How do I run a half marathon?

Options
2»

Replies

• Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Also, sleep! The night before the race you may be nervous/excited and since you have to get up early you might not get the best night's sleep the night before the race. That's ok! If you get a great night's sleep the night BEFORE that then you'll still be plenty rested even if you only get a few hours the night before.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    A lot of publications say not to run the full distance before the event, so in this instance do say 8-12miles as a lot comes down to the raise atmosphere and how you're feeling.

I have never read that. I have read that it's not necessary, which is true. But, I've never heard anyone say not to run the whole distance.

I have also heard it isn't necessary. However I did to 13 mile training runs before my first half and it was a huge confidence builder! For my second half, I only did 11 and sure enough my race fell apart a little bit at mile 11. You don't need to run 13 before the race, but I think it helps.
  • dchief30
    dchief30 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    my wife and I are training for an 1/2 but last year we ran the M.I.T. in Des Moines it was really cold at the beginning but as it went on it got cold if you have somebody that is watching you should put them like after you third mile and give them your jacket I would not wear any tights or something that is really hard to get off because of time drink a lot of water to and do not used anything new that you aren't used to like gel or gue if you having used don't it will mess your stomach up if you don't know how you will react to it keep training and good luck oh and also Gatorade and power aid always will make you thirsty so you will want to watch that too. For recovery chocolate milk works really good luck
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Biking sleeves are kinda nice if you don't want to lose a jacket. They will keep the chill off, but they are easy to carry if you get hot and need to pull them off. I tie them around my ankle. Also, if you aren't trying to win the race, wearing a light weight lycra long sleeve and tying it around your waist is not going to noticeably slow you down.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm not arguing. But why change? Just do what you've been doing.

And there is definitely something to be said for keeping to your routine as much as possible but race day does bring a few unique changes that are worth taking into consideration. I carry 20 - 40 oz of water with me when I train. I carry none when I race. I care less about all out performance on a standard long run. If you run a long day at your race pace you do risk burning yourself out for a couple days which can impact your training all week. So on race days I will go all out (which may not be apparent when watching me plod along!). Since I'm burning more energy on a day like that, I need to be more careful about my nutrition leading up to and during the race than I would otherwise. But since I want maximize performance in ways that I don't normally care about on a training run, that's why I pay closer attention to those things.

But yes, keep as much to a routine as you can. Don't introduce new foods. Wear clothing you've trained in. Use the bathroom before you go 8)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Oooooh, just remembered water!

I didnt carry water with me during any of my training runs.

During the race itslef I took a cup of water at one of the stations, and had to force it down, and then felt really nauseous for a while. So think about whether you'll need water during the run, and practice drinking it en route.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    It's REALLY easy....You just go: right foot, then left foot, freally, really fast! LMAO..

Sorry i had too.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you this; have you ever run an organized race before, or did you just choose a half for your first? There seems to be a lot you don't know (i.e. how to dress) that IMO you probably should know before taking on a half.

Yes, you can ask questions here and learn a lot, but by the time I did a half I knew how to get proper running shoes. I knew how to dress for any weather condition. I know what do regarding hydration, "carb loading", gels, etc. Most of that I learned WELL before doing a half (I did a whole bunch of 5ks over a 1.5 year period before I graduated to a half).

I'm just wondering if you're really ready, or did I just misinterpret your post?
  • leaellenj
    leaellenj Posts: 38
    Options
    Some of the advice seems odd. By the time you run the race, you should have already run that distance at least once. So, that why I say, do NOTHING different. Just do what you do in training. The only thing I agree with is barely run at all, not taper, just do a couple short 3 miles runs the week of the race to let your body rest from your training. Other than that, it's just another training session. Don't do anything different.

This seems odd advice to me. You're right, she should not do anything different or new on race day, but she has lots of time to try all the advice she's been given before that.

As for running that distance at least once before the race, I completely disagree. I was really nervous because I wasn't able to do that before race day. When I voiced that concern to more experienced runners, they all said as long as you've hit 10 miles, you'll be fine. They were right. I had hit 11 miles (weather had been really bad for my training). And on race day, I had zero issues. I finished nearly 10 minutes faster than my plan, and felt good. In fact, I was pretty active the rest of the day too - including spending a bunch of time in IKEA later. So, not running 13.1 prior to race day had zero affect on me.

I also did do a taper before the race, but a pretty short one. Probably over the week and a half before the race, I went down to 6, 4, and 2 and then had 2 days of rest before the race.

I agree, the week of the race, just do short, easy runs to keep your legs fresh but not tired. I also agree that you don't have to have run the 13 miles prior to the race. Lots of people do, lots of people don't. Personally, when I was training for my first half marathon, I was finishing up my last semester of college and while the training definitely helped keep me sane that semester, I also had a really erratic schedule. I hadn't run more than 8.5 or 9 miles before the race and I had no problems. Better preparation than that of course is encouraged. =)

I'd also like to mention, you also don't necessarily have to spend lots of money on energy supplements for running. I have a very sensitive stomach so gus and things don't work well for me. I carry a bag of jelly beans or m&ms and pop 4-5 every mile or so. It's cheap and just as effective.

