PMS hunger!

Options
Ok, I get the chocolate cravings...that's normal. I get the bloating and mood swings. But a day or two before I start my period I am famished!! It doesn't matter how much I eat I am just STARVING and unsatiable. Today I have 1300 calories for lunch and 3 hours later I'm hungry again! Literally hungry...stomach growling and in hunt for more food.

Does anyone else get this? Any advice so I'm not hitting 3000 calories every month for a couple days! :noway: :angry: :ohwell:

Replies

• lifechanger30
    lifechanger30 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I easily know when I am about to start, HUGE cravings for salty foods. How I deal, I allow myself one small fries then I just
    fill up on water, munch on almonds, or stuff my face with veggies while telling myself "no", works for me! :drinker:
  • doriharvey
    doriharvey Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I get that way. I am going to paste a paragraph of a blog entry I just made:

"I have seen a eating program that encourages people to eat when you feel hungry, take a small bite of the best part of the steak if you want steak, and don't worry about calories. When I do these things I constantly have food as a focus and let my body and the way it feels have to much say. For example, my body feels constantly hungry for four - five days every three weeks, even when I eat I still feel that I am ravenous. I need to mentally be able to realize that this is "that time of month" and I am not hungry, it is just the yucky way I feel. I have found foods (soy proteins) that make this time manageable and minimize the out of control feeling. On the opposite extreme when eating this way I also find I do tend to under eat as I keep checking to see if I really feel hungry, then I get to the point of dizzy spells, low blood pressure, not enough energy to accomplish the physical demands I place on my body, and there are times I can need nourishment but cover it up with water. "
  • Olivia1977
    Olivia1977 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    WATER, WATER, AND MORE WATER. For sweet cravings try oatmeal with cinnamon, berries and sugar or fruit. Also for salty cravings dill pickles are so good!!
  • kelleygaustad
    kelleygaustad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    UGH!!!! feel so like you! I try to eat protein , protein and more protein! I bought the sugar free coffee syrup in chocolate flavor and put it in my coffee and tea! Dairy queen has fat free 50 cal fudge bars tat are to die for ! Sugar free hersheys syrup is my next trick!!! PMS>>>UGH!!
  • eautrey124
    eautrey124 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great article regarding hormone cycles with the female body and how to change your diet to account for it. Hormones have so much to do with diet and weight loss!

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/15-facts-about-weight-loss-and-the-menstrual-cyle/
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Yup I am totally starving before my period. I can eat and eat and never feel full. During that time I up my protein and drink a lot more water. Works for me.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I get hungrier to. I find that I exercise enough to calm down the raging b*tch that I turn into that I easily stay within my calories.
  • dragonfly123321
    dragonfly123321 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way but I try to still track my foods an try to balance I'll have a low calorie lunch ( chicken or turkey ~ not deli real chicken/turkey~ with just veggies, ) so I can have something yummy later to satisfy my cravings I also drink a ton of water. Cut out diet coke and all "fake sugar (although I do give in to my diet coke here and there if i'm eating out )
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I just try to throw water at it. Usually that stops the growling. It helps with the bloating too.
  • VixenArgentum
    VixenArgentum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    WATER, WATER, AND MORE WATER. For sweet cravings try oatmeal with cinnamon, berries and sugar or fruit. Also for salty cravings dill pickles are so good!!

This.

And chow down on leafy greens as part of your meals--the bulk of it will help keep you fuller.

At least for me, making sure that my diet is higher in protein keeps the sabretooth tiger in the cage.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. Not as bad as I used to be but sometimes I roam around a kitchen or a store chasing carbs like I'm trying out for a walker on The Walking Dead.
  • vida130
    vida130 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I so know your dilemma with the pms hunger! I found that if I eat a high protein breakfast at least 30 grams and eat lots of veggies with my meals I can get through the day without that starving feeling. Also before you eat drink 8 ounces of water and another 8 ounces after the meal. Buy 1 regular size candy bar and enjoy it but don't bring home any extras lol... Good luck.
  • Hollie6790
    Hollie6790 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I totally understand, when I have my period I'm ready to eat everything I have in the house. I like to drink herbal teas, the flavor usually satisfies the need to eat. I also make sure to increase my water intake to try to avoid bloating, and that usually helps me feel fuller if I drink enough water. Also, protein is key.
  • khalikhoopri
    khalikhoopri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! :) I figured milk really helps to keep me full and (ironically) workouts make me pain free and less hungry! Hope it helps :)
  • hickorycutie
    hickorycutie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    yeppers i stay hungry the whole time ive got my period... my body was out of whack.. and i had my period for 20 days.. talk bout eating myself out of house and home... i usually gain 5 lbs with my period too.... UGH!!!!!! i tried drinking more water during that time but im not much of a water drinker
  • gwen485
    gwen485 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem last week. I was full and still felt hungry. Wanted nothing but salty foods.. I drank 3 glasses of warm water and my cravings instantly went away.. Try it and see how it works!