Anyone had WLS or considering it?

Options
Hello, I've considered having WLS for a few years but only recently decided to pursue it. I jumped through all the hoops to get approved by insurance to have the surgery but now I'm second guessing this decision. I have to schedule it within the next couple of months or lose the approval.

Would anyone have any experience they would care to share on their WLS or decision to have or not have it? Or even perhaps be willing to be friends to discuss it from time to time?

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    no, not me. my aunt did, she got the lap band, and then had to have it removed because she kept throwing up rotten food into her mouth from it not going past the band and just sitting there...
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Yes I did, it was the best gift I could have given myself, and no I'm not lazy. I work my *kitten* off. Sorry, preemptive strike on the following posts which will say I am lazy and took the easy way out.
  • TaraLe33
    TaraLe33 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had weight loss surgery and it was the best thing I ever did for my life. I was VERY large though, weighing in at over 600 lbs. I am proud to say that I have lose over 300 lbs to date!!! I had the Roux-N-Y Gastric Bypass. In my opinion the superior surgery. I have seen a few people have real problems with the gastric band.
    Here is the deal...it is hard. VERY hard. You MUST do what they tell you. If you don't you won't be successful. THis is NOT THE EASY WAY OUT! What is IS is an invaluable tool. You can drink on your weight and you will have problems if you eat what you are not supposed to eat. I have to exercise to lose my weight now that I have gotten smaller. I am pretty much like everyone else. That being said: it is worth it if you are to the point that you know you are going to have a hard time losing a large amount of weight. Another thing: I Had mine in 2001... and they have improved that surgery so so so much since then. Now you don't have the big cut like I had. you can add me as a friend if you like and I can answer questions for you as best I can. Who is your surgeon? Best Wishes. Tara
  • slimsheila
    slimsheila Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @lilbear, that is a misconception about it being the "easy way". 1) It's major surgery; nothing easy about that! 2) Yes, one absolutely still has to work their *kitten* off if they want to be successful. Not to mention how little you can eat for months after. If you're used to eating 1800-2500 calories a day, you're going to feel bad in all sorts of ways until your body adjusts to 1 oz of food every few hours building up to 600-800 calories a day as the ultimate daily goal in future months. I also heard most people have to keep their calories around 1,000 to maintain their weight loss. None of it sounds like the "easy way" to me!

Thanks for replying lilbear!
  • LolaBeck
    LolaBeck Posts: 2
    Options
    I've considered it, but I don't think it would work long term for me. I know of 5 people that have had the bypass surgery, and all of them gained some if not all of their weight back eventually. Only one I know of kept most of it off, but she would still be considered overweight even now. There are a lot of online forums for people who have had the surgery or are considering having it. I read a lot of posts on those forums, and like everything, some people are doing great and some aren't. Maybe reading posts on those forums would help you make up your mind. I was watching a documentary last week about weight loss surgery. One of the surgeons said that almost all patients will regain their weight within ten years if they don't do the necessary psychological work that needs to be done to address how you got obese in the first place. It also said that the patients who were the most successful were the ones who regularly attended the support meetings after their surgery.

I know that the key to my obesity is mostly psychological and some genetic predisposition. I don't know if having surgery is the only way to get the psychological aspect addressed. I know getting my stomach operated on isn't going to make me suddenly gung ho to exercise. LOL
  • slimsheila
    Options
    Thank you Tara, I am approved for the Roux-NY Gastric Bypass as well. I have about 140 lbs left to lose along with other co-morbities. My doctor will do it with the DaVinci laparoscopically. I'm so glad to hear you've had such success with your surgery.
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    I have had three close friends that have had weight loss surgery. For one of them it was very successful, one had severe issues and almost died but once she got past that did very well, and the third person did pass away during the surgery... I miss him greatly. I'm sure the two people in my life that had problems are extreme examples, but it would make me cautious and really want to look into the risks.
  • slimsheila
    Options
    @Lola, LOL I know what you mean about the exercise! I've been dragging myself there and loving it once I get there. Now I feel like I cannot miss it and really enjoy it. You're also right about the psychological part of it. I'm breaking out all the tools! I do have psychological support and do know why and how I got where I am. So I have to stay focused or I could wind up right back where I started. Yes, they did warn and encourage success through continued attendance in the support meetings and regular follow-ups with the doctor.

