Trying not to get discouraged....

I'm doing my best not to let the scale bother me because I understand that it's not the ONLY to track your progress, but in the past several weeks I've lost nothing...actually put a bit over 2 pounds in. I've tried changing my calorie intake, decreasing and increasing. I'm open to suggestions and my diary is open....

Replies

• princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    have you measured other ways? such as a tape measure? your clothing???
    , are you lifting ???

i do the eat more 2 weigh less method, google it :) just strating out with it.. all the best :)
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Just keep plugging away at it and the scale will catch up eventually.

How do you feel inside? Do you have more energy? Are you happy with yourself? I think those are the biggest markers of success. And even if you don't lose it's worth it to have a healthy lifestyle for so many other reasons. Remember your kids and wife just want you around for as long as possible, keep at it for them.

23 pounds is amazing! Great job!
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    , are you lifting ???

i do the eat more 2 weigh less method, google it :) just strating out with it.. all the best :)

I measured my waist a few weeks ago but have to do it again today when I get home from work..I've been running but now lifting. I've actually tightened up my belt a notch or two so at least I know I'm losing SOMETHING... :)
  • ken_hogan
    Just keep plugging away at it and the scale will catch up eventually.

How do you feel inside? Do you have more energy? Are you happy with yourself? I think those are the biggest markers of success. And even if you don't lose it's worth it to have a healthy lifestyle for so many other reasons. Remember your kids and wife just want you around for as long as possible, keep at it for them.

23 pounds is amazing! Great job!

I've been feeling great and my clothes have been starting to feel looser. I just have never come across this situation before when I was doing Weight Watchers. I will just stay patient and it will catch up like you said.
  • princesstoadstool82
    , are you lifting ???

I measured my waist a few weeks ago but have to do it again today when I get home from work..I've been running but now lifting. I've actually tightened up my belt a notch or two so at least I know I'm losing SOMETHING... :)

if your lifting, and you've lost inches/ cm's... but the scale hasnt moved, im gonna assume thats muscle you've gained :) muscle take up less room then fat :)
  • princesstoadstool82
    dont focus so much on the scale, :) more on inches :)
  • NadirToZenith
    NadirToZenith Posts: 62 Member
    I agree. Sounds like you're putting on muscle which is fantastic. More muscle means faster calorie burn. Don't get discouraged. You're actually moving toward your goal faster than you think!
  • ken_hogan

Thank you...I usually don't dwell on it like this but am just trying to move forward. :happy:
  • princesstoadstool82

Thank you...I usually don't dwell on it like this but am just trying to move forward. :happy:

one step at a time mate :smile: you can do it :happy:
  • lkgarza
    lkgarza Posts: 56 Member
    Just wanted to add my encouragement! Keep at it! You will get there and it sounds like there are other great indicators that you are moving in the right direction! I too am discouraged with the scale, but my clothes are fitting differently and I am feeling stronger so that is what I am focusing on! Best of luck! Keep us posted with your journey!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Just wanted to add my encouragement! Keep at it! You will get there and it sounds like there are other great indicators that you are moving in the right direction! I too am discouraged with the scale, but my clothes are fitting differently and I am feeling stronger so that is what I am focusing on! Best of luck! Keep us posted with your journey!

^^^^^
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Hi Ken.

I took a look at your food diary and see what I see in my diary, treats (kit kats, ice cream, etc.), except, I have a lot of beer in my diary too!! I haven't seen the scale move in the right direction either.

I'm going to cut back on my alcohol by having water between beers and swap out my treats with snacks of walnuts, grapes, watermelon.

I hope by putting it in writing here that I will actually do it!!
  • lbuseth
    lbuseth Posts: 41
    Congrats on what you have done so far! That is something to be proud of. After taking a look at your food. I would say that you need to eat less processed food. More fruits, veggies and lean protein. Additionally do you workout? Maybe adding in some walks in the morning or evening would help? Also, make sure you are eating everything 3 hours because your body will burn fat faster this way. If you need any help let me know. Good Luck and keep up the good work!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Hey Ken,

It looks like you're dedicated to logging and you are staying under goal consistently. Have you tried adding any exercising to "kick start" your metabolism? Also, I am a firm believer that it took years to get to the weight at which you started and taking it off will require patience and detemination. You are already down 23 so that is a fantastic start.

I say don't grow discouraged, show your 3 sons that you're in it for the long haul and quitting is not an option. Add me if you would like another motivator.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    I agree with all the other posts. Hang in...could be your body is just going through a mini weight loss plateau, but if you continue to do everything right, it may correct itself. It's hard, I know, but keep working at it. You're doing awesome.
  • I know it's difficult not to hop on the scale everyday, but you can drive yourself mad doing so. Better to measure yourself at a consistent time every two weeks. You will gain weight as you increase muscle mass, but if you stick with it and continue to carefully monitor your diet, you'll also lose inches... and losing inches (fat) is what matters :-)
  • lisquito
    lisquito Posts: 19 Member
    I know its been said, but they're right! Gaining muscle will make it seem like you're not losing weight (pounds on the scale) so measuring inches or how your clothes are fitting will be a good indication of your progress! I also heartily agree with the note above that the way that you're feeling - feeling better, more energized, healthier - are better indicators than either weight or inches!!!!!

Lastly - I have noticed that sometimes I hit small plateaus in my weight loss progress, but thats when I'm weighing myself every few days as opposed to every two weeks. Spacing out measuring will help you appreciate the progress and not stress about the daily weight fluctuations, which are completely normal!
  • shayleac
    shayleac Posts: 76 Member
    I had this same problem for months.

Also looked at your diary, you eat a TON of sodium. I would try to keep that below 2500mg everyday
    and drink more water to flush it out. It could be making you retain water.

I only weigh myself once every 2 weeks to avoid getting discouraged.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    Ken, I looked at your diary and I did notice some processed foods. With me, when I don't chose processed foods like ice cream, processed cheese, white bread, etc. and DO choose eggs, natural cheese, oatmeal, 100% wheat bread, coconut milk, nuts, etc. I always lose. Same amount of calories but healthier. Ex. So today I had 2 eggs, a bunch of veggies stir fried in Pam, all for 200 calories rather than a box cereal. I am using FP for the first time for motivation and it is working too. I will cheer you on the whole way-stay with it!!!
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    You have already achieved a good amount of weight loss! Well done!

Looking at your diet, there seems to be a lot of processed foods, bread, sweets.

For an example breakfast you might try 2 eggs cooked in a teaspoon or less of coconut oil and some fresh spinach cooked with it.

You will feel a lot fuller for longer and much less sodium, sugar, etc.

You are doing a great job!!!