Curious - what made you overweight in the first place?

Options

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    My father never knew what portion control was.
  • Maryhadley2
    Options
    I got really sick like intensive care sick during the middle of my divorce, had a boss that was trying to ruin my career for what reason I don't know! honestly, I was so bleak, full of medications that caused weight gain, my heart was breaking physically and emotionally! So, I regained my health, the boss got fired, my career is super solid and I give it my all!

With fitness pals help I've regained my beauty and Im dating. I no longer feel isolated or ugly. Shopping has gone from a nightmare to a joy. I have to exercise at least 4 or more times a week. I NO I have not fallen in love with it, I hate it....but I have to or my weight goes up...quickly. I don't know if a serious relationship is in my future, I got used to being home alone after raising children with a husband. Fitness Pal helped me realize the calorie count of my food....and stop being sad and get off the sofa!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Multifactorial a combination of physical and psychological
  • RockinJanie86
    Options
    Food and laziness.

Chick Fil A's number 1, Pizza Hut pan pizza made me over weight! lol no but seriously, My mom, sister and I used to live with my grandma. My Hispanic grandma who can cook a mean everything. I've always been fat, my weight went up and down tons through middle and high school. The lightest I weighed in high school was about 150ish and that was because I was trying to look good for my now husband.

Food is good. Especially growing up in South Texas.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I love food. My portions were off. I wasn't exercising as often as I could have.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell: calories in exceeded calories burned. But I don't think OP was asking that question.

It took me until April of last year, when I joined MFP, to finally figure out WHY I couldn't keep any weight lost off. I had 5 pregnancies and gained weight with each one, taking the saying "eating for 2" literally almost every time. It seemed with each successive birth I was heavier than before. I also tended to eat when stressed, and my firstborn was a difficult child to raise.

In 1998 I was diagnosed with PCOS and put on Metformin, which helped me drop from 230lbs to about 200lbs but I couldn't ever seem to drop below that for very far or very long. I dropped down to the 150s 5 years ago but the death of my grandmother pushed me back to bad eating habits, and by April of 2012 I was ready to throw in the weight loss towel. I had been slowly changing how I ate and how I fed my family, thanks to a wonderful fruit and vegetable co-op that is quickly spreading across the U.S., and then in the same week two different people I trust told me about MFP. I signed up but didn't really get the ball rolling until May of 2012. I then hit the ground running, literally! I started to peruse the forums here for advice and ideas. I started to document my food as well as my exercise. The weight started to really melt off. Wow!!

Fast forward to winter of this year and a very stressful time hitting my family in the form of a child suffering from life-threatening depression. I put back on a few pounds, but kept at the program. Things are settling down with my child, who is in recovery now, and I'm back to losing again. Time and time again I found myself feeling so proud that the feelings I dealt with during my child's illness didn't send me to the store to grab a dozen donuts and eat myself into oblivion by downing half the package.

Perseverance, persistence, and finally a love of exercise is what makes me sure that I will finally lose all the excess weight and be able to keep it off.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Soda, being sedentary, eating way too much for a child, obesity genes...
  • chelc1105
    chelc1105 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have always been the "chubby" girl. My mom did not encourage us to exercise, we had very little money when i was growing up and all we had in the house was junk ..... I thought my mom is skinny and she eats the same crap, i must just be a bigger person, then i found out a few years later it was because she was doing heavy drugs.

I would not eat for a day, and then i would pig out, and then not eat for a day and then pig out (repeat)

Then i met my husband - we only ate out - burgers and french fries every day, which i thought was okay because "i never ate"
    I wasn't active because i was too big, my feet hurt, it was too hot ....etc.

Then i got a desk job + eating out every day + going home and sitting on my arsh + stress + anxiety + depression + a very unstable relationship (with my now husband, we worked it out)

Then I thought i was eating healthy when i decided to go vegetarian - uhm...no. I was eating processed crap, all the time, and i wouldnt eat anything all day long and then i would pig out when i got home until it was time to go to bed.

Its all a pile of excuses :)
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this very thing today and wondering if my level of denial was going to come back and haunt me. I like to downplay the real reasons why I've gained so much weight because I don't like thinking or talking about them.