Thank you for responding. You hit the nail on the head with that one! And I will definitely check out the forums you were speaking of.
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    I had a sleeve gastrectomy in December 2012. I had a lot of complications, initially, but at this point am very happy with my decision. I would suggest you look for feedback within the WLS groups rather than the open forum. Some have the idea that surgery is an "easy" way out which is in no way true.

I tried, really, really, tried to do this through diet and exercise. I lost 30 pounds in six months which, with 175 pounds to lose, would've been impossible (especially if you consider that a person loses even more slowly as their weight loss continues).

Surgery wasn't an easy decision for me and even a harder result. In the end, it's highly personal. It's about taking control of your own destiny which also means taking ownership of your own decisions.
  • slimsheila
    Options
    Thank you Stephanie, I'll definitely do that!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had VSG four months ago... (don't let my ticker fool you, I didn't lose 110 pounds in four months.. 70 of those pounds were lost prior to surgery) I'm really happy with my decision. It's still HARD it's still a struggle... but with the surgery it's slightly less hard... and that seems to be just enough relief to help keep me on the path. You'll hear a lot of comments about my neighbor's aunt's mailman had it and she throws up everything and gained back all the weight.... people LOVE to share anecdotal stories but the truth is that WLS can be a fantastic tool to HELP you stick with eating at a caloric deficit sufficient to lose the excess weight.
  • LeanAmbitions
    Options
    I considered lap band at one point, but now I see I am capable of losing it without surgery so I am going that route. You lose slower with the lap band, but it's reversible so I was less afraid to get it. I do not believe people who get any of the weight loss surgeries are lazy or anything like that. I just don't feel it's right for everyone. It's a personal decision. If you're having serious doubts, I wouldn't do it, but it is truly something you need to figure out for yourself. Roux-n-y in particular is a very serious procedure. I know four people who have had it. It was only successful for one of them. That woman had probably 100 pounds or less to lose. One has had major health issues from it. She lost 100 pounds very fast and then her weight loss stopped with over a hundred more to go. Her doctor called the surgery a failure. Another woman had it and she lost the weight, but she's had a lot of medical problems from it, and she looks very haggard now. The fourth woman died from complications from the surgery. I know all four of these people personally. I am related to three of them, so I am not just sharing stories I heard from other people. Don't do it until you're completely sure. Good luck with your decision.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    @lilbear, that is a misconception about it being the "easy way". 1) It's major surgery; nothing easy about that! 2) Yes, one absolutely still has to work their *kitten* off if they want to be successful. Not to mention how little you can eat for months after. If you're used to eating 1800-2500 calories a day, you're going to feel bad in all sorts of ways until your body adjusts to 1 oz of food every few hours building up to 600-800 calories a day as the ultimate daily goal in future months. I also heard most people have to keep their calories around 1,000 to maintain their weight loss. None of it sounds like the "easy way" to me!

Thanks for replying lilbear!

Looks like you've done your homework on the procedures!!! For the record, at almost a year out, 1/2 cup of food is good and filling and there are times I can eat more. Never once did I feel weak or bad from the small amount of food. You're right, though that it is NOT the easy way. The easy way would be not having to struggle to lose weight in the first place. I can't say that there aren't times that I don't wish I could still sit down and eat a whole juicy cheeseburger with a side of onion rings...or for heaven's sake, drink a huge diet coke!!!! But, I'll take the weight loss and having my life back over that any day. And....if I want to splurge and eat a junior burger, it's not out of the question. It just means I have to be diligent and mindful of what goes into my body so that I don't wind up big again--or I don't wind up in pain from eating too much! I don't think wls is for everyone, but there are those of us that it is right for. I know people who have had success with every surgery--and those who have failed or had major complications too with each. Just be educated about what you choose and when or if you choose to have the surgery, stick with the plan and learn what works best for you.
  • slimsheila
    Options
    Thank you Missjules, I have been hearing some of those stories and I do appreciate the reality of the seriousness of them. Like you all ready mentioned, it can be a great tool for those that follow the doctors advice and have psychologically prepared themselves for success. Congratulations on your success! And thank you for responding
  • serender
    serender Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there, Yes I had it done over 14 years ago and I started out at 370 lbs and lost 100 lbs with it and I struggle every day....here I am 