Just an observation....

Options
I've taken Body Pump classes, and classes similar to them. I have taken Boot camps and other weight lifting classes...I have never had a buff instructor. They are all just average. It makes me feel discouraged. With all the classes they teach--and workout along with the classes, why don't these ladies look...how I want to look?? No definition in arms and legs....I see lots of buff ladies on Ripped Goddess, but they don't go into what exactly they do to get so ripped. I am discouraged from taking anymore Body Pump, etc. classes because, if the instructor isn't looking buff by now, then there is a pretty good chance that I won't and that I am just wasting my time:/ Just had to put it out there. Anyone else observe this? I had 2 really buff Zumba instructors--one said she got that way from years of Spinning class. Makes me even more confused:/

Replies

• berry83sweet
    berry83sweet Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would love to know the answer to this! I am going to keep riding my exercise bike but spin classes are in my near future.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've taken Body Pump classes, and classes similar to them. I have taken Boot camps and other weight lifting classes...I have never had a buff instructor. They are all just average. It makes me feel discouraged. With all the classes they teach--and workout along with the classes, why don't these ladies look...how I want to look?? No definition in arms and legs....I see lots of buff ladies on Ripped Goddess, but they don't go into what exactly they do to get so ripped. I am discouraged from taking anymore Body Pump, etc. classes because, if the instructor isn't looking buff by now, then there is a pretty good chance that I won't and that I am just wasting my time:/ Just had to put it out there. Anyone else observe this? I had 2 really buff Zumba instructors--one said she got that way from years of Spinning class. Makes me even more confused:/

I'd just worry the most about yourself. Do you feel your muscles working when you are doing your body pump classes? I'm not sure, but I think body pump classes use weights. Are you using weights that are appropriate for your strength level? Are you getting the right nutrition to build muscle?
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    what I have noticed... the old saying can be more true than we like to admit... you cant judge a book by its cover! I know we find comfort in doing so.. but often its not true... some of the sweating..working getting after it ladies are a a little on the big girl side.... some of the cant do a mile.. are on the small girl side (havent eat enough to walk on tredmill for a mile without getting light headed!)
    My jogging buddy lst night ask me what I thought about this same type of thing your asking... it seems to be that yes basic calorie in and out will help us loose weight or maintain.... exercise is good and keeps us in OUR best shape.. but each person really is a little diffrent... She is a slender little thing.. I got my a big ol butt and some hips.. I have lot of estrogen.. LOL... We are equally in shape!
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi, Eblakes:)I was so worried my question would come off rude; not very pleasant, but I couldn't think of another way to express my thoughts on it. I stopped Body Pump because it was becoming monotonous. It was with barbells and was okay, but not impressive to me. I increased the weight and still, no big deal; just hype. I use dumb bells now and feel better and see some definition--from the looks of things, only surgery will make it look like I really want it to look--loose skin from having been at the obese end of the spectrum. I feel better with dumb bells and the program I am doing now, but could not help but wonder why these certified instructors don't look like these muscular ladies. I watch my diet, too; I feel like I am doing the right things and my Dr is no longer concerned. I am healthy on the inside, just want to work on the aesthetics now:)
  • gastlysmom
    gastlysmom Posts: 28
    Options

my zumba teacher also teaches sweat n sculpt ( light weights) shes pretty ripped.. im 52 and im ready to look like her !!
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    what I have noticed... the old saying can be more true than we like to admit... you cant judge a book by its cover! I know we find comfort in doing so.. but often its not true... some of the sweating..working getting after it ladies are a a little on the big girl side.... some of the cant do a mile.. are on the small girl side (havent eat enough to walk on tredmill for a mile without getting light headed!)
    My jogging buddy lst night ask me what I thought about this same type of thing your asking... it seems to be that yes basic calorie in and out will help us loose weight or maintain.... exercise is good and keeps us in OUR best shape.. but each person really is a little diffrent... She is a slender little thing.. I got my a big ol butt and some hips.. I have lot of estrogen.. LOL... We are equally in shape!

Would love to know the secret of those ladies on the muscle-y poster and such!!!:) I even calculate how much protein I need at each meal, and make sure the protein is good and healthy. Once a week I allow myself pizza, and I do fit in a sweet snack. I work out hard and am dedicated. I had to dial it back because I was working out for over 2 hours and I felt like a hamster on a wheel. I also have hips and thighs I can't get rid of--and on a shorter frame:( I want to get rid of all the jiggle and have that flawless definition I see on different sites. Maybe I have fluctuated too much over the years; maybe it is because I am 42 with 2 kids; could be that I am hypothyroid and fighting a losing battle. I feel strong and great; I just want to look better. I just assumed the instructors who are certified and go through all the training, and then teach and work out at each class should be that way by now.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If you want to be more muscular, you're going to have to start doing more weight training, and less cardio work.

I've never been to a bodypump class, but I've seen them in the studio of the gym I train at. Whilst they are using weights, it seems to be far more cardio based than training for muscles or strength. If you enjoy the cardio work, don't give it up, but to start add in maybe 2-3 lifting sessions a week, focusing on full body movements and progressively increasing the weight.

If you want specific plan advice, ask away, but the popular ones around here seem to be Starting Strength, Stronglifts, NROLFW etc.. and should be fine to get you going.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When I used to do rugby coaching the best coach I ever came across was a rubbish rugby player - too slow, too small, poor fitness and no great balls skills....
    But his job wasn't to be a player - it was to be a coach.

