Food High in Calories but low in fat and carbs?

HELP!

I need more food to eat, but I need low carb/ low fat choices. I know lean meats have calories in them. But I don't think I can handle more than 8 oz of chicken at a time...

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,311 Member
    tuna, or any fish really, pork, beans, eggs
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    You do realize that's just another way of saying "high protein", right? Which would be any of the lean meats.

A better question is, why are you looking for low fat?
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    protein shakes. they are my saviour in the protein department.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 189 Member
    Well there's only three macro nutrients : carbs , fats, and protien.
    So it is protein shakes, fish or egg whites if you can't stand more chicken breast.
    Salad greens really don't have many calories but they help to break up the monotony.

I repeat the question asked in another reply - what's wrong with fat? Fat is high in calories, has a lower effect on insulin and blood sugar than protein, and tastes pretty good. Are you a body builder?
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    I looked at your diary - you don't look like you're doing too badly at all! I would up the protein at each meal to a consistent 4 oz. And add healthy fats. Add avocado to your wraps and/or sammies. Have eggs in the a.m. instead of toast or oatmeal. You might find you're less hungry later.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    have you considered foods that contain healthy fats? Avocados, nuts and dairy are clean, nutritious ways to increase calories.
  • Well there's only three macro nutrients : carbs , fats, and protien.
    So it is protein shakes, fish or egg whites if you can't stand more chicken breast.
    Salad greens really don't have many calories but they help to break up the monotony.

I repeat the question asked in another reply - what's wrong with fat? Fat is high in calories, has a lower effect on insulin and blood sugar than protein, and tastes pretty good. Are you a body builder?

I get enough fats in everyday with eggs and extra virgin olive oil with my cooking!
  • have you considered foods that contain healthy fats? Avocados, nuts and dairy are clean, nutritious ways to increase calories.

yes. I eat dairy and almonds..

Maybe more so protein bars?
    Anyone have any they recommend?
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    LEAN Meats, eggs, protein shakes
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    have you considered foods that contain healthy fats? Avocados, nuts and dairy are clean, nutritious ways to increase calories.

yes. I eat dairy and almonds..

Maybe more so protein bars?
    Anyone have any they recommend?

I like the Think Thin Creamy Peanut butter protein bar. I really don't like protein bars, so to find one that I'm actually happy with was an amazing thing.
  • rdunlap81
    rdunlap81 Posts: 94 Member
    south beach diet bars are good! I like the chocolate, almond ones.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    I drink 1.5 c 2% milk with 1 scoop of chocolate peanut butter protein mix... gives me a nice 320 calories and a nice tasting treat during dinner time ...
  • anarod0513
    anarod0513 Posts: 119
    Thank you for posting this!!!! I can't handle 8 oz of chicken in one serving either
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    IMHO, the optimal solution to a nutrition problem is almost never a shake or bar or something that comes in a box/bag.
  • Thank you for posting this!!!! I can't handle 8 oz of chicken in one serving either

No problemo :)
  • I enjoy the supreme protein bars. The caramel nut one is delicious, and has 400 cal on 9 g net carbs I think and 30g of protein. Walmart sells them for $1.79 I believe. I am having an issue with caloric intake as well, because my net calories I am getting are only 600ish
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    IMHO, the optimal solution to a nutrition problem is almost never a shake or bar or something that comes in a box/bag.

QFT...

OP...if you're low carb, you're going to naturally be higher fat and protein, there is just not mathematical way around this, especially if you need calories...lean proteins just aren't calorie dense. Just eating eggs and you olive oil in your cooking isn't "enough" fat if you are low carbing.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I eat a ridiculous amount of tuna I spice it up to give it some zing.

I can recommend a tuna bake .... Tuna + Veggies + Tomato Paste + Spices covered in cheese and lobbed in the oven until golden. I'd chuck some sour cream in there for texture as well.