Best Fruits To Eat

Options
2»

Replies

• RoninLife
    RoninLife Posts: 64
    Options
    Bing Cherries, Mangoes, White peaches, nectarines and fresh figs. I always go over my sugar budget because I eat a lot of fruits. I don't really care, lol

Yeah, the whole sugar thing always gets me, too. I assume eating sugar from fruit is somehow better than eating the sugar you get in processed foods, or white sugar, etc? I've seen multiple people say you could eat as much fruit as you like, as the sugar in it won't cause you any negative impact. Not sure if that's right!

Processed sugar spikes the blood glucose levels faster which causes the "sugar high/low" hunger swings, etc plus it has no nutritional value whereas sugar from raw fruits, the body breaks down slowly and fruits are chuck full of vitamins, minerals, cancer fighting agents and fiber.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Durian? Isn't that the one that smells like sewage but tastes of custard? I'd try it for a laugh! I eat fruit everyday and never worry about the sugar. Berries are good due to the antioxidents. Can't get them very often here or my other fave, rhubarb which as not a fruit really I'd think that was very low in cals. It's high in vit C too and great with oats or yog at breakfast.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Bing Cherries, Mangoes, White peaches, nectarines and fresh figs. I always go over my sugar budget because I eat a lot of fruits. I don't really care, lol

Yeah, the whole sugar thing always gets me, too. I assume eating sugar from fruit is somehow better than eating the sugar you get in processed foods, or white sugar, etc? I've seen multiple people say you could eat as much fruit as you like, as the sugar in it won't cause you any negative impact. Not sure if that's right!

Processed sugar spikes the blood glucose levels faster which causes the "sugar high/low" hunger swings, etc plus it has no nutritional value whereas sugar from raw fruits, the body breaks down slowly and fruits are chuck full of vitamins, minerals, cancer fighting agents and fiber.

Yeah, that's what I thought. It seems some people these days think fruit is bad for you, what's the world coming to?!
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    Durian? Isn't that the one that smells like sewage but tastes of custard? I'd try it for a laugh! I eat fruit everyday and never worry about the sugar. Berries are good due to the antioxidents. Can't get them very often here or my other fave, rhubarb which as not a fruit really I'd think that was very low in cals. It's high in vit C too and great with oats or yog at breakfast.

Yeah, it sounds like the suggestion to eat Durian fruit was a joke, given the reactions from other people! Lol.

Rhubarb, I love that! As kids, my dad used to grow it in the back garden, we would have rhubarb crumble with custard every Sunday after the Sunday dinner!
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options

It's not right. As a diabetic, I can't eat bananas as my blood sugar spikes really badly from them. From a blood sugar point of view berries are the best fruits but, if you don't have a problem with high blood sugars then eat everything in moderation.

Nothing is "bad" - so long as you don't overdo it. I try to limit my carbs due to diabetes but I don't go crazy over it. If someone brings cake into work, I'll have a small (very small) piece and then do without something else to make it fit within my calories/macros.

One way of comparing fruit would be to find a blank meal in your food diary and add in all the fruit you want to compare. You can then see them all and see which ones have more/less carbs/sugar/fibre/etc. Make a note of your findings and then delete all the fruit you've added in.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you can go to the local Chinese/malaysian supermarket and get Durian fruit I would eat that, it has a lovely taste, not too sweet, not too sour and your parents/so/dog would love it too.

Devious.

Indeed.... take nose plugs....
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Whatever is in season, and whatever you may have frozen from the previous season! I picked blueberries/strawberries from a local farm in June, and froze them....we eat them in smoothies a lot.
    I have persimmons (the large variety) which we sliced, dehydrated and froze. We eat those as snacks....awesome fiber and vitamins.
    Peaches are now in abundance. Oh yeah, and cherries!
    Feel free to eat the fruit available to you, it's ALL good.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Peaches. :wink:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

From personal experience I find that white sugar really messes with my blood sugar, throws off my appetite. However, unrefined sugar and fruits do not make me feel this way.
  • natalieblakeley
    natalieblakeley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was thinking this just yesterday. Two bits of fruit and my sugar RDA was wiped out. I think thats why WW doesnt work for me - the whole 'fruit is free' thing is ridiculous!

