Looking for advice

Options

Replies

• loout
    loout Posts: 13
    Options
    Let's not get side tracked people! She asked for advice about what has worked for us, not for critizism about what her son eats! This is good way to get her motivation to an all time low!!!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options

There is puppy chow on that list. o_O
    Ahh, nevermind I see that is some sort of sweets recipe. Ignore me, lol.

Puppy chow is the *kitten*! Please tell me you've had it so I know you weren't denied a childhood. lol.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Ok, while I just saw your son's diary (WOAH, but if you're used to eating that much a day it's hard to cut it down to like, 2000 cals)...

What worked for me is walking, yoga, and eating at a calorie deficit. Reduce sugars, eat more lean meats, fruits and veggies.
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Welcome to the best weight loss pal ever!

It's simple, calories in v. calories out and getting into shape!

I would cut out fast food and soda first and foremost!

Good luck!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Hi meeeeeeeeeewm *waves*:laugh:

Nice Cartman reference.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I have been on MFP for a few years, and also ended up having weight loss surgery (twice in 12 years) so am my own afficianado for both sides of the fence LOL. My highest weight was about 400lbs and i absolutely know that i could easily end up larger than that.

I also know what it was like at 400...how impossible moving was, how hard it was to all of a sudden eat less/differently, how no one really seemed to understand the challenges that are specific to larger folks (like the "WOAH looked at your son's diary" comments" - I truly believe people don't mean to offend, they just can't quite understand) like sitting in chairs, getting up at all, having pains everywhere, etc. I know what it's like to feel that change is impossible. I know what it's like to have to keep on trucking, to constantly fall off the wagon and get back on it. I know what it's like to hate coming into public forums knowing you are the minority and having a hard time finding people that can actually be supportive (i think the folks that "feel" left out tend to not be speaking up), etc.

With that said, yes of course, it's all about calorie deficit. But more than that i think it's about:
    * Slowly, slowly changing a thing or two at a time so you don't feel deprived
    * Finding things that are suitable replacements for things you love that aren't great for you
    * Cutting out the liquid calories and easy to eat a gazillion of snack foods (like chips)
    * As possible, slowly try to move
    * Logging everything

What that means to me? I can't offer you tons of excellent scientific info, but i'll tell you the few key changes that really put me on the road to success (i'm only halfway there, have lost 120 and still have 100 to go!):

I loved cheese, am made of cheese, continuing to eat cheese the way i always had meant i couldn't realistically reduce calories. I found that laughing cow (while nutritional crap, i know) made it possible for me to feel like i was eating cheese and cut out the majority of cheese...now i rarely eat cheese, and when i do it's laughing cow or a sprinkling of a strong cheese like parmesan or feta or blue....so i can get the "mmm cheese" without the calories/fat, etc...mind you, my overall goal now besides weight loss is to eat as close to the source as possible and not eat chemical junk, but you know what, first things first and getting healthier and able to move is probably more important than being a purist in the beginning (in the end, they often end up hand in hand for folks who truly get healthy, not just thin).

When i needed volume, i found that roasting a pile of veggies and using lots of lettuce/veggies as a base for a yummy topping helped me to get volume with less calories (also, i was a veggie hater, but found that i loved veggies bbqd or roasted, then i became the veggie lover - still hate them steamed and stuff LOL). I think when we are eating a certain volume and try to cut that amount more than like 20% our body notices and fights. Using veggies/lettuce (aka low calorie fillers) along with the yummy stuff helped me to feel satiated but with less calories. This might be an especially useful technique for your son too! Volumetrics was interesting to read in that regard, talks a lot about using the higher volume food, for instance eat grapes instead of raisins, to get volume and feel satiated with less calories. I don't subscribe to a certain diet philosophy really, but you know, some things have impacted me and taught me things along the way.

I had to remove things that are "carriers", meaning the breads/chips etc...that i like to use as utensils for eating yummy stuff....aka i love to dip and spread...and dips and spreads are where the calories are, or at least it was for me. Removing bread from my diet overall made a huge difference for me. Now if i want "fillings" i use low calorie things like lettuce to wrap it in, or corn tortillas, etc.

Simply logging your food is life changing. I don't care if you eat 10,000 calories a day, just writing it down and seeing it helps you to start to understand how to replace and change and work with your food to get it down to less calories and that will start to effect change, no doubt as it might have already with your son.

It took a long time, a few years, of slowly changing habits before i noticed that my preferences had actually changed. I loved deep fried stuff, now when i try it after so long, i'm like "whoah, where's the flavor?", i never order the way i used to, trying to figure out what is the yummiest thing i can have at every meal....now i look for what is the healthiest thing i can order, and if i need it, will add something to it to up the yum factor....what i found out though, is once i order the "healthier" thing, once i had a few bites, well....i wasn't salivating for the "yummiest"...i was satisfied enough to be happy with the healthier thing. So don't give up. It takes a long time to get used to "less yummy" stuff....but eventually it does become your food of choice and you actually prefer it and find it yummier!

I didn't look at your diaries, and now that i've had sleeve surgery, mine is hidden, but i'm happy to be here for you and your son if you'd like to add me. Good for you guys for joining up. Ignore any negatives...this is a public forum where you'll get all opinions, even the crappy ones (you know what they say about opinions, everyone has one!) and just accept that this is your own journey and your biggest key to success is slowly figuring out what makes you healthy AND happy. Once you have a number of friends that can relate or support you in the way that makes you guys feel good, you'll really have a great time here on MFP.

