Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I know it's "just a pound" but.....

Hi all! I had hit a 9 lb weight loss and was stoked. I made the mistake of weighing every day and I now think the 9 lb loss was a fluke. Regained a lb and can't get it to leave the party no matter what I do. I am staying at my 1200 calories, not over or under by much. Not exercising enough...that could be it. I am drinking a lot but will try to increase. It's frustrating when you want to see the scale go DOWN not UP. Just had to vent to a group that gets it! Thanks!!! Have a great day!

Replies

• irivas1
    irivas1 Posts: 35 Member
    Me too. :sad: I would like to hear from someone who is further on in their journey and have gone through this. :ohwell:
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Early losses involve a lot of water weight. When you start eating at a deficit, you burn through your glycogen stores, which are bonded to water. With the glycogen gone, the water is released. This causes an apparent large initial gain. The 9 lbs loss is unlikely to happen again. Without having access to your diary, I can't give specific advice. You might be eating too much salt, and retaining water. You might be eating more than you think you are. Are you weighing everything you eat on a scale? It is very easy to underestimate what you eat and not be able to lose. If you just started exercising, you might be retaining extra water as a result of the exercise. It is common to retain water and glycogen at muscles following the beginning of a workout routine that can take several weeks to fall off. Open your diaries, and the MFP community will be more help.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    How long haven't you lost for? It can take time to lose weight. If it's just a couple of weeks, keep going. Everyone stalls for a week or two at some point. If it's been longer, try adding in some exercise and see what happens. I've been through a couple of plateaus, going through one right now - haven't lost for the last 2 months - gotta not let it put you off.

I also don't think weighing everyday is a mistake. I weigh everyday to keep track of fluctuations. Just track it all and make sure that over time you're losing.
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    I weigh myself more than I should, (sometimes twice a day) and my weight is constantly up and down by a lb or so. I just remind myself to keep going in the right direction and the hard work will eventually show. Keep your head up!
  • AprilMae1975
    AprilMae1975 Posts: 726
    I have been going through the same thing....I have actually been stuck with the same 2 pound weight loss/gain. I decided that I am hiding the scale for a month!! I am seeing changes in the way my clothes fit so I know something is changing.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    More information: How quickly did you lose the 9lbs? How long has it been since you gained the 1 lb back?
  • RabbiBeth
    RabbiBeth Posts: 37 Member
    Hi All! Thanks for your replies!! Really appreciate it.

i am probably being a bit impatient. The re-gain/stall has only been 3-4 days. The initial 9 lb loss took about 2 weeks....and that is a lot to lose in two weeks, I realize, so I should just appreciate that and not get crazy!

I have a bad habit of letting the scale dictate my thoughts on the weight loss journey....and I know better! The overall trends over the course of weeks (months, etc....) are what matter the most.

I am currently mostly off dairy and all animal products. Trying to eat "close to the ground" so to speak - very few processed goods except for an occasional "Vita-Top" muffin at night as a sweet - which I know is artificial and not ideal, but I love that it has 10g fiber and 100 calories. Aside from that, I am eating "whole foods" for sure - heavy on fruits and veggies, carefully measured amounts of seeds/almond butter, carefully measured amounts of heartier plant based items like sweet potato, etc.

I will eventually bring back in Greek yogurt and fish but for now am keeping it largely plant based as an experiment. Also, part of my motivation is that I am going away for 5 day to "grown up camp" (LOL!). The program is all juicing (fruit and veg) and vegan whole foods....it's a "Reboot Camp" with Joe Cross, the man from the film "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead." I am excited. The program is not far from my home region, and I am giving this treat to myself. There will be yoga, Tai Chi, meditation, nature walks, classes on holistic wellness issues....it's a five day experience. I am hoping to use it as a time for some quiet away from my normally hectic, overprogrammed life with a chance to really eat/drink well and perhaps drop a couple lbs. When I get back, I will carefully transition back into dairy, fish, etc.

Well, this got long-winded! : ) Thanks for reading! It's fun to be online here with you all!!
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Your camp sounds like so much fun! I hope you have a blast and get a lot of good motivation and information from it.

It's very difficult to stay positive when you see the scale/measurements not doing what you want them to do, but just be patient. That (for me) is certainly the hardest part of getting healthy- being patient to see the results.

9 lbs in 2 weeks is huge and you only gained 1 lb back?! I think that is a great accomplishment.

Keep up the excellent work.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Hi All! Thanks for your replies!! Really appreciate it.

i am probably being a bit impatient. The re-gain/stall has only been 3-4 days. The initial 9 lb loss took about 2 weeks....and that is a lot to lose in two weeks, I realize, so I should just appreciate that and not get crazy!

Definitely being impatient. The inital 9 lbs is probably due in large part to burning through your glycogen stores and dropping water weight. If you've only been stalled for a few days, then the 1 lbs gain is likely due to normal fluctuations in body weight (retained water, biomass in digestive system, etc.) that can vary by upwards of five pounds over the course of a day. Don't expect to keep seeing huge losses in short periods of time. Burning fat is going to take more time. You need to be patient.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Sounds like you know what you're doing now. Just to say have fun at the camp, good luck in the rest of your diet!