Looking for tattoo ideas

Options
impudentputz
impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
Sadly, I am not a very deep person (as far as I know). So thinking of something meaningful has proven a bit harder than I thought it would. I have a few ideas running through my head, but the more I think about them, the more I think "No, I will hate that later on in life". So I was wondering... for those of you with tattoos... What did you get as your first and why?

Replies

• vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Could never commit to a single design idea, and never got a tattoo. I am now very thankful, because all of my friends with tattoos regret getting them. I know that right now I would have regretted it too.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Haven't got one, wont get one, but..the text

"Think before you ink"
  • emmoon
    emmoon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You don't need an exact design, a great tattooist can help you out.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Could never commit to a single design idea, and never got a tattoo. I am now very thankful, because all of my friends with tattoos regret getting them. I know that right now I would have regretted it too.

this. While my tattoo is still very pretty, what I thought was super deep and poignant when I got it now seems a little silly and trite, lately. I must be getting old. :/
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    How timely lol. I don't have any, and never will, but by 20 year old son has just got one. He's always wanted one, and planned ans saved. He's getting the full sleeve on his left arm. He wanted to incorporate either my maiden name (as that is what I now go by) and our family somehow. He'd initially planned a scorpion as the main design as that is his star sign. After discussions with a tattoo artist (he visited a few), he decided on a snake running the full length of his arm (this is also my year of birth, so he has me covered there lol), with some beautifully intricate roses in there - and honestly I can't remember the other elements that they are doing. He has done one sitting of 5 hours and has half the snake and some background and one full rose. It looks.. AMAZING!! He can't wait to go back next week and get the forearm done.
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My first tat was a shark. Now I have 13 that are all tropical. I lived on an island in the South Pacific back in the early 70's, so every tat has a special meaning to me. Most are from my diving experiences. :)
  • skmo8
    skmo8 Posts: 7
    Options
    A devil woman.
    Because I wanted a devil and I like pinups. The rest have deep sentimental meanings.
    If you can't decide on something meaningful, get one that isn't. Get R2D2 or something you've liked for ages. Not every tattoo has to be steeped in meaning. Folks who regret their tattoos regret them because they are too concerned with what others think.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Little man in the moon/crescent moon with a star tat on my left um.... chesticle... yeah that's it, chesticle. Why? Because I always liked it, and can explain it to my kids and can explain it to my grand kids if the topic ever came up.

I also have a fairy on my back (it's a tramp stamp, I guess) an EMT star of life on my right leg, the Chinese characters of Pleasure and Promise on my right inside wrist, and three tiny dragon flys on my neck beneath my right ear.

They all have some type of meaning to me, and like I said, I can explain them all. The Chinese characters are a matching tatt to my husband who has them on his left arm. We got them on our 19th anniversary promising we'd make each other happy for the rest of our lives.

My next will be the quote "Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will move mountains" - Napoleon. But I am going to have it done in Hebrew because it's just so beautiful when written in that language.

Good luck in finding what you want. I've always waited a good year before getting a tattoo. I've also told my girls to do the same, and reminded them that to make sure what they get can be explained to their grandchildren.

ETA: I've always said never ever get the name of whatever sig other to you tattooed on you unless they're gone (as in not of this world). Best way to regret a tattoo right there.
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My first was in memory of my daughter Jasmine. I went into premature labor at 6 months and lived in a very rural area, There was nothing they could do. My next I won't talk about except to say that it will be getting covered soon! I love cats, all of them, big and little so that is what my next one will be. I don't have a lot of ink but I love the idea of being able to express myself through body art. I plan on getting more but always in places that can be covered so I only show them when I want to.
    Some popular ways to choose your first: pick a meaningful event or person in your life and memorialize that, or pick something you love. Cat's, Scifi shows or characters, anime, cars, hunting etc.... You want it to be something special to you and not something you will grow tired of :) Hope this helps!
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    go with your passion ,thats how I picked mine,I love fishing and am drawn to the ocean,so all mine are to do with this and my kids names,,make sure you want it for life,,,
  • culpjm90
    culpjm90 Posts: 58
    Options
    my first one was the word "unwritten" on my wrist. To me it is kind of like the song that today is where your book begins and the rest is still unwritten so you can choose to write your own book the way you want it to be.