One last thing, don't be afraid of those self help books. I'm not saying read everything out there, but some things can give you little epiphanies that really help. Volumetrics did open my eyes to how to get volume when i needed it without all the calories, and the BECK diet program (it's more behavior modification) workbook really was great in that it slowly ramped you up to creating and using simple tools to remind yourself and keep yourself on track. So much about eating is mental for some of us, and that might stay forever, but finding good ways to distract or remind ourselves can be really valuable in this journey.

And good for you for supporting your son. I wish i still had my kids at home so i could teach them what i've learned. He is lucky to have you. And you are lucky to have him..which led you here, so win win in my book!

Welcome aboard!
  • MattWrites
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

For me personally, it's down to discipline and mentally preparing yourself. Much of what we all face is a mental game.
  • AngieAngel57
    Options
    Hey guys
    Thank you for all the advice
    both me and al are going to begin to drink more water and cut out soda tomorrow
    i got a lot of people asking about my sons food intake
    and saying he isnt making progress
    what you dont understand
    is that he usually eats quite a bit more than this
    with the exeption of today he had a really tough day and somewhat of a relapse
    which i agreed he deserved a day off of his diet
    I went over my calore budget as well
  • wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

100,000 calories. 'Nuff said.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey guys
    what you dont understand

he's 800lbs, he doesnt need a day off his diet!
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! If you truly are on this site to lose weight and take care of yourself then I welcome you. I have read of some your son's posts and I am in disbelief. I'm sorry if I sound rude and offensive, but your son's daily intake of over 100,000 calories is unbelievable. How can one person eat that much? And if he truly is consuming that much, then why are your enabling him to do so? I welcome you to the site as well as your son, but I think that you and your son may need some more assistance than what MFP can provide. Good luck!
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! If you truly are on this site to lose weight and take care of yourself then I welcome you. I have read of some your son's posts and I am in disbelief. I'm sorry if I sound rude and offensive, but your son's daily intake of over 100,000 calories is unbelievable. How can one person eat that much? And if he truly is consuming that much, then why are your enabling him to do so? I welcome you to the site as well as your son, but I think that you and your son may need some more assistance than what MFP can provide. Good luck!

This^^^. The stats you are showing are bordering on genuinely unbelievable - hence the cry of Troll Posting. If you are both genuinely in this position, then welcome aboard and please get some professional help. This is a great site and will get real results when used correctly.

In answer to your original question, tackle 1 issue at a time, starting with an easy one like swapping regular soda for diet soda or instead of going for a burger with cheese, go for just the burger, or instead of 6 of something, only have 3. There is lots you can do to break this down into small chunks. And when genuinely helpful people offer sensible advice, take it on board.

Apply those two principles and I am sure you will start to make progress in the right direction!
  • younginaz
    younginaz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP! :D
    You'll meet a great deal of supportive people here, which is awesome!

To answer your question, I'd say that worked for me was becoming aware of what I was eating. I realized along the way that'd oftenly eat above 3000 calories a day because I love the taste of food and I love snacking.

Once I started measuring and writing down every bite I take, I realized how much I was overeating and how damaging it was. MAJOR WAKE UP CALL.

EXACTLY!!
  • Guinevere_22
    Guinevere_22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey guys
    what you dont understand

Well done for coming forward and attempting to create change in your life.

You both need to see a doctor, and not just a GP. There is most definitely an eating disorder involved and you will not be able to tackle this disorder without outside help. MFP can only do so much, and this is where it reaches it's limit.

You need to stop enabling your son by feeding him whatever he wants; YOU ARE KILLING HIM!
    Make a choice; either continue helping him slowly and excruciatingly kill himself, or you take control and say NO and WALK AWAY!

I would sincerely suggest you take this issue to an eating disorder clinic or at least a therapist who deals with this kind of thing. You cannot expect your son to lose 600lbs without seeing a doctor, it's just not going to happen.

Good luck working through this, it's going to be difficult, but if you stick to it you will both come out stronger people for it.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    According to Albert's diary he ate enough, yesterday, to gain roughly 28lbs. In fact, he would gain at least one pound from each previous day that has been logged.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is trolling kicked up a few notches!
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is trolling kicked up a few notches!

but I want to see where the story goes....
  • shortmomma81
    Options
    You must change your way of thinking before you change your body as everything we do lies in our brain. Do not think of it as a diet, think of it as changing the foods that you eat. Start slow, it is the only way you will not want to quit. You must get your body used to moving. If you think you can, you will. If you think you can't, you won't. Effort.
  • JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP both you and your son. what has worked for me is making myself accountable for everything I eat. Measure weigh everything start reading food labels cut out all the processed foods and eat clean. Lots of fruits veggies and whole grains. don't begrudge yourself treats cuz then you will binge on them the key word on this jorney is moderation. Start drinking lots of water If you drink coffee cut out the sugar and cream and if you can't I use artificial sweetener and low fat or sugar free coffee creamer. a lot of people don't suggest artificial sweetener but you have to find what works for you. find supportive friends and when you hit a rough patch reach out cuz that is not a good thing and might also cuz you to binge. You will do great both you and your son this is a wonderful sight good luck and if you would like you can add me.:flowerforyou:
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    in for the troll roast