Walking around the office barefoot

Options

Replies

• Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Eh, it doesn't bother me, unless the person has bad foot odor.

A friend of mine at work does this though, and she will sit cross-legged in her seat, or slouch in her seat while on her phone....then complains that no one takes her seriously. Myself and a few others have told her that if she wants to be taken seriously and advance in her career, then she needs to be more professional, not a college student.

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.

That's funny to be so put off by how someone sits in their seat LOL. Maybe if a client comes in its nice to be in a good posture to face them attentively but otherwise unless you ruin the furniture who cares?

I ask because I sit all sorts of ways at work and NOBODY sees me...... I've never gotten commented on that and my professionalism is still there.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    - so, what she wears (or not) is a clear indicator of what she has inside herself to advance in her career? :noway:

it shouldn't matter.

Unfortunately in Corporate America it is. If someone is looking to climb the ladder then they had better be dressing and playing the part. If they're not then they won't be considered "corporate" material. It's all about politics.

Understood. I don't think I want what's at the top of the ladder so I'll just bumble around at the bottom in my bare feet - suits me and I think I will be healthier and happier for it!

edit: Just an afterthought - when you actually get to the top of the ladder and get your own office, I guess you can kick off your shoes and go barefoot then? Managers, eh!
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    That would be nice...having my own office to do what I want. I work for the government and all my levels of management are very professional, even on "jean day" they wear business. Where I work, we never know if we will be called in to brief a General or an SES(civilian at a General Officer level).

In fact I am preparing to brief a General next week about disposing $10M worth of equipment. yay..
  • ketchupqueen
    Options
    They're feet... 99.99% of humans are born with two of them.

Get over it.

THIS

BTW Female feet are BEAUTIFUL

+1

Why do you care so much about other people's feet??? Germs are EVERYWHERE.

Well since you quoted me, please elaborate on how you arrived at that conclusion. I merely agreed with a statement posted by someone else. The women I know look after their feet and they look great. At no point did I endorse splashing around in a stranger's urine.

Clearly many of you have severe footphobia ;)

I was agreeing with you...sorry I wasn't clear that was directed to the OP! :flowerforyou:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    When did it every become OKAY to be unprofessional?! This is work. Put on your shoes and be a grownup. It is not your home.

This
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I hate shoes and will go barefoot whenever and wherever I can get away with it. Feet are no more gross than hands. Do you think feet are gross when you're at the beach or the pool? They don't change physiologically when they're anywhere else. It's funny what the mind can do-- create issues where there really aren't any. You poor people.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I hate the high heeled clomping that I hear nfrom the women in my office everyday. Its like the Budweiser team of Clydsdales.
    However, this is worse!
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I work in a medium size "corporate" office. In the summer months there seems to be an epidemic of people walking around the office without shoes. Not only around the office, but also to the bathroom and back. I can't stand it !! I hate feet. I have gone to my supservisor but she is one of the offending people.

What would you do? Am I overreacting? Do people in your office do the same thing?

Well not even OSHA regulates footwear in the workplace unless it relates to safety.

http://www.barefooters.org/osha.html

It would pretty much be up to the organization that you work for. Are there any local policies on this as far as a dress code in an employee handbook or something?
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I slip my shoes off under the desk, my feet tend to swell when I walk to work in the heat. I always put them back on before I go walking around though.

Same here too.
  • therainandthunder
    Options
    Not for walking around but if your feet hurt from your shoes then just take them off when you're seated and wear them back on when you get up. Someone with a fungal infection could be walking around the office and someone else might get it. http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/fungal-infections-skin
  • kaihunter45
    kaihunter45 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I work for the Commonwealth of PA and during my first job with them I was written up because one day my feet were swelling so I took off my shoes and got up and walked to the file cabinets to get a file. Now 13 years later I work in a department where everyone walks around in stocking feet all the time and while it doesn't bother me (and we do not work with the public), I can't get over that first experience so I keep my shoes on.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find nothing gross about feet. But whether it is appropriate or not to go barefoot depends entirely upon the environment.

An office where one has a business dress code, bare feet are probably a bad idea unless it's just at your desk. In a more laid back environment, it could be no problem. I've worked in both types of places.

Where I am now, the female staff will go around barefoot if there are no customers in the place, but definitely not up to the warehouse or lumber yard. But it's not uncommon to have customers come in barefoot.

~edited to add~ I don't really like wearing shoes, so mine are off at any opportunity.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It's unprofessional, but it's not gross. They're feet, they evolved to walk on dirt long before humans had enough intelligence to make and wear shoes. The concern about bacteria is overblown.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I work from home, I dont wear shoes. Heck, half the time I dont wear clothes LOL
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    definately a no no the only places you should walk barefoot are in your own place or on the sand
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You can't teach class, it's either you have it or you don't. Some people are retarded. I would step on there feet with my shoes to teach them a lesson.

Pot, meet kettle.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Eh, it doesn't bother me, unless the person has bad foot odor.

A friend of mine at work does this though, and she will sit cross-legged in her seat, or slouch in her seat while on her phone....then complains that no one takes her seriously. Myself and a few others have told her that if she wants to be taken seriously and advance in her career, then she needs to be more professional, not a college student.

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.

My husband's boss told him that, once. My husband's response?

"Does that mean I can come in wearing a robe and carrying a lightsaber?"
  • PeanutButterLuver
    Options
    Disgusting!

I wear my stilettos all day.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I only ever when I was on night shift would slip my shoes off UNDER my desk but as soon as I got up I would put them back on. It's gross & an occ health & safety hazard. What if you step on something, stub your toe, have something dropped on etc. etc.