Black Bean Brownies!

Options

Replies

• pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    So I found this recipe for black bean brownies and decided to try making som today. They are so good! And you can't even tell they have beans in them. I made some changes from the recipe below. I used sugar substitute (Diabeti Sweet) instead of sugar and applesauce instead of vegetable oil. I also left out the coffee and the chocolate chips. I also added two scoops of chocolate protein powder to boost the protein content a little. I think next time I may add a bit of baking powder to give them a more cake-like texture, but they were really rich and fudgey. Maybe I'll also add some nuts on top next time. Going to have one for dessert tonight with a squirt of fat free Rediwhip and some sugar free chocolate syrup! Yummy.

Ingredients
    1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    3 eggs
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1/4 cup cocoa powder
    1 pinch salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
    1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (optional)

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish.
    Combine the black beans, eggs, oil, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, sugar, and instant coffee in a blender; blend until smooth; pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the mixture.
    Bake in the preheated oven until the top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 30 minutes.

Makes 16 servings
    Calories: 126 | Total Fat: 5.3g | Cholesterol: 40mg

I really, really want to try this! A question, though--where did the nutrition facts come from? I put this recipe into 4 different online analyzers (using applesauce instead of oil in the ingredient list) and I got 4 different counts! They ranged from a high of 176 to a low of 97! That's a really big difference. I used caloriecount (highest at 176), sparkpeople, a site called fitwatch (this was the lowest) and a Canadian site. Sparkpeople and the Canadian site were close to the 126 you have--I think one was 111 and the other was 119.

Does anyone know which site is the most accurate? I love to try new recipes but I also want to stay within my calories!

Thanks.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    So I found this recipe for black bean brownies and decided to try making som today. They are so good! And you can't even tell they have beans in them. I made some changes from the recipe below. I used sugar substitute (Diabeti Sweet) instead of sugar and applesauce instead of vegetable oil. I also left out the coffee and the chocolate chips. I also added two scoops of chocolate protein powder to boost the protein content a little. I think next time I may add a bit of baking powder to give them a more cake-like texture, but they were really rich and fudgey. Maybe I'll also add some nuts on top next time. Going to have one for dessert tonight with a squirt of fat free Rediwhip and some sugar free chocolate syrup! Yummy.

Ingredients
    1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    3 eggs
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1/4 cup cocoa powder
    1 pinch salt
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
    1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (optional)

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish.
    Combine the black beans, eggs, oil, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, sugar, and instant coffee in a blender; blend until smooth; pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the mixture.
    Bake in the preheated oven until the top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 30 minutes.

Makes 16 servings
    Calories: 126 | Total Fat: 5.3g | Cholesterol: 40mg

The nutritional info. Is that for the way you made them (no sugar, no choc chips and no oil) or is that the nutritional value for the said receipe? I am attempting them while we speak but I had to do real sugar and I added the choc chips but I did the applesauce and added the baking powder. Still in the oven. The mixture was very runny..
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I made a similar kind today with white beans, but I used brown sugar. They were fantastic, and full of protein!
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I need to try this!!!
  • pmjsmom
    Options
    The nutritional info. Is that for the way you made them (no sugar, no choc chips and no oil) or is that the nutritional value for the said receipe? I am attempting them while we speak but I had to do real sugar and I added the choc chips but I did the applesauce and added the baking powder. Still in the oven. The mixture was very runny..

I just made some using applesauce instead of oil but using the sugar and choc. chips and when I used a recipe analyzer it came out as 119 calories, Total fat 3g, and cholesterol 41mg.
    I'll be putting it into the database soon because they are pretty good, though next time I think I'll add more cocoa.

