Going on holiday tomorrow for a few days help!!

Options
So, going on holiday tomorrow for 3 days, should be looking forward to it but am dreading having to think about what I am eating, I know that is terrible and I should be in a lifestyle choice but I am still one of these people who views food as a reward! The only good thing is that I will be much more active on this holiday, cycling, swimming and walking with my niece and nephew but maybe not enough to cover the lovely holiday food I want to eat....help please anyone in a similar situation????

Replies

• Bigjuicyhog
    Bigjuicyhog Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Eat the lovely holliday food, only in moderation! Split a plate with your SO. Enjoy yourself!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's 3 days. Get back inot the swing when you've returned from holidays.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Set your calorie goal to maintenance for 3 days and enjoy your holiday :flowerforyou:
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I've been "saving up" calories this week for my weekend trip this weekend. Switch to eating at "maintenance" and eat based off that. Eating in moderation but still enjoying a little of everything. Once you get back and jump back into it there will be no lasting damage
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I had the same fear not long ago, but I discovered if I logged it (and wrote it down when I couldn't connect w/ MFP) and was AWARE of what I was eating, I did okay. Have small portions of things, don't be afraid to bring it back with you for later, exercise as much as you can in any form that you can - even walking slowly is better than doing nothing, and drink your water - lots of it to help with the sodium. You'll do fine! :Bigsmile:
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and exercise. Walk to places as much as possible. It won't even feel like you are exercising. I went on vacation for a week to the ocean. I walked to the beach, then home and walked a mile at night. I ate what I wanted to but in moderation and lost weight over the holiday.:flowerforyou: But do enjoy yourself. It is only 3 days.
  • StefieLou
    StefieLou Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a week away, and did better than I had thought!
    I kept raw nuts with me in my purse the whole time (raw almonds and cashews).
    I also kept a small (never used) travel shampoo bottle of flavored balsamic vinegar in my purse for salads while I was out, instead of having to eat the fatty-ier dressings from restaurants OR at my in-law's house. I packed my little vinegar bottle right in my airplane carry-on plastic ziplock baggie.

The other thing I did was to make sure I ALWAYS had an apple or banana. I swiped extra fruit from the hotel, bought a piece at gas stations and even took a few bananas after the 5k I ran to have on hand.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!!! Walk as MUCH as you can!!!
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I know your stress and it won't help at all to just say "Have fun and don't worry about eating right." When you spend all your time thinking about getting the right food in and how many calories and all the work you've put into it to this point - you just can't turn it off for three days. And you don't want to see yourself backslide. If you're anything like me, my biggest worry was that I was going to eat all this crap food that I'd spent months getting out of my system and then come home and start craving it again.

You really can't control everything on vacation but you can take the stress off a little. What I do when I go on vacation is I pack myself some snacks I know I can eat - almonds, no salt added popcorn, whatever you like. I also buy a pack of bottled water. Use the snacks to balance out the big meals so you're not starving in between when you're out being active. Make positive choices when you eat out, but don't worry too much. Split meals if you can, but again, try not to worry too much. I ALWAYS ask waiters to ask them not to add additional salt to my food. If I don't have a fridge in my hotel, I give myself permission not to eat everything on my plate and be ok with wasting it. I need to feel like I still have some control over what's I'm eating, even if I have no idea what my calories are.

Lastly, I make a plan for when I return so I don't slip into any bad habits I picked up on vacation. This usually makes me feel MUCH better knowing that whatever happens on vacation, I'm good to go when I come back to the real world.

Good luck and do enjoy your vacation!
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I will be doing that next weekend for 3 days. I plan on packing healthy snacks so we won't be tempted to stop at gas stations or whatever for unhealthy stuff. As far as meals, I can pack a few things, but we will probably pick somewhere to eat that has salads or places we know we can eat cheap/healthy. And with all the walking we will be doing and the fact that the hotel has a fitness center and a pool, I think we'll be ok. Oh, and water! Lots of water! :) Good luck, have fun and hopefully we can help ease the stress of this so you can enjoy! :)
  • nee90
    nee90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I went on a vacation I took lots of nuts and digestive biscuits with me for easy and light snacking (you can take them even on the beach)! It helped me control the hunger and be more careful with my main meals!
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just came back from vacation. I tried to eat as close to normal as possible. I also made a point to eat fruits or veggies at every meal. I did a ton of walking and I ate dessert when i wanted, but I watched my portion size. I came back one pound heavier, but it was water weight. I got it in my head that I wasn't going to ruin my progress. In general, I would say don't stress yourself out too much. I also did not log on vacation.