my 2nd was an infinity symbol with the word family in it

my 3rd was for me and my old best friend we got matching symbols but had a falling out so know I have to get that one covered up so ya sometimes when you get one it can back fire luckily for me the symbol I got can easily be covered up with something else

the last I got was a lesbian symbol so im not to worried about that one
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I plan on getting one with the quote "Not all those who wander are lost" as I'm a bit of a nomad, and love Tolkein/LotR. I'm thinking of incorporating the white tree of Gondor in there, too, to symbolize strength. We shall see. I want to get to my goal weight first.
  • NewMsT
    NewMsT Posts: 33
    Options
    I am a super science geek (it does help that I am a middle/high school science teacher). I got my first one when I turned 30 and it's the Autobots logo from Transformers. I was born in the 80's so the love was already there. Also, I love the idea that there's more to me than meets the eye! My second one, I just got in March, is a T-rex skull. I always wanted to visit Chicago and see Tyrannosaurus Sue, so last summer I did. Logically, when I was ready to get another tattoo, she's what I went with.
    You'll find something that feels right. Once you do, go for it :)
  • impudentputz
    Options
    a lot of great feed back thus far, one of the ideas I was kicking around was well, technically 3 tattoos.

Arm (front of back of bicep)- Triforce of Power
    Chest (left pec) - Triforce of Courage
    I just don't know where I would get the triforce of wisdom tattooed :(

for those of you who don't know, the triforce is from the "Zelda" video games.

but that's just one idea. I am taking a lot in from what you guys have said, so please keep the comments coming :)
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    If you can't think of one you love don't do it. It is on you for life. Look at designs, think of things throughout your life that have meant something to you. Think about it long and hard.

ETA: My first tattoo was a memorial to my husband that passed
  • bloodysore
    bloodysore Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    a lot of great feed back thus far, one of the ideas I was kicking around was well, technically 3 tattoos.

for those of you who don't know, the triforce is from the "Zelda" video games.

but that's just one idea. I am taking a lot in from what you guys have said, so please keep the comments coming :)
    This seems like an awesome idea! Maybe you could get the triforce of wisdom on your neck/upper back? It seems like you already have a good idea, just aren't sure about placement, which is when you should start shopping for a tattoo artist. Go talk to people or talk to friends that have ink and I'm sure you can find someone good in your area, or somewhat close to you

I have three. The eye of Ra and the eye of Horus on each of my shoulders. I love the idea behind these, but they were done horribly by a ****ty *kitten* artist that I didn't research, and was cheap. You really do get what you pay for.
    I also have a bee on my right side of my right calf. It has no meaning other than I love bees and that was the idea I had that the tattoo guy was the most interested in. It was much more expensive than my other two combined, but it looks amazing, hurt significantly less, and was a great experience.
    I also believe that the more you have the more distracted you are by the bad ones. ;) There's also coverups!
    I'll second the not getting names of people you're with. But I also think that any kind of matching tattoo is the kiss of death. I've never known ANYONE that had matching tattoos with a lover/wife/husband/whatever that had it end well.
  • Benzo500
    Benzo500 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Japanese!?!?

My first two were girl's names... FAIL! Those are are now cover-ups. I really developed an interest in Japanese tattoos and their meaning so I have a full "samurai chest plate" that wraps around my upper arm/shoulders and carries over to my entire back. There is alot of meaning in my ink from courage, prosperity, strength and perseverance. With as big as i went, I was a bit nervous at first but not one day has gone by where i regret it.

Keep Calm, Get Inked!!!
  • impudentputz
    Options

This seems like an awesome idea! Maybe you could get the triforce of wisdom on your neck/upper back? It seems like you already have a good idea, just aren't sure about placement, which is when you should start shopping for a tattoo artist. Go talk to people or talk to friends that have ink and I'm sure you can find someone good in your area, or somewhat close to you

I don't know that I'd like the way it would look on my neck, granted... id never see it...but that's not the point now is it :).
    Getting one on my upper back might be doable. just have to increase the size to make it look symmetrical.

Its funny, I asked about getting my first tattoo... yet my plan is turning into 3 tattoos... odd.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have the words "Keep Moving Forward" in cursive on my right foot. It's from a Walt Disney Quote. It's simple, just plain handwritten font text in a cure by my toes, but I love it every day. I had wanted it since I was 16 and got it when I was 21, two years later and I have never regretted the choice.