Exercise ideas for a heavy woman

Options

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    check out Fitness Blender on YouTube, they have a couple of strength workouts that I love. One is call Fatblaster, the other is Funtional Strength Training for Weightloss. Low impact, but they get my heart pumping. Good luck!
  • jenniferwren
    jenniferwren Posts: 189
    Options
    Swimming is perfect when you are heavy no impact on your joints x ditto re the walking x
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about the walking....I've walked off 50lbs.

I used to get very lightheaded and dizzy in the heat. I convinced myself I didn't like the heat. I found out that I was very dehydrated. Try upping your water intake. And push yourself but not too hard.

Good luck to you in your weigh tloss journey!!
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm excited for you that you want to make an effort! That's the first step! It seems really hard now but it will get easier, I promise.

I agree with everyone else who said Leslie Sansone, she is fantastic! It's fun and you really feel like you're doing something.

That said I don't think anything can beat walking outside. If you go in the evening or early morning it's a lot more comfortable.
  • dub73
    dub73 Posts: 70
    Options
    Try any Leslie Sansone DVDs "Walk Away the Pounds." I found those to be quite helpful.:flowerforyou:
  • tracy_getsfit
    tracy_getsfit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Walk away the pounds videos are amazing and a huge help
  • clbortiz
    clbortiz Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There is an exercise program on tv called "sit and be fit". It is geared toward elderly, but a lot of the exercises may help you with beginning to tone. See if it is on tv in your area or look it up online.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Walking is good, don't need anything strenuous. Make sure your eating is in check. You can't out-exercise a bad diet, and you CAN lose weight without exercise.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I also suggest walking but I also suggest going to a Swimming pool. Low impact, plenty of resistance. You don't even have to swim, just walk back and forth across the pool.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You need to moving - as mentioned, walking is a good starting point. Basically you need to be UP and moving. Bike is fine, but other than that you shouldn't do any exercises that involve sitting. When I train heavier clients, I make a point to do exercises that keep them moving - no sitting/lying exercises for the whole session.
  • beckaanne52
    Options
    I just started weight loss journey at 236lbs. I was excited to see that just going up and down my stairs in my house for three minutes burned 80 calories! Walking pushing my child in her stroller for half and hour this morning burned 133 calories. I am also just finding little ways to DO more... like lifting my baby up over my head while siting in my chair. I am not setting huge exercise goals because in the past I have been defeated. I just am trying to do a little more each day then I did before.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Swimming! When I read the title I also thought about cycling as a great option for large people, as it is also a no-impact exercise. How are your feet? Can you manage using an elliptical trainer? This is also a no-impact exercise, but if you have foot problems, it may not be very comfortable.

You may also try working in some circuit training. It is a good introduction to strength training and is an excellent full body workout. Once you feel stronger and more fit, you'll want to switch to more challenging forms of resistant training, but for now circuit training should be just the kind of workout you can see some fast progress with.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Take a hike...preferably 2-6 miles at a time
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Start simple.

Swimming is an excellent choice. You can join a YMCA where there are water aerobics classes held. Aqua Zumba is incredibly fun!

Walking.is another good one. Add small distance every day- (from mail box to mail box)

Weights- small hand weights while in a seated position.

Personal training at home- have someone come to the conforts of your home with a back ground in working with people in the same situation

Chair exercieses - There's lots on youtube to find.

But first and foremost- see your Dr. before starting any new exercise regimen. Get a physical, see what your body can handle. You may be more or less able than you have in mind.

Good luck to you OP!
  • JNoble64
    JNoble64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cannot afford the gym either and started walking.

Just do a short walk to begin with and build as you feel stronger. You can also add weights while you pedal. I found a station on the tv in the early am that has arm exercises and it brings my cardio up as I pedal. Just don't stop.

Good Luck and Keep On Moving!
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    In addition to everybody else's recommendations - I know they seem terribly cheesy, but classic Jane Fonda or Richard Simmons workout videos are fun and effective. You can do them in a small space, inside in A/C, they *always* offer low-impact or low-mobility options, and they get you moving. When I first started working out after my first pregnancy (carrying more weight than I had before, with balance and mobility issues), I dug out an old Jane Fonda video of my mom's and made great progress.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I love Leslie Sansone's videos! And you don't need a lot of room to do them. Don't be discouraged if you can't keep up with her at first. Just keep moving. You'll find that your endurance will increase pretty quickly.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Anything that gets you moving!!! Walking in the early morning is great, the videos suggested are great. If you don't want to walk that early, try a mall. Lots of malls have walking clubs that utilize the a/c as well as the roof in the winter!!

As for being dizzy, keep hydrated!!! You must drink 8+ glasses of water a day. More if you are sweating alot! Don't starve yourself either. You will get dizzy that way too.

Good luck and happy losing!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone as others have said, she is just wonderful, you can do the dvds in the privacy of your own home.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I started off at about the same weight and I started off with walking. The only problem I had was that because of my weight, my feet would HURT after a while. I had a step, the kind they use in step aerobics, and I would just step up and down while I was watching TV or sometimes just when I saw it there, I would step on for a few minutes. I added some 3 pound weights too and I would do arm exercises at the same time. It was a great start for me and my feet weren't screaming from it.