How much is too much?!

Options
I eat a lot of fruit throughout my day. I notice a lot of it, like apples and bananas have many calories. However, besides calories they have a lot of sugar.

Is eating a lot of fruit really bad for me?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    As long as you're logging the fruit and staying within your calorie goal you'll be fine.
  • LuvORR
    LuvORR Posts: 36
    Options
    As long as you're logging the fruit and staying within your calorie goal you'll be fine.

So you don't think the amount of sugar will ultimately affect my diet? Or health I should say-

I make sure to stay below my calories, its my sugar amount that I always exceed.
  • khannickwechanged
    khannickwechanged Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't pay any attention to my sugar intake anymore, simply because 99% of all the sugar I consume is from fruit and that's not bad. I changed my settings to track my fiber instead. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit throughout my day. I notice a lot of it, like apples and bananas have many calories. However, besides calories they have a lot of sugar.

Is eating a lot of fruit really bad for me?

The calories are from fructose.

Is eating a lot of fruit bad for you?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I don't pay any attention to my sugar intake anymore, simply because 99% of all the sugar I consume is from fruit and that's not bad. I changed my settings to track my fiber instead. :)

Lol, it's all in context. If you're saying that sugar from fruit is good, or any better than other sources, and sugar from everything else is bad, then you are most definitely wrong...
  • _AC3_
    _AC3_ Posts: 16
    Options
    Haha, the "nature's candy" concern. Worry about real candy. ;) No one is getting fat because of fruits and veggies. Log them of course, but when when factor in volumetrics, nothing beats fruits and veggies, you'd be painfully full before you starting making significant calorie impacts. (unless you're drizzling them in honey, soaking them in sugar water, etc., etc.)
  • khannickwechanged
    khannickwechanged Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Lol, it's all in context. If you're saying that sugar from fruit is good, or any better than other sources, and sugar from everything else is bad, then you are most definitely wrong...

Not necessarily better, but your body breaks it down differently and I'd prefer to be eating as much fruit as I want and not tracking the sugar content than eating as much processed sugar as I want.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Unless you've had a doctor bother to tell you that you need to mind your carbs for medical reasons or suspect that one would have good reason to, you're probably fine.
  • notdebby
    notdebby Posts: 58
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit too. I've actually taken my food logs from here in for my doctor to look over. He didn't say a word about the amount of fruit I eat. He was, at the time, more concerned that I wasn't getting enough fat so... I'm going to assume it's not an issue particularly if you exercise so that you can metabolize the sugar better.
  • LuvORR
    LuvORR Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice!
  • zrjp9
    zrjp9 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Dont worry too much about your natural sugars (fruit, honey, whole grains, etc.) Look out for added sugars! Try to stay away from any added sugars.
  • zrjp9
    zrjp9 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Oh another tip, try to limit fruit after about 2-3 pm. I do fruit during breakfast, lunch, and early snacks, but I try to avoid after 3pm
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Not necessarily better, but your body breaks it down differently and I'd prefer to be eating as much fruit as I want and not tracking the sugar content than eating as much processed sugar as I want.

Sugar in fruit is fructose....

Most processed sweets use fructose....
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I think the dangers of eating fruits are blood sugar spikes and dips. You get instant but short-lasting satiety. So you could potentially end up eating too much by not getting enough nutrition from other macros.

However, if your body regulates blood sugar normally and you aren't diabetic, pre-diabetic, etc, then heck no girl get your chiquita banana on.
    262.jpg
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Dont worry too much about your natural sugars (fruit, honey, whole grains, etc.) Look out for added sugars! Try to stay away from any added sugars.

Unless you have a fructose intolerance. ^_^ Honey, molasses, apples, pears, fructan grains (wheat, rye, barley, etc.) and many, many more are bad for fructose intolerance suffers.