Do you guys log spices?

Options

Replies

• nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When I make recipes on here I'll add them, since I'll likely use them again and I try to be accurate as possible. However, if I add some table salt to a meal, I don't add it, even though I know it contributes to sodium... So, I pick and choose I guess :|
  • NadirToZenith
    NadirToZenith Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    No I don't track dry spices or fresh herbs. Its a conscious decision on my end. The effort to enter them outweighs the need for accuracy IMO. I don't use enough to really make a difference. I sometimes won't even log the clove or two of garlic I use. I know it can add up but for me, the small number doesn't make the effort worthwhile. Condiments and dressings I do log of course.
  • mreffle
    mreffle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I do when creating a recipe in MFP, and prepackaged stuff like taco seasoning, and condiments - lots of salt in them. Never new about cumin being so high in iron!
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    I log them only because I have to restrict sodium due to concurrent heart and liver failure. I will retain water like crazy, even though I'm on diuretics, so sodium is a big no-no, as is drinking/eating a lot of fluid. So, I have to cook my meals from scratch, can't eat out really, and can't eat packaged/canned/frozen foods. Since I know exactly what's going into my food in what quantities, I just log everything. The calories from spices are negligible when spread through a whole recipe. Some spices have sodium, some don't. Once I memorize which ones do and which ones don't, I'll only log those that do, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Yes... You'd be surprised how many spices have carbs that most people wouldn't normally think to log

Edit to add: I only use salt-free spices, so I don't log due to sodium issues
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I do when creating a recipe in MFP, and prepackaged stuff like taco seasoning, and condiments - lots of salt in them. Never new about cumin being so high in iron!

You should look into making your own taco seasoning, WAY better for you!:

1 tablespoon Chili Powder
    2 teaspoons Onion Powder
    1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
    1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
    1 teaspoon Paprika
    1 teaspoon Ground Oregano

I've used this recipe forever- I use it to replace 1 packet of seasoning
  • Bigjuicyhog
    Bigjuicyhog Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If they are listed as having calories, then yes. If not, then no.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Heya,

Last night I prepared Ćevapčići for a BBQ. Later, I created a recipe because I east them quite often. When I logged all ingredients I realised I had never really payed attention to the spices. When I checked I was rather surprised to find that I used cumin "worth" 44 calories. I didn't log it but it made me think if you guys do?

When I do recipes, I throw them in. I do not if I just throw a bunch of cayenne on a chicken breast sandwich.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I'm counting calories, not losing my mind. Besides, I love to experiment and I can hardly remember what I put into something by the end of cooking. Besides, how to you log "three shakes of chili powder" and a pinch of anything else?
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I usually log spices, when I change a recipe, so I can remember what I added to make it so good!...lol...Sometimes I forget ....But I make a point of it if it is something unusual for me to use.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i log my spices, as well as vanilla and other things like that. i make my own vanilla out of vanilla beans and vodka... so it definitely has calories.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Herbs I don't. Ground spices I do as they have carbs.
    That chinese seasonin mentioned earlier on in this thread has a lot of sugar. I would log that.
  • parallax1978
    parallax1978 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Only things that have calories
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Heya,

Last night I prepared Ćevapčići for a BBQ. Later, I created a recipe because I east them quite often. When I logged all ingredients I realised I had never really payed attention to the spices. When I checked I was rather surprised to find that I used cumin "worth" 44 calories. I didn't log it but it made me think if you guys do?

That's a **** ton of cummin....

Logging spices is a bit OCD for me and I lost 40 Lbs not logging them...they are inconsequential and I cook with a lot of spices.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

You should look into making your own taco seasoning, WAY better for you!:

1 tablespoon Chili Powder
    2 teaspoons Onion Powder
    1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
    1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
    1 teaspoon Paprika
    1 teaspoon Ground Oregano

I've used this recipe forever- I use it to replace 1 packet of seasoning

Nice!
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I log them. I use my previous meals as recipe guides for other uses. Knowing that my smoothie was rockin' with cinnamon is something to note.
  • KhaIeesi
    KhaIeesi Posts: 15
    Options
    Two or three tbsp I think, it was a recipe for 4 people. I don't mind in this case but it made me wonder if it makes a big difference if I generally don't log them because I use quite a lot of spices (mainly Asian and Mediterranean) when I cook.
  • _AC3_
    _AC3_ Posts: 16
    Options
    Dried spices are only relevant for sodium, etc. If you're not concerned with such things and focusing on calories, then no. Sauces however, should be logged, including salsas and hot sauce.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I log them because while the calories aren't in the super significant range generally, the carbs can be. I was shocked to see that spice has calories though. I always thought it was much more insignificant than it is.
  • AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When I checked I was rather surprised to find that I used cumin "worth" 44 calories.

That's quite a lot...
    a spoonfull of dried cumin (not ground) is about 8 kcal, dus 44 cal means 5.5 spoons of cumin. And this all for one portion?

I don't log spices and herbs, because I use them in quantities that are so small, that they would hardly add 10 kcal a day.

If you only use spices in small quantities, this may seem excessive to you, but some recipes (especially eastern ones, curries etc) can easily use that much cumin.

In fact, I often cook Indian meals (following the directions of the cookbooks I bought in India) so I think I can say I'm uused to cooking with spices, but 5 spoons of cumin for one portion (i.e. the quantity one person is going to eat in one course)... Yes, that seems a lot...