Edited to say--They are in the database now as HomeMade-Black Bean Brownies. There are others there but these are the ones from this particular recipe!
  • pmjsmom
    Options
    :smile: After the brownies cooled all they way thay tasted much more chocolatey (is that even a word?:laugh: )

In fact, I need to make more because my son took them to work with him to see if his coworkers could tell what they were made of!:laugh:

My plan was to wrap them individually and keep them in the freezer for a treat! :smile:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    bumping back to my current topics list because i still have not gotten around to trying these yet but want to.
  • LaSirena29
    Options
    I make a recipe that doesn't call for oil. I usually make it when my bananas have gotten to the point where they are going to have to be thrown away in another day or so. That way the mash up easily and are sweet enough to leave the sugar out. The brownies are more fudgey than cakey.

Black Bean Brownies
    15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 whole bananas
    ⅓ cup agave nectar
    ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
    1 tbsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    ¼ cup raw sugar (optional-use if your bananas aren't very ripe)
    ¼ cup instant oats

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease anf 8x8" pan and set aside. Combine all ingredients, except oats, in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, scrapping sides as needed. Stir in the oats and pour batter into the pan. Bake approx 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool before slicing.

Cut into 9 squares (about 127 calories per square)

If you find the brownies are too soft or too fudgey for your taste, add another 1/4 cup oats or flour.

No one has ever know there were black beans in them, unless I told them.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Here's another version I've had - it's fantastic. I like this recipe because it has no processed sugar, uses olive oil instead of vegetable oil, and uses dark cocoa instead of milk chocolate chips. (Dark chocolate is supposed to be a little bit better for you.)

(From "Plan-D: The Amazing Anti-Diet That Will Change Your Life Forever")

BLACK BEAN FUDGE CAKES

Ingredients:
    Olive Oil Cooking Spray
    1 oz. dark organic chocolate (70% cocoa or greater)
    1 1/2 C soft-cooked black beans, rinsed and drained (My mom used canned beans, rinsed well - it worked fine)
    2 eggs
    1 egg white
    2 TBS olive oil
    1/4 heaped C unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 TSP baking powder
    1 TSP pure vanilla extract
    1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
    1/2 C raw organic honey
    1/4 to 1/2 C unsalted walnuts, chopped
    Instructions:
    ONE Preheat over to 350 deg.; mist 8 individual ramekins or one 8" square baking dish with cooking spray.
    TWO Melt dark chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat with 1 TBSP of water mixed in.
    THREE Combine melted chocolate, beans, eggs, egg white, oil, cocoa powder, baking powder, vanilla, applesauce and honey in a food processor; process until smooth. Stir in walnuts and pour mixture into prepared ramekins or baking dish.
    FOUR Bake in preheated oven until the tops are dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides, about 20 minutes for ramekins and 30 minutes for baking dish. Garnish each piece with a dollop of nonfat Greek-style yogurt, if desired.
    Nutrients per serving: Calories: 230, Total Fat: 12g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Carbs: 28g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 19g, Protein: 5g, Sodium: 120mg, Cholesterol: 45mg
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    isnt this RoccoDiSpiritos reciepe........He was on Dr Oz, and also on the Good Morning Amercia show with this reciepe

Sadly, the reviews on this are very low and mediocre................

Hopefuly yours turned out better.........

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=9978369

Rocco's Low-Cal Brownies
    The Secret Ingredient Makes This Recipe Low-Cal!
    Print Full Page|3x5|4x6Font Size: Share:EmailMoreFarkTechnoratiGoogleLiveMy SpaceNewsvineRedditDeliciousMixxYahooChef Rocco DiSpirito prepares healthy home-style treats.From the kitchen of Rocco DiSpirito
    |
    27 Comments
    Servings: Over 8
    Difficulty: Easy
    Cook Time: 1-30 min
    "Yes, you are reading the ingredients list correctly: there are black beans in these brownies. You really have to taste the brownies to believe them. The beans add moisture and texture—not to mention fiber and protein. These brownies have such a great fudgy texture because the cocoa powder, and just a little espresso powder, are the only dry ingredients (besides a bit of Truvia). For an extra jolt of chocolate flavor and about 15 more calories, stir ¼ cup dark chocolate–covered cacao nibs (such as Kopali Organics) into the batter just before pouring it into the pan. These brownies are even better the next day."

