Help! I keep craving sugar and go over my limit

Options
Hey all, this is something I've been having a hard time controlling for a while. Just as a bit of background: I have insulin resistance and take 500mg of metformin twice a day, so ideally I shouldn't be consuming as much sugar as I do.

Anyway, I'm having an extremely hard time keeping the cravings for something sweet at bay, particularly when it comes to sweeteners/flavors in my coffee. Some days are fine, but for the most part of the week I seem to consistently go over my levels and it's becoming kind of...bothersome. The last time I had blood work done (March), my sugar levels were normal because I started exercising more, but I feel like that's not going to be the case when I go next month.

So yeah, if anyone has advice on keeping these damn sugar cravings under control, that would be more than amazing!

Replies

• lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    The best CANCEL Button I have found is.....a cup of hot unsweetened black tea no milk. It cleanses my palette from whatever i have been treating it to--from there my willpower can takeover,

In between feed your body with enough protein and fat---yes FAT!
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Sugar feeds sugar. The more you eat, the more you want. Try to maybe have some nuts when you are craving sugar. Sounds weird, but it helps!
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Sugar feeds sugar. The more you eat, the more you want. Try to maybe have some nuts when you are craving sugar. Sounds weird, but it helps!

Very true. I've had a sugar addiction for a very long time. The last 3 weeks I've gone paleo and also cut out fruits. Never felt better. I had sugar cravings for 3 days then they were gone.
    Eat lots of protein and fat, it really does help.
  • Nessa0506
    Nessa0506 Posts: 81
    Options
    Nutrition major here so take my advice with a grain of salt :)

Sugar cravings a lot of times is a sign that you have a nutrient deficiency and your body is crying out for a fast fix. Magnesium is usually one of the culprits. Magnesium is a natural energy booster which is only approx 25% worth in a multi-vitamin (IF a person even takes a multi-vitamin, which everyone should). The other 75% come from vegetables. It is hard to find Mg anywhere else. Spinach and kale is high in Mg and easy to sneak in smoothies.

The second culprit usually is protein which someone mentioned early. One thing i have learned is the early you have protein the better.
  • Timmi1978
    Timmi1978 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey all, this is something I've been having a hard time controlling for a while. Just as a bit of background: I have insulin resistance and take 500mg of metformin twice a day, so ideally I shouldn't be consuming as much sugar as I do.

Anyway, I'm having an extremely hard time keeping the cravings for something sweet at bay, particularly when it comes to sweeteners/flavors in my coffee. Some days are fine, but for the most part of the week I seem to consistently go over my levels and it's becoming kind of...bothersome. The last time I had blood work done (March), my sugar levels were normal because I started exercising more, but I feel like that's not going to be the case when I go next month.

So yeah, if anyone has advice on keeping these damn sugar cravings under control, that would be more than amazing!

Have you tried a complete and planned sugar detox? Get rid of all sweet temptations at home and drink plenty of water. Before shopping, plan out what exactly you're going to buy and what you're going to eat for breakfast/lunch/dinner. To have a precise plan makes you can follow along makes it easier to stay 'clean'.
    If this sound too much like time intensive planning and researching for tips, recipes and rules, you may want to try the 21 day sugar detox plan from Diane Sanfilippo ( read more on timreviews.com/21daysugardetox). That's the way I started out and it was immensely helpful.