Being the only fatty in the gym class...

Options

Replies

• Naywifey07
    Naywifey07 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I felt this way a while ago when I was taking up Zumba classes.... I just went went the flo and kept going......
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I was one of the biggest/unfit person in my Thursday night Abs/Core Strength class. Over time many people have come up to me and told me how I motivated them. (What? The fat kid motivating the fit people? What?) Many of them were my motivation for sticking with my program. I wanted to be like them... yet I was inspiring them.

Keep at it! You never know who you are inspiring by coming and sweating it out.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    People know I kill at at my gym- constantly. ti's what I'm known for really. But at my own thing.... and I recently started spinning...the first 5 minutes of a spin class I thought I was going to die- I couldn't even get UP off the seat with out holding on to the handles for dear life- and once I was up I was good for like 5 seconds and my thighs gave out.

You know what's sucks as bad as being the fat kid in class WHOSE TRYING!? Being the ultra fit one who can't keep up and you KNOW people are looking at you judging you.

It's awkward as hell.

I personally LOVE seeing big girls come in there and kill it. they are trying- they are taking steps to improve their life. Get in there and kill it. It''ll get better. The steps will get easier- the flow will be more natural and you'll be able to get way more out of the workout.

I can tell you for certain- the more self-conscious you are about it- the less you are going to get out of the class. So don't hamper yourself- let it go shake wobble roll whatever it takes. The more you put in- the more you get back!!!

Freaking Love this!!!!! I am one of those BIG GIRLS who kill it every single time. You are so right.
  • earvizu92
    earvizu92 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Earbuds with your favorite tunes, a cute sweat towel, water bottle and oh " LOTS OF SWEAT" makes for a great workout!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing else should matter my friend.......:flowerforyou:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    "what other people think of you, is none of your business"
  • QuirkyD
    QuirkyD Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Most people only think about themselves, which is actually what you are doing. Those words are yours and they are not very nice. Try being more compassionate to yourself!! Guaranteed that it is very unlikely that people are thinking of you like that! I have lots of skinny friends and they don't think that way.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've felt that way lots of times. I'm large and I'm very self-conscious. But read this blog entry, it's really awesome...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BigPlanBigCrash/view/hey-fat-girl-557376
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Haterade doesn't rain in the gym. There will undoubtedly be a few sour apples who didn't want to be reminded that they could've done that too, but by definition said sour apples aren't there. In your class, people there are probably impressed that you show up because they realize you're doing twice the workout they are.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    All year I've been the fat one in classes, the fat one running, the fat one lifting.

THE FAT ONE KICKING *kitten*!!!

That's how I see it now. Try not to put too much thought into it. You're mind loves playing tricks on you.
    Smile & have some fun in those classes!!
    :happy:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Freaking Love this!!!!! I am one of those BIG GIRLS who kill it every single time. You are so right.
    That's awesome- I'm stoked for you. And I totally mean it- if your truly killing it- You get NOTHING but respect from me that's for sure. I am at my gym 20+ hours a week- I work out as well as WORK THERE. The people who come in and kill it- we SEE YOU. WE SEE YOU WERKING.

I know the body builders- the super dedicated ones- they SEE IT TOO. I have had people walk up to me while I was standing there- and point YOU OUT... that girl- she KILLS IT.... she busts her *kitten* every time- it's AWESOME.

Just come in and do your thing- no one is going to think less of you for trying tmake yourself a better person.

All year I've been the fat one in classes, the fat one running, the fat one lifting.

THE FAT ONE KICKING *kitten*!!!

That's how I see it now. Try not to put too much thought into it. You're mind loves playing tricks on you.
    Smile & have some fun in those classes!!
    happy

again- this is awesome. we see you working- we don'd judge you for it- far from it- we think it's great.

Seriously.

The take away here ladies (and gentlemen!!)

No really. Anyone who DOES THINK LESS OF YOU for not being the same size... guess what- THEIR OPINION ISN'T WORTH YOUR TIME. YOU DO"NT WANT TO BE FRIENDS WITH THEM- YOU DON"T WANT TO VALUE THEIR OPINION. IT's shallow -THEY are shallow.

NO ONE WORTH YOUR TIME, NO ONE WHOSE OPINION YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT- WILL THINK LESS OF YOU FOR TRYING TO BE A BETTER PERSON. so go on- take all you and all your fabulousness- and go kick *kitten*.
  • Idreamoflean
    Options
    You know what they say, anyone who looks cute at the end of a workout hasn't worked hard enough so stick at it and don't worry about anyone else!:happy:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You have the same right to be there that everyone else does. Just do your best, and enjoy getting fit and healthy.
  • Redbug78
    Redbug78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Trust me, people are more impressed that you're out there than anything. I've come to realize that at most gym classes people spend 90% of their time trying to make sure that they look their best while doing the exercises, and 10% actually listening to the class instructor, they don't have any focus left to give those around them more than a passing thought!

I agree whole heartedly! I know when I am in those classes I'm not thinking about anyone else in the class but me. I am thinking about doing it right and too busy following along with the instructor to pay attention to anyone else!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You're not doing this for them. This is for you.
    Everyone there is a work in progress on the same mission.
    Anyways, don't let the gym intimidate you. Good luck!
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    So...story time. There was this lady at the YMCA I go to that I'd always look at and say to myself "I wish my body could look like that" - never did talk to her but always noticed her around - then one day they put up some new of their "My Y Story" series and one of them was hers. She used to be big, had health problems and finally realized she needed to change. Some weeks later I happened to strike up a conversation with her - she told me she'd been about 250 lbs and couldn't even walk up the stairs without stopping to rest. Through two years of hard work and dedication she transformed her body into a 135 pound picture of health.

That's when I realized: "My body CAN look like that!" Because she started out pretty close to where I did.

So when you see those people in your classes try to feel motivated because many of them may have started exactly where you did. :)
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I take a lot of classes and there are one or two bigger ladies that come to a number of them. I've never paid attention to them more than anyone else. The only people who ever really catch my eye are:

1. girls who are wearing something I want to wear.. where did they get it? Was it expensive? (I swear I have an exercise clothing addiction)

2. Girls who are super ripped. I always look to see which weights they choose for the exercises

Other than that, I'm too busy trying not to splash the people around me with my sweat. Keep going to classes!!! Nobody is focusing on you but yourself!

Unless you're wearing something really really cute or different.. then there is probably somebody in there wondering where you got it.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I always feel that way when I go into my ballet class at the ballet school (most of the girls there are in high school, so in a way I'm teaching them a lesson in why not to look like me) I know I will feel like that when I go into my class at BGSU, but eventually I have to learn that it's the voice in my head that told me to be fat once and that it must be beaten into submission into a corner. :laugh:

Now, just do what you do and know that one day you will get there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    One of the women I go to gym with started a year ago and has lost 100lbs. She's now one of the smaller people at the gym. Hopefully seeing people like her and myself on the 'wall of awesome' at our gym will be encouraging to other people to see they can do the same.

Become someone's role model. Don't be afraid. =)
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses so this may have been said, but for me working out around the people that are in shape and healthy actually make me push myself harder so I don't look lazy. :) just saying...

Good luck, and I don't think as many people judge us in the gym as our mind thinks they do.
  • ndoll99
    ndoll99 Posts: 3
    Options
    im terrified to step foot in a gym, let alone actualy go to a class at one!! good for you and your an inspiration to me!!