Basically stress. I have been under an insane amount of stress for 5 years and that is when I started gaining weight. I eat to cope. The stress is not ever going to go away, in fact, I predict it will get worse. I need to figure out effective ways of coping with it if I'm going to maintain my weight loss. I know all the right things to do, the trick is DOING them when I'm overwhelmed and ready to reach for old, bad habits.

I'm self-medicating with food. There. I said it.
  • Crysiira
    Crysiira Posts: 7
    Options
    I was never really into sports or any physical activity other than camping and hiking. I'm an artist, a reader, a dreamer. Those things don't require lots of movement!
    In college I moved in with my aunt to save on rent. She is nearly 400lbs and had snack foods and desserts and candy and treats all over the house. Growing up, my youngest brother had type 1 diabetes and my mother banned sugar from the house so when I realized how readily available it was at my aunt's I started gorging.
    Then I moved in with my future husband. He is the type of person who basically just eats one giant meal a day. My metabolism doesn't work that way. When it came to having dinner together he would make huge meals and I would try to match his portions - again, a throwback to youth when my siblings and I would compete for larger portions, seeing as dinners were quite small in a six person family.

It all caught up to me and I've been steadily gaining more and more weight the last 10 years. I'm now re-learning everything I thought I knew about metabolism, portions, exercise, and basically everything. I'm learning to find intellectual stimulation in exercise instead of thinking of it as mindless physical activity. I'm measuring out the serving size of EVERYTHING I put in my mouth. I'm changing the times I eat, and if it means telling my husband I can't eat a huge dinner with him so be it! It's an entire lifestyle change and even my husband has noticed the difference and is working on making some changes too!
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My thyroid bottomed out after both children. It didn't help that my DH met me when I was doing 2 hours of Tae Kwon Do a day and literally thought I could eat like that when I wasn't exercising all the time. It took MFP to get him off my *** about not eating enough. He's 6'4" and built like an old style Viking with HUGE bones. I'm 5'4" and have small bones. I can eat about half as much as he does. He's finally figured it out and doesn't give me problems about it now. He tends to be of the school of "If you love it feed it!"
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I looooove food and always have. (I used to sneak cookies and other snacks all the time...and I was always the one kid in our family who wanted to know when the next meal was coming!) I was never overweight as a child because I had an active lifestyle and my mom kept my bad habits in check.

My first year of college was pretty stressful/lonely ... that combined with all-you-can-eat buffets at the dining hall led to gaining a freshman 30 rather than freshman 15. Typically when I'd go home for summer I'd lose weight, then gain it all or mostly back throughout the course of the school year. (Drinking followed by drunken late night food cravings did not. help. at. all.)

As a new college grad, my first job stressed the heck out of me, and again, since a lot of my friends had moved away, I was lonely. Stressed + lonely again led to overeating. I can remember looking forward aaaalll morning to my lunch - planning out where I'd go, what I'd order, etc. I almost never brought my lunch, and I almost never made healthy selections at restaurants. I would be so stuffed I was uncomfortable all afternoon.

As adulthood wore on, I became more upset with myself for gaining weight. At one point, I had gained 60-70 pounds from where I'd been in high school - my healthy weight. It seemed such a large amount. The more time that passed between "fat me" and "healthy me", I kind of lost myself. I stopped seeing myself as someone who could even BE healthy. I hadn't really resigned to being fat - I was miserable with myself.

I finally had a breakthrough, where I realized that perfectionism was really behind my mental block. It sounds stupid but what I mean is this: I felt like I couldn't be a "whole" person until I was thin. I was unhappy because I denied myself things that I wanted because I wanted to wait until I was the "real" me - aka thin. For example, I didn't bother with having cute clothes because I thought there was no point.

Being unhappy is no way to live, and no way to lose weight. I realized I would have to be okay with being fat WHILE I got thin. I always felt like if I accepted myself as I was, I'd give up trying to improve. Now, I have learned to stop comparing myself to anyone else except ... myself! And, I've learned to always be positive and, even if I screw up, to simply take a deep breath and move on.

I have learned to be happy with slow progress. In fact, it's my new motto - slow and steady. Eventually I will get there, and in the end, it will be a faster way to my goal than all those years of yo-yoing that got me nowhere! I've lost 15 pounds since October - very slow progress indeed, but I'll take it.
  • SlinkySpencer
    SlinkySpencer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's really interesting to read these answers. I know on weight loss shows, they tend to believe everyone has a big 'reason' why they're obese, but I don't think that applies to everyone. At least, I'm not sure if it applies to me.