I've got a couple of blueberry bushes in the garden that are getting picked on a daily basis. Peaches and nectarines are nice to have about and of course strawberries and raspberries.

Pink Grapefruit I find a little bit sweeter than yellow x
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    I read on another post somewhere that MFP's daily sugar allowance is based on added sugar in foods not on natural sugar in foods such as fruit, honey, etc. but when you add foods to your diary it does count the natural sugars.

So if you eat fruit you will go over the allowance on MFP. I just ignore that macro and try to limit any foods with refined sugars added. Also remember, when looking at ingredients that sugar has many different names!
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Blueberries are "super fruits" in that they have the highest antioxidant count of ANY fruit, ever. They also can help slash your fat cells up to three-quarters, which makes you feel less hungry! I eat blueberries all the time.

Strawberries are good, but they're higher in fructose than a lot of fruits, and they don't have as good of a sugar to starch ratio, so you'll end up taking in more sugar at once. I avoid them.

Grapefruit is a super fight fighting food, and is SO good for you. It helps curb hunger and protect your heart. It's fantastic at boosting your metabolism! Grapefruit is a must in my diet. :)

Bananas are also good. They're high in fiber and potassium. I like to eat them in my oatmeal with cinnamon.

Hope this helps!

You know, I never went out of my way to buy/eat blueberries, not sure why. The only time I recall ever having them is when I've had blueberry muffins or blueberry jam! I've got some in the fridge now, going to start eating them with my oats in a morning. Strawberries, grapes and blueberries, sounds like one hell of a healthy breakfast!

Good for you! And yeah, I never did either. But blueberries are so great for you, I decided to add them to my daily food routine. Hope your breakfast was delicious!
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was thinking this just yesterday. Two bits of fruit and my sugar RDA was wiped out. I think thats why WW doesnt work for me - the whole 'fruit is free' thing is ridiculous!

I've got a couple of blueberry bushes in the garden that are getting picked on a daily basis. Peaches and nectarines are nice to have about and of course strawberries and raspberries.

Pink Grapefruit I find a little bit sweeter than yellow x

Not quite actually. Your sugar intake will say over, but when you eat fruits, it's not the same as eating processed sugar. The fructose in fruit is balanced by the starch content in the fruit....your body absorbs the sugar slower. THat's why it's actually okay to eat a lot of fruit, because the starch to sugar ratio. :)
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It's blueberry season here now, and there's a farm right across the road from my husband's office that sells them fresh picked that day. My god they are huge, sweet, and delicious! We buy them by the case at this time of year and freeze a bunch.

The blackberries infesting every wild patch around our neighbourhood will be ripening soon. Nothing like free berries everywhere you go when taking the dog for a walk. :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Don't over complicate things. All fruit is nutritious and provides essential vitamins and minerals as well as antioxidants and fiber. My fruit selection generally revolves around season.

Also, with grapefruit, make sure you check with your doctor and pharmacist about medications you may be taking. Grapefruit interferes with a lot of medications. I can't do grapefruit on a regular basis because it interferes with my blood pressure med.
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    Don't over complicate things. All fruit is nutritious and provides essential vitamins and minerals as well as antioxidants and fiber. My fruit selection generally revolves around season.

Also, with grapefruit, make sure you check with your doctor and pharmacist about medications you may be taking. Grapefruit interferes with a lot of medications. I can't do grapefruit on a regular basis because it interferes with my blood pressure med.

A few people have mentioned grapefruit can somehow mess with certain medication. The only meds I take, which aren't everyday, are one for heart burn (I sometimes get crazy heart burn, even from just drinking water) and if my sciatic nerve plays up, I sometimes take pretty strong pain killers. Will go and check Google now!

Thanks for all the replies people!
  • zrjp9
    zrjp9 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I try to include apples and blueberries everyday
  • Cherylllyn
    Cherylllyn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    All fruits are good for you.