The best and most knowledable PT in my gym looks the most average, he's fit but wouldn't win the "buff body on the beach" award.

The results you get are a mixture of lifestyle, diet, exercise and genetics so there are many "secrets" beyond which class you choose.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above too, although in a class setting I think it's far less likely, whereas in a sports\performance setting it's far more common to have coaches who are experts in the subject, but may not (or no longer) be able to apply it themselves.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    When I was a member of Slimming World, our instructor was bigger than everybody, yet she was teaching us about losing weight. Go figure :laugh:
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I noticed this in spin class.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    When I was a member of Slimming World, our instructor was bigger than everybody, yet she was teaching us about losing weight. Go figure :laugh:

now that is just wrong!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    A good coach or trainer will help keep you going when you cant feel you can go further.

Someone can be dull as dishwasher and fit, but you could be bored senseless for that 45-60mins, where as i'd rather have someone that keeps the craic going, so you dont notice how hard you are going and make it through at the end.

You can be fat and fit, just like you can be skinny and unfit.
  • laurentoni28
    laurentoni28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This article add some perspective about those posters/magazine spreads of women's and men's toned bodies we admire;

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-dixon/weight-loss-secrets_b_3643898.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl5|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D348593

I have to continually remind myself when I look at my tiny little bicep that compared to 6 months ago it's a monster. I've worked hard and gotten results and know if I keep going and mixing my workouts up things will keep imrpoving.
  • Montarosa456
    Montarosa456 Posts: 133
    Options
    When I used to do rugby coaching the best coach I ever came across was a rubbish rugby player - too slow, too small, poor fitness and no great balls skills....
    But his job wasn't to be a player - it was to be a coach.

The best and most knowledable PT in my gym looks the most average, he's fit but wouldn't win the "buff body on the beach" award.

The results you get are a mixture of lifestyle, diet, exercise and genetics so there are many "secrets" beyond which class you choose.

I agree with this...
    Plus some people despite the fact they love teaching the exercise aren't actually interested in creating the lean/muscular look for themselves...
    Don't worry about what your teacher looks like, your on the right track taking the classes and use this to become the best YOU that you can become :) & hey...you may even look more buff than your teacher some day...
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    As someone in the business I know that this is a common thing. Here's the problem and why you see so many instructors that are overweight/not as fit looking as you would think:

In a commercial gym, if you are an instructor that's how you make your money, unless you become the jack of all trades and work three or four different positions (I've done this, it's time consuming and it leads to burn out faster than you can even believe). Typically the instructor will be paid per class and it's usually to the tune of 20-30 dollars per class (yoga and other specialty classes can pay more) which sounds awesome, but if you're only teaching three classes a week that's only 60-90 dollars a week, which will NOT pay the bills if you're relying on this job for all your income. So, in order to make more money you pick up more classes.... I used to teach two or three back to back classes, or two or three classes within a day (5:30am, 9:00am, and a 5:30pm for example). The problem with this is 1) you're doing the same sort of exercise i.e. Zumba, BodyPump etc. over and over again which makes the exercise less effective calorie burners the more you do them (variety is the spice of life after all). 2) this can lead to overtraining- you become fatigued, start to lose muscle mass, try to keep up with the demands by eating more or drinking caffenated beverages.

The other problem that I've seen in many many instructors is that their class is the only thing that they do for exercise. Granted the workouts are good, but if you do the same thing every week day in and day out you'll plateau. Many times when we teach three classes in a day we're flippin tired and the thought of squeezing yet ANOTHER workout into the day is laughable. Eventually extra workouts get put to the side and you'll start to notice weight gain.

I've always been very aware of these problems and have always made sure to get my own workouts in on my own time so I can continue to see results and avoid weight gain. Although I enjoy many different kinds of exercise and have a hard time balancing things and fitting in everything that I'd like to do... but that's a whole different topic.

The last part of the puzzle is whether your group exercise director cares about your body and your health, or if it's more important to fill the spot with the class. My personal experience was the latter at a gym that I used to work at. There was a lot of pressure to cover classes when they needed a sub. My favorite was when I was already teaching two back to back classes (BodyPump and Zumba... both high impact, high energy classes) and the manager said to me, "well, you're already going to be here, couldn't you just teach the Butts and guts class too?" Nevermind the fact that I was already teaching two classes, had been in school all day and had subbed a class that morning at 5:15am.

So hopefully this sheds some light on your question.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the mind and the body don't always match, and sometimes one pulls ahead of the other.

i've seen a lot of over weight trainers and very buff trainers. it happens. one is not necessarily better than the other.

a female friend of mine had a very buff male trainer who had her working on machines and doing ab exercises. i told her to tell him to teach her barbell lifts like squats and dead lifts. she told me that his response was "do you want to become a body builder?"
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Most of my yoga instructors are exquisite specimens. The other classes I take, much less so. There are a few exceptions. Of course I've seen doctors that smoke and nurses who are overweight so there's that. The main issue is can they teach well.

Also, keep in mind exercise is the key to fitness, nutrition is the key to weight loss. No telling what folks are doing the other 23 hours that they're not teaching class.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a bootcamp class with two instructors. One has a nice but pretty average body but the other one is super buff. His biceps are like the size of my thigh. So they are out there.