-Rocco DiSpirito, "Now Eat This!"

Ingredients
    Nonstick cooking spray
    1½ cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon espresso powder
    ¾ cup egg substitute
    2 tablespoons low-calorie sugar-free chocolate syrup, such as Walden Farms
    2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream, such as Breakstone's
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
    24 packets (84 g) Truvia or 8 tablespoons granulated Splenda

Cooking Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8×8-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.

Combine the beans, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and egg substitute in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl halfway through.

Add the chocolate syrup, sour cream, butter, Truvia, and vanilla. Process until all of the ingredients are combined, about 1 minute.

Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, turning the dish halfway through the baking time. A toothpick inserted in the center will come out with soft batter clinging to it.

Let the brownies cool completely in the baking dish on a wire rack. Then cut into 12 squares and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.

NOW YOU CAN EAT THIS!

Before After

Fat 70g 1.6g

Calories 1500 53

Protein: 4g | Carbohydrates: 8g | Cholesterol: 4mg

Fiber: 3g| Sodium: 94mg

Food styled by Karen Pickus.

Recipe Summary
    Main Ingredients: black beans, cocoa powder, espresso powder

Course: Dessert

Print Full Page|3x5|4x6Font Size: Share:EmailMoreFarkTechnoratiGoogleLiveMy SpaceNewsvineRedditDeliciousMixxYahoo
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    so weird that after I bump this 8 months after saving it originally to my topics, the same day I see an article in our little 5 page town newspaper with a black bean dessert in it!
  • MrsVeg
    Options
    BUMP! I'm soooo going to try this tomorrow...hmmmm maybe use stevia and some sort of egg replacement to make it vegan :happy:
  • desp8housewife
    desp8housewife Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I used to have a nutritionist who told me to make brownies just like that... with the black beans pureed and brownie mix... the beans substitute for the egg and oil and are supposed to be alot healthier!!! She said none of her husbands friends could tell the difference..... I need to try it.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've tried this recipe. I wouldn't say delicious. But, I'm not one who wants to go messing with my chocolate. So, my review is that they're ok, but I'd rather have a smaller real brownie.
  • merguson
    merguson Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have made black bean brownies before using far fewer ingredients...don't know how they'd compare to yours, but they turned out pretty tasty.

Puree 15 oz can of black beans in sauce
    Mix with one box brownie mix

Bake as directed.

They smell a bit beany when they first come out of the oven, but after they cool, you can't tell one bit. I took them to work and nobody knew they weren't normal brownies.

My neighbour made these and brought some over yesterday and they were really good! Any way I can sneak some vegetables into my son's diet, I will! lol
  • nikiswimr
    nikiswimr Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have to try these!
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    I finally got around to making these today! You really can't tell there are beans in them - I hate beans and I like these. They are a little weird tasting but I think that is using cocoa to make them - I usually make box mixes - the box with the beans in it is my next project maybe next weekend.

The texture is a bit weird. It's not cakey for sure. It's also not quite fudgy - it's like a flakey kind of fudgy almost. Like, you'd think it would be that thick Little Debbie brownie fudgyness when you bite in but it's more like crumbly fudgy like... i can't explain it. If I make them again I might leave them in a little longer to get a little crispier.

I recommend at least trying them though!

I used oil cuz I am out of applesauce and I put nuts on top. No chips and no coffee.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    I figured out what the texture is like - mashed potatoes. It's moist, but the texture of somewhat dry mashed potatoes - firm but squishy and somewhat softly crumbly.
  • chrissygilman23
    Options
    Can you tell me how many calories they're. Thanks chrissy.gilman23
  • Depplover28
    Options
    Ooh, I'm going to have to try this :]