I really don't know the answer to this question. I started gaining weight when I was four. I don't know exactly how much I weighed by the time I was 5/6, but judging from my pictures, I would have been past overweight and going into the obese range then. What I know about my eating habits from that time....have no clue really. But I do know that by the time I was in public school I was already being exposed to 'diet-talk' and getting bullied for the weight by my classmates. As expected, this didn't help me lose weight. I remember really starting to 'eat like a fat kid' when I when I started college. Binging past curfew and all that jazz. Predictably, I gained quite a bit of weight in college. I'm 26 now and just back down to the weight I was halfway through college, after I'd lost weight for a spring break trip. So, for me, it's not about returning to my body's glory days, as much as transforming into the strong, healthy adult I've never been before.
  • mollyya90
    mollyya90 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    In high school I was fit! I weighed 115 perfect body! Ran every single day. Then right out of high school I had heart surgery...stopped running...started eating. Started working at a mom pop Mexican restaurant and we could eat anything for free :( I took advantage ( I still work there just make healthier choices!) I started drinking more...led to hangovers...led to burgers and Mexican food. SUCKS
  • kjwillie
    kjwillie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Depression. Emotional/binge eating. Not being raised in an environment to "speak your feelings". Feeling defeated. Quitting. Stopped working out. Big changes in life such as a gazillion moves during childhood and losing friendships. Being homeschooled, then going to high school for a time. It goes on and on.

But this year I am determined to be stronger and to become fit again! I want to do this for my health and wellbeing! There's only one me and I only live once. It's time to make the best of it. :-)
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    A combination really- I have or used to have a disorder which basically crippled me for a few months, combined with an abusive ex boyfriend, food became control and comfort. Plus to try and cope we would get high and binge on literally thousands of calories.

It was a really dark time in my life. I'm so glad I got my happiness and health back.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    That entire bag of twirlers pull n peel I would eat in one sitting 3-4 times a week!
  • brennamathis
    Options
    Main initial weight gain was my first pregnancy...I was doing really well with very little weight gain until about 28 weeks along when I went into pre-term labor...ended up on steroid shots, oral steroids, hormones, and other meds in order to keep baby in...side effect of all, of course, is weight gain. Not saying that food and pregnancy in general didn't contribute to the massive weight gain during the rest of the pregnancy, but I really do have a hard time believing that at the rate I had been going (prior to meds) that I would have gained 50 lbs in 3 months :/ Lost a very large chunk of that weight pretty quickly after baby was born, went on depo, gained all the weight I had lost back while on depo plus another 20 lbs.

After that, I just plateaued with losing weight in general...my diet choices weren't great, I never consumed enough calories when taking into consideration that I was nursing a baby pretty much nonstop, and I drank a lot of the calories that I *did* manage to get into my body...the fact that I didn't gain MORE is a surprise to me to be honest. Two pregnancies later (with small weight gains that were lost within weeks), I finally decided to really force myself into losing that original weight. Definitely wish I had done it sooner because I'm really really struggling with it now and it's very slow coming off.
  • lklkl5
    lklkl5 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I believe mine is a progression of things. Growing up my older sister was always the too skinny gangly kid. I have a much bigger build than her. Her ring size is a 4 mine is a 7, her feet are a 7 while mine are a 10. We just got genes from different sides of the famiy. Anyway, when I hit junior high I had a very cute figure but didn't see it. I couldn't wear her clothes and thought it was because I was fat. I spent my whole jr high and high school years thinking I was overweight when I wasn't. Poor body image.

Next, I went off to college and majored in engineering. At that time there weren't a lot of women. So a lot of my friends were guys. We'd hang out and I'd eat like them. LOL thus the freshmen 15.

I then graduated. Hubby and I were both engineers so right out of school money wasn't a real issue, although I certainly wish I had some of that back now! Anyway, we ate out A LOT and I rarely cooked. Thus the next 20#'s plus.

Then came 2 kids in 17 months, less exercise, and more excuses. Bottom line, a lifetime of poor decisions that added up to a glaring problem. But not anymore!!!
  • jaycbadass
    jaycbadass Posts: 325
    Options
    i love food, and the only reason i work out soo hard i so that I can eat more. I was always a chubby kid, with crappy genetics :)