Edited for spelling.
  • cowboy48
    cowboy48 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Use your training runs closer to the race to determine what to wear. You will get a feel as to what works and what doesn't. That is what I use all training runs for, trying a new piece of clothing to see if it chafes, or a new supplement to see if it works or upsets my stomach. Also I agree with some of the other people posting here - do nothing different on race day than you have for all your training runs. If it worked in training it will work for the race. That includes food , hydration, clothing. Don't try out a new gel or a new pair of running shoes on race day. You will do great. Have fun- that is the main thing. Enjoy the experience.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Light jacket with your name/addy and bib number sharpied on it. There should be a clothes drop spot on the course.

Learn how to fuel (water and nutrients) during your long runs. Get familiar with gu, really, it's amazing.

KT tape is a joint saver,

Run almost all of your long runs at the start time so you can learn how to fuel on the day of... Even if it means sleeping with food beside you so the first thing you do is eat (worked for my last half marathon).

Hydrate really well the day before every long run, and eat well the night before (chicken and rice in my house, no alcohol or grease or anything "new", no foods that irritate the tummy).

Literally treat every "long run" like it's race day.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Runner from Michigan here....

I've been running for about 2 years now and run outside all year - I HATE the treadmill and avoid it at all costs. I am currently training for my 6th and 7th half marathons. I am running one in September and then the Detroit Free Press half in October (3rd time for this event).

I don't know what the weather will be like further north in October but having experience running in December/January/February in Detroit I can give you a good perspective on cold weather running.

You will be surprised by how quickly you warm up so you definitely want to wear layers. I usually run with a sleevless shirt under a long sleeve shirt with a zipper jacket over it. A few miles into the run when I get warm I can take the jacket off and tie it around my waist for the rest of the run. Also I run with gloves on (the back of which are also good for a drippy nose - just be sure to wash them with the rest of your running clothes :). Unless it's well below freezing and very windy I've even found that I need to take my gloves off at some point during the run because my hands get so warm. I will put them in the pockets of the zipper jacket tied around my waist so I don't lose them. After the run is over you will want them both back on as you will get cold again as your body starts to cool down.

Feel free to add me to your friend list - I love running friends :flowerforyou: Look at my profile and decide if we are a good match. I and am happy to help with running suggestions - Michigan or otherwise.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about doing a half in early October, but it is likely to be much warmer here. I have run 10 miles without stopping or walking once and 8 miles a few times. I have been reading and talking with others who run the longer distances and have decided that I will not try to run the full distance before the race. I think a lot of it is mental; these little mind games we play with ourselves do have an effect though. If I run one as practice, I won't be as highly motivated to complete it and there is a good chance I would convince myself that I had done enough at some point. Then later I would reflect on it more and see it as failure. Stupid, right? But reality...
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Some decent advice above, but here is what is going to happen. You have a plan, hopefully a good one (I prefer Hal Higdon's). Stick to it. A good plan is proven and you won't need much else in terms of distance advice than it gives you. Biggest mistakes I've seen people make is going too far too soon and/or running too fast. Stick to your plan and listen to your body. Make sure you take the rest days your plan provides, they are needed.

Make sure you do at least some of your training at the same time of day as your race. As long as you live near where you train you will find out what works for you. How fast you heat up, do you need a jacket, hat, gloves, leggings or shorts, etc. I love running cold, others hate it. Do what works for YOU. If you do need like gloves (very handy on cold mornings) but you won't need them for the full run, buy cheap cotton ones from a store and toss them at an aid station. Some races will have them on sale at their expos. Sweatshirt needed? Great time to clean out your closet.

What happens before the race? You get nervous. What happens during the race? You get excited, then run too fast and get tired, then get excited again as you get near the finish. What happens after the race? You wear a grin from ear to ear and brag for days/weeks/months.

Most important part of the race.....enjoy yourself!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Figure out what you want to be wearing at mile 5 by running in as close to race day conditions as you can predict beforehand.

Wear that.

If you think you will be cold before the race, go to the dollar store and buy as many long sleeve T's as you need to cover up and peel them off right before the race or in the first few miles. Or hit your closet like the person above said - what do you need to get rid of?

Practice with your nutrition - gels, honey, whatever. See what works for you, how often you need it, etc. Experiment with it - figure out what you need and carry it with you for the race - don't rely on aid stations for fuel. If you want electrolytes for fluid, carry your hydration with you as well. I ran my 70.3 with a Nathan hydration pack because I'm slow, was in a late starting wave, and didn't want to risk hitting aid stations late in the race that had run out of water (I've seen it happen in a 10k I ran in - no water after mile 3 - sucked!). The Nathan bags are hardly noticeable they are so comfortable.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Oh boy... where to begin? You have a plan and know how to train... Awesome. Planning is the biggest part of a successful race. Here are a few other tips I have gleamed and taught to my clinics over the last few years.

