it shouldn't matter.

It does matter. If I showed up to work with bed-head and my clubbing outfit, would I be considered corporate material? No. Unfortunately, outward appearance is very important in the corporate world. Walking around in my socks or barefeet is the same thing.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    That sounds gnarly to me. I never thought of that being acceptable in an office space.....

Maybe to take off under the desk but otherwise, weird and unprofessional. (USA)

I get thrown off by people wearing jeans to work when they are in a business environment, makes me confused! (I wear jeans but I'm working outside normal business hours)