Worried and frustrated

Options
Hello.
I just started using this site yesterday and I am following the 1200cal/day plan.
Something that worries me is that my net calories at the end of today is almost 900cal.
I am over the sugar limit for today. I don't want to eat anymore for today because it is almost 10pm.
Should I increase my intake from tomorow?
Can anyone suggest me what I should eat more?
By the way, I am a lacto vegetarian.
Thank you in advance. :)

Replies

• amizen
    amizen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would suggest chowing down on some veggies if you don't want too much more sugar, but you might have to snack a lot. Or nuts or avocados...how did you go over your sugar and still be short so many calories?

I just started this too--it is interesting to see where and when I go over or stay under (at least in the last week). I am an eggs/dairy vegetarian and today I went over my protein (if you'd believe it) and that is ok by me. :) I try to eat 5-6 times a day (in smaller amounts) and that keeps me on track.
  • Dawn_2013
    Options
    What about quinoa? It is full of protein, easy to make, you can add veggies, and flavour/sauces if you like (try steaming it with fresh rosemary...YUM!) and a cup is a load of calories, but very filling! You dont want to eat too little, or weight loss will stall to nothing...not good!

Of course a handful of nuts is full of calories (the good kind) and I bet if you google vegan, you will come up with great options!!:flowerforyou:
  • mpark90
    Options
    For today morning, I had a plain yorgurt with strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.
    For snacks I had, raspberries, strawberries, and cucumbers.
    For Lunch I had two tofu-bean-salad wraps.
    For Dinner I had veg.chilli.

May be I should eat more nuts and less berries.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Everyone says the sugar setting is way to low on this site. I've never bothered to turn that setting on because I don't eat sugar, except in fruit.

But you should definitely eat your remaining 300 calories.

Can you eat peanut butter? I don't really know what a lacto vegetarian is so sorry if that's a dumb question. If you can eat peanut butter. Smash up a banana and peanut butter and there's 300 hundred calories. Better yet, throw it in the freezer for an hour and you'll have banana peanut butter ice cream. Food is fuel and you need at least 1200cal of fuel a day.

I hope others with more experience with the sugar setting chime in also. Good luck reaching your goal and welcome to MFP.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Wow 1200 cal/day is a big step for a long distance weight loss. When I set the goals on my fitness pal i just put my first goal of getting to 135. Once I get to that goal weight I will change to my next goal weight of 130. This allowed my to eat more calories and still take a pound off a week. Doing a drastic cut in calories at the beginning and being a vegetarian can set your self up for failure. Be sure to get your protein like soy, nuts, beans, etc. Its important to get your protein to use as fuel for for your body so it has something to metabolize when you exercise. That way you can "burn" those calories and fat and still have energy. It never hurts to check with your local dietitian or nutritionist.
  • mpark90
    Options
    Thank you for letting me know about the sugar setting and the nice homemade icecream.
  • mpark90
    Options
    I rarely ate beef or pork before the diet because I get stomachache easily after eating them.
    But, thank you for your advice on protein and seeing a nutritionist. :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    so since your net calories are 900 I assume you aren't eating your exercise calories. looking at your photo , you don't seem to be obese, course I don't know your numbers, but again you don't seem to be, so I would ask what your goal deficit is and what your maintenance calories are?
  • mpark90
    Options
    "Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 1,990 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,200 calories/ day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 790 calories"
    These are the information. I am 175.8lbs and 5'6.
    On BMI calculator, it says 28.7 which is in the range of over.

I just ate sunflowerseeds, yogrut and almonds and now I have net calores around 130.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    "Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 1,990 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,200 calories/ day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 790 calories"
    These are the information. I am 175.8lbs and 5'6.
    On BMI calculator, it says 28.7 which is in the range of over.

I just ate sunflowerseeds, yogrut and almonds and now I have net calores around 130.

so that's a pretty big deficit for someone at a BMI of 28, right on the edge of to much (IMHO), now, you lower that to 900 calories net, and now you're talking about a 1090 calorie deficit, that's to big IMHO, much to big.

I don't say this to hinder your progress, I say this with a practiced eye, lots of experience, and an eye towards long term success. If you were a client of mine, I would say lower the deficit to 500, eat your exercise calories, and wait 6 weeks to see how you're doing. If, in 6 weeks, you see little or no progress, then start tweaking by small amounts.
    The reason why I say to do it this way is because the bigger a deficit you start with, the more modifications you'll need to do later on, and the more difficult it will be to adjust to a maintenance cycle when you reach your goal. changing from a 700 calorie deficit to maintenance is far more difficult than stepping down over the course of several months from a 500 cal deficit to a 300 cal deficit then gradually to maintenance.
    Remember, I come at MFP from a permanent change in lifestyle perspective, if you want to change how you think about food, and your whole nutritional profile, this is the easiest way to do it.
    This is all just opinion of course, take my advice if you want. I hope this helps.

best luck to you.

-Banks
  • mpark90
    Options
    SHBoss1673,
    Thank you so much for your advice. I will change my calories goal as you suggested.
    You taught me a lot.
    Thank you once again. :)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    :happy:

good luck. I'm rooting for ya.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Don't get worried if you're having trouble getting the numbers where you want them at first. Just pay attention to what you eat, and eventually you'll get better at both pacing yourself throughout the day and choosing what foods best suit your needs depending on your schedule. If you're well short towards the end of the day, don't stuff your face. Instead, eat a slightly bigger breakfast in the morning. This will be a big help if you're consistently coming up short on cals, and also helps to pump up your metabolism for the day, which is the whole reason behind eating more then you've been. Yesterday I had a very busy day, and at 7:00 pm I was so confused because I was STARVING. Then I put in my food and realized I had only consumed 1300 cals. As a bigger man, my daily goal is 2010, and I had added 500 exercise cals, so I was 1200 calories short! I had a big, healthy but calorie heavy dinner and was still short, but sometimes it's going to happen. The day before I was over, so it all tends to even out.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I am also a vegetarian...eggs/dairy veggie...I keep almonds on hand at all times. I will put almonds and raisins together for a snack...I need to eat stuff like that to meet my cal. goals all the time.