Frustrated...

Options
Hey guys. So I have been doing MFP for 4 weeks today. I have lost only 6 lbs!! I have been working out hardcore at least 4-5 days a week doing Spinning (RPM) and Body Pump at my gym. Burning anywhere from 500-900 calories when I go to the gym. What is the problem? I am hoping that it is muscle gain? I mean, my body feels better and I don't feel as bloated....but I just like to see results immediately! I have been working so hard and it is just a downer when the scale doesn't move...I have been measuring myself. I believe I have lost inches in my hips an thighs. I hope I am eating enough. Can anyone give me some insight on this?

Replies

• astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You're doing just fine. You're losing just over a pound a week which is a perfectly healthy rate. Keep up the good work!
  • Lisatru62
    Options
    Since you are working out so much you are probably replacing fat with muscle. Since muscle weighs more than fat you may not show the type of weight loss you wish. Everyone wants to see the scale go down, myself included, but sometimes you loss nothing for a week yet you stuck to your plan. I say keep up the good work and eventually you will be rewarded with both a fit body and a weight you want.
  • SexiiDivaDee
    SexiiDivaDee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You're prolly replacing the fat with muscle. Cut back on your workout regimen for maybe a week or two and focus really hard on your diet and see if there are any changes. I went through the same thing for a few months, I changed my workout routine from hardcore cardio to more basic like walking and using the elliptical for 30 mins 3x a week and really focused on eating something every 3 hrs and boom the weight started pouring off. Also very important to eat atleast half the calories you burned in the gym immediately after your workout. My dr gave me that tip and its been soo helpful with keeping up my metabolism! Hope this helps!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You are most likely not burning as many exercise calories as you think during exercise, which is one of the reasons why you may have unrealistic expectations.

Other than that, sounds like you are doing just fine.
  • tater8589
    Options
    Since you are working out so much you are probably replacing fat with muscle. Since muscle weighs more than fat you may not show the type of weight loss you wish. Everyone wants to see the scale go down, myself included, but sometimes you loss nothing for a week yet you stuck to your plan. I say keep up the good work and eventually you will be rewarded with both a fit body and a weight you want.

I agree, also you may take your measurements and go off of that instead of weight if you think you may be gaining muscle. And/or get one of the 'fancy' scales that measures percentages.
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    when you say 500-900 calories, are you wearing an HRM or just going by the estimate of the machine?

are you eating all your exercise calories?
  • greenbaypack66
    Options
    How much are you eating? How many calories? Good calories/Bad calories? How are you figuring out your calorie burn? Most people overestimate what they are burning and underestimate what they are eating. I assume you're logging everything you put into your mouth on MFP? Which is a great thing. I'd love to lose 6+ lbs in 4 weeks... I tend to lose very slow so I'd surely be happy with that, especially if I was losing inches as well.

I love my gowear fit (now Body Media) which is like the body bugg. Yea it's expensive but well worth the money IMO because you can see what you are burning in a day without having to guess at it and adjust your calories as needed. I make sure I have a 1000 calorie deficit (or more) on most days because I'm shooting for a 2lb loss each week. Each pound requires a deficit of 3500 calories per week - 2lbs would obviously be a deficit of 7000 calories.

It may be easier said than done... but try not to "get frustrated" because you "only" lost 6+lbs. Remember there are people who would LOVE to have that loss. And besides... the scale is not the be all and end all of weight loss. If you feel better, your clothes are fitting better... those are the true results, not what you see on the scale. Heck I can weigh myself one day and the next be 5lbs heavier... stupid water retention, lol.

Good luck!
    C
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? How many calories? Good calories/Bad calories? How are you figuring out your calorie burn? Most people overestimate what they are burning and underestimate what they are eating. I assume you're logging everything you put into your mouth on MFP? Which is a great thing. I'd love to lose 6+ lbs in 4 weeks... I tend to lose very slow so I'd surely be happy with that, especially if I was losing inches as well.

I love my gowear fit (now Body Media) which is like the body bugg. Yea it's expensive but well worth the money IMO because you can see what you are burning in a day without having to guess at it and adjust your calories as needed. I make sure I have a 1000 calorie deficit (or more) on most days because I'm shooting for a 2lb loss each week. Each pound requires a deficit of 3500 calories per week - 2lbs would obviously be a deficit of 7000 calories.

It may be easier said than done... but try not to "get frustrated" because you "only" lost 6+lbs. Remember there are people who would LOVE to have that loss. And besides... the scale is not the be all and end all of weight loss. If you feel better, your clothes are fitting better... those are the true results, not what you see on the scale. Heck I can weigh myself one day and the next be 5lbs heavier... stupid water retention, lol.

Good luck!
    C

I second this!

I also use a GWF and would highly recommend it. If you're using gym machines or MFP to estimate exercise calories, you're probably overestimating. If you don't eat at least some of your exercise calories, then your body may be resistant to losing weight because you aren't eating *enough*. Quality of calories consumed really does matter - make sure you're not consuming too much sodium, and make sure you drink enough water. All of these things can make a difference.
  • lmburi
    Options
    I agree with everyone, though I also wonder if you have that much weight to lose. If you have less weight to lose, then you aren't going to lose it as quickly. As you get closer to your goal weight, your body will probably lose weight more and more slowly.
  • osmium
    osmium Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I found the the calories the gym machines said I'd burned where massive over estimates compared to my HRM. I had the same issue with lots of the MFP exercise estimates. Could this be part of your problem? Also 1 lb a week is a nice sustainable rate :)