First off... wear what you have trained in. Race day is not the time to try something new. The same applies to your diet 48 hours before a race.

So advice Tip #1 - Go with what you know!

Moving along... Tip #2 - Get familiar with the course. If you can get there and walk it, cycle it or jog it before hand... that will be a good visualization aid and help you know where you are on the course. Visualizing yourself cross the finish line is a good thing!

Tip #3 - Use the bathroom before race time... once and then again 10 minutes later. It cuts down on using the facilities during a race. Having run some pretty major races, I know that the bathroom lineups during a race can take up to 10 minutes per...

Tip #4 - Find out what they are serving along the course and train with it... some sponsors use Gatorade or PowerAde...some use bizarre stuff. The alternative is to bring your own. Nothing worse than finding out that Mystery Energy Drink doesn't sit well in your stomach at mile 8.

Tip #5 - Pack your bag and check it twice... did you miss anything (like shoes??? and don't laugh a physiotherapist friend of mine forgot her running shoes during a race and had to run in her beat up old street shoes) Shoes, shorts, shirt, bib, Ipod, Garmin, sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, gels\sportsbeans, chaffing protection, post race bag etc...

Tip #6 - Realistically evaluate your abilities and enter into the correct corral. As a runner nothing ticks me off more than tripping over that 3 hour finisher who's in the 1:45 corral. These folks slow themselves down and everyone around them. They can actually be dangerous. Be real!

Tip #7 - Govern your pace and don't get sucked into someone else's race. I go into most races knowing my splits and having my times written on a sleeve. For beginning runners it isn't uncommon to run really fast and burn out before the half way mark. By knowing the pace you need to be doing and sticking to it, you'll have a better outcome.

Tip #8 - The little wood sticks with goo on them are not for eating. Its Vaseline and its meant for chaffing. As someone who has volunteered at races, I can attest to the fact that someone figures its honey or some other gel to aid their performance... the looks on their faces is priceless after they figure it out.

Tip #8 - Drink a small bottle of water before race time (300-500 Ml.) May as well start the race hydrated... you might not see a water station for a couple of miles (I ran one race that didn't have a water station until mile 6)

Tip #9 - Sleep and be rested. Those last few days before race time? Your training is done. There is nothing you can do at this point in time that will improve your performance more than rest. If you need to blow off a little energy... keep it on the slow side and watch your step. A friend of mine broke a bone in his foot two days before Boston (which was a lucky thing as it turns out... another story and I'm sure you've heard it). #BostonStrong!!!

Tip #10 - Don't overthink it...just do it. I know too many people who get a really bad sleep the night before. Put it to bed and get some rest. You'll do great!

I could probably think of a couple dozen more to add to this.

Good Luck!
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned BodyGlide...I'd add that Gold Bond Friction Defense is a great alternative and somewhat less expensive. I buy it at the local drugstore.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Some of the advice seems odd. By the time you run the race, you should have already run that distance at least once. So, that why I say, do NOTHING different. Just do what you do in training. The only thing I agree with is barely run at all, not taper, just do a couple short 3 miles runs the week of the race to let your body rest from your training. Other than that, it's just another training session. Don't do anything different.

the day of my first half the furthest i had ever run was 10 miles. i did just fine with the 13 however i think being consistent with training had something to do with it.

OP: obviously the closer you get to race day the cooler it's going to get so my advice would be to get out and run in the early AM hopefully it will mimic the temps the day of the race. my first half was june 1st so i can't really offer advice with clothing (and i live in VA).

as for staying hydrated if you can find out what sports drink the race will have at the water stops try drinking that during your training. i wish i had done this on mine because whatever it was they served i hated and i had to choke the crap down which sorta threw me off for a second or two.

i didn't bother with body glide or anything like that. however i always trained in the clothes i knew i was going to run in right down to my socks.

let's see oh i brought a gatoraide gummy (in my pocket) with me and had that around mile 9. assuming your race has porta potties do not stop at the first few stops - you'll end up waiting in line. wait as long as you can (i stopped at mile 4; the line was not bad at all).

if you can run/ride the course do it or at least make sure you are training on the right terrain.

pace yourself since it's your first don't worry about time worry about finishing.

have fun. find the camera guy on the course.

most important do not ever wear something new the day of the race - nothing not even a hat. go the bathroom before the race starts.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    In terms of what to wear before the race, if it is cold, I will wear a garbage bag over me. That way, I can easily remove it before the race starts and I don't have to worry about any missing clothes. A lot of people remove their clothes along the street knowing the clothes will go to some charity but I don't enough clothing (and too cheap) to do that.