I have no idea what to do at the gym

Options
95AM97
95AM97 Posts: 16 Member
I'm somewhat new to the gym and need some advice. I go to the gym 3-4 time a week to use the treadmill only. Doing anything else intimidates me but I'm ready to take that next step. I mainly want to workout my butt and legs for now. What's a good program/machine to start with? Today I used the elliptical and moved on to the stair machine thingy. I felt they gave me an ok workout but I didn't break a sweat as much as I would have on the treadmill.

What's your gym routine?

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    I just started weight training about two months ago and it's the best decision I ever made. I am following the NROL4W (New Rules of Lifting for Women) program and I love it. My glutes and hamstrings are killing me right now and I couldn't be happier. And my boyfriend is completely head over heels about the changes in my body (after only two months!). :bigsmile:

I usually lift three days a week, M/W/F, if my schedule allows, and I do HIIT on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I just started the HIIT, so I'm still getting the hang of it, but I generally do a treadmill routine with a 2 minute warm-up at 3.5 mph, then sprint for 1 minute, walk at 4.0 for 2, repeat until I've done about 20-30 minutes, depending on my energy level and/or schedule.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth investing in a couple sessions with a personal trainer. Yes, it might be expensive, but they'll show you how all the machines work and how to use them properly, and what to do to reach your goals.

I get a gym membership included in my tuition in September, which will be my first time in a real gym since I was like 15. I plan on getting a personal trainer for a couple sessions so I know what I'm doing!
  • ShannonMK9
    ShannonMK9 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    squats and lunges - you can grab some weights to make it more challenging. There are also some great leg machines - a press were you push the weights away from you using your feet, one for curls and extensions, one to work the inner and outer thigh muscles, and sometimes there is even a machine to work calf muscles if you are lucky - ask one of the people who work at the gym you go to for information on the machines.
  • courtneyemilyy
    Options
    squats and lunges - you can grab some weights to make it more challenging. There are also some great leg machines - a press were you push the weights away from you using your feet, one for curls and extensions, one to work the inner and outer thigh muscles, and sometimes there is even a machine to work calf muscles if you are lucky - ask one of the people who work at the gym you go to for information on the machines.

I agree with this! Booty/leg workouts are my personal favourites, and I recommend going on youtube and looking up those exercises! Also, if you wanna work up a sweat and get some cardio mixed into your booty exercises, I would highly recommend looking up plyometrics excercises!! It works up a sweat and gives you lean legs and a killer booty!! Make sure you stay hydrated while doing these excercises, you don't want more muscle soreness that what is expected haha
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I just started weight training about two months ago and it's the best decision I ever made. I am following the NROL4W (New Rules of Lifting for Women) program and I love it. My glutes and hamstrings are killing me right now and I couldn't be happier. And my boyfriend is completely head over heels about the changes in my body (after only two months!). :bigsmile:

I usually lift three days a week, M/W/F, if my schedule allows, and I do HIIT on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I just started the HIIT, so I'm still getting the hang of it, but I generally do a treadmill routine with a 2 minute warm-up at 3.5 mph, then sprint for 1 minute, walk at 4.0 for 2, repeat until I've done about 20-30 minutes, depending on my energy level and/or schedule.

hey this is really good advice :happy:
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    trainer. best thing I ever did. 3 years of weight training now and stronger and healthier than ever at 54!