How do I..

Options
Im looking online but it seems a lot of people are confusing weight loss and body fat% loss. I want to lose both. How do I focus on losing body fat% to get a lean body that I want? im working on losing weight as well and am looking to lose around 30-50lbs.

Replies

• jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and eat food
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose too quickly will cause you to lose muscle along with fat. Not eating enough protein will cause you to lose muscle along with fat. Not putting enough strain on your muscles may cause you to lose muscle along with fat.

Eat enough protein (you can increase the protein limit in your goals if you want), do strength training and cardio, eat a modest deficit.
  • amanduh9911
    amanduh9911 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Right now im doing insanity and a 1200 calorie diet. So I should keep this up and increase protein? ... Im scared ill bulk up :/ and that's not what I want lol.
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and eat food

^ this &

make sure your eating enough, google eat more 2 weigh less
    build/ retain muscle by lifting :)
  • amanduh9911
    Options
    Im interested in this eat more to weight less.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You should be following the insanity meal program as well. I'm almost positive that it would call for you to be eating more that 1200 calories per day. As others have said, if you don't properly fuel, you'll lose muscle. Muscle weight loss = Skinny fat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Right now im doing insanity and a 1200 calorie diet. So I should keep this up and increase protein? ... Im scared ill bulk up :/ and that's not what I want lol.

Insanity is great, but you won't gain much muscle mass on a deficit. While losing you need to focus mainly on maintaining the muscle you have and increasing strength.

Eat more. 1200 is not enough calories for Insanity. You will lose too quickly and that will likely mean muscle loss. Eat a modest deficit.

And yes, make sure you get enough protein. If you are otherwise healthy you can eat a lot more than the general recommendation MFP gives. If you have any medical issues, check with your doctor for a safe goal.
  • amanduh9911
    Options
    thank you all =) I get so impatient. lol I just want that lean body so bad!
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Yeah, be careful. You don't want to become Schwarzenegger over night.
  • amanduh9911
    Options
    So I should just leave the protein as is for now? lol. I basically want to lose weight more than anything but I would also like to have a lean and tight body. Nothing too drastic just tight and fit. Its a far fetched goal but Im doing short term goals to get me there =)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    So I should just leave the protein as is for now? lol. I basically want to lose weight more than anything but I would also like to have a lean and tight body. Nothing too drastic just tight and fit. Its a far fetched goal but Im doing short term goals to get me there =)

I think the post above about Arnold was sarcasm. Eat a little more, mix strength training along with your cardio and you'll lose weight and maintain more LBM than if you do cardio alone and only 1200 calories a day.
  • amanduh9911
    Options
    thanks! =)
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The tight and toned goal will only come when your bf% has come down enough to see the muscle, for example has abs, and biceps and glutes, its just hidden under a layer of fight.

So just lift weight to maintain what lbm you have, get that bf% done, then lift hard and lift heavy.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    definitely increase those calories, making sure when you do the food choices you make are good ones.