My journey from walking to Running

Options
So over the last year I have lost 79 lbs and started exercising more as I lost weight. I started with walking, just around a track at a normal pace as long as I could. When that got easier I worked my way to longer times till I was up to 5 miles. When that got easier I started adding some jogging down one side of the track every couple of laps and the easier it got the more laps I did it on.

When that was easier I stopped jogging and started sprinting down the one side, again as it got easier I did it on more laps. Then they started remodeling the school that the track I used was at and I had to find a new place to walk. I started using the treadmill at the gym but was too nervous to run on it because I have balance issues do to my multiple sclerosis. But I walked and upped my pace as far as I was comfortable with, for me that was 3.5 mph. I would do an hour a few times a week. When that got easier I started adding in inclines to my walk.

I was always striving to improve my workout, I didn't want to be stagnant. I missed the running so I worked out a road route in my neighborhood, it is about 1.7 miles, I would walk some run some. When I started it took me about 25-30 minutes. As I improved I got up to between 19 and 20 minutes regularly. Then this heat and humidity came :(.

My most prevelant symptom of MS is heat intolerance. If I over heat I get fuzzy brain, fatigue, dizziness, and leg weakness. So I had to give up my outdoor route, but I was determined not to lose my progress so I faced my fear and tried running on the treadmill

I started with just a few minutes in my normal walking routine and found I could do it :)! So I slowly added more.

Yesterday I ran a twelve minute mile without stopping! Then I walked at 3.5 mph for a couple minutes and ran another 12 min mile without stopping! Then just for good measure after another short walk I did it a third time! In total I did four miles in 54 minutes!

I am sharing this because I started at 300 lbs with MS, walking was exhausting most of the time for me. Now here I am at just under a year later at 214lbs and running a 12 minute mile.

Don't give up, don't compare your self to others, don't believe that exercise is only for fit people, just do your best and when that gets easier push yourself a little harder. You can do anything you set your mind to, just do it one step at a time, no matter how slow the progress improvement is improvement! :drinker:

Replies

• harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Truckergirl922
    Options
    Very inspiring! Thank you for sharing.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    We need a "like" button!
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thank you I just want people who maybe get discouraged seeing what already fit people are doing, to see that they can start at their own pace and build. They do not have to run a mile from day one. I think sometimes we forget you gotta crawl before you walk, and defeat ourselves by expecting to be great immediately.

Start slow at what ever pace is comfortable for you and build on that.

The only person you have to be better than is the one you were yesterday!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Inspiring post and kudos to you. Well done!
  • Truckergirl922
    Options

May I use this as my new motto? I will post it on my fridge so I see it every day.
  • CkepiJinx
    Options

May I use this as my new motto? I will post it on my fridge so I see it every day.

Absolutely I can't remember where I saw it but I loved it too!
  • teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    Options
    very inspiring !! i have been trying to become a "runner" and going about in very similar way ....i sometimes get down on myself for not being able to run for over 3 min without stopping (it seems like i've been at it for awhile with litle progrees) BUT i keep telling myself that in the mean time i'm interval training wich burns major calories LOL ....i vow to keep at it because i feel like superwoman when i'm done !
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing!
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Way to go and keep it up!
  • CkepiJinx
    Options
    very inspiring !! i have been trying to become a "runner" and going about in very similar way ....i sometimes get down on myself for not being able to run for over 3 min without stopping (it seems like i've been at it for awhile with litle progrees) BUT i keep telling myself that in the mean time i'm interval training wich burns major calories LOL ....i vow to keep at it because i feel like superwoman when i'm done !

You can do it! It does take time to build up and I also feel great when I am done. When it's time to bump up my length of time running, for me it worked better if I did it near the end of my run not the beginning. I think it is because I am more warmed up later in my workout and I say to myself " just this last push and you only have x # of minutes to walk and cool down, you can do that". If I try to push at the beginning I run out of steam near the end even though you would think its easier in the beginning when your less tired. Good luck!
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    That is great! I need to start running, but I am dealing with knee problems, but I am working to fix it!

Also, Truckergirl I LOVE your avatar! I'm a big fan of Anna Ignatieva, the artist who designed the Trick Fairies.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Couch to 5K (C25K) is a GREAT program to transition from walking to running. I am on Week 7 of the 8 week program and am doing great! It's a great pace and gradual build - both mentally and physically. There are lots of smart phone apps to help you through the program.
  • jacz83
    jacz83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Awesome! This makes me want to build back up to running again! Making my confidence come back! :happy:

Great job and keep sharing your story!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    We need a "like" button!

facebook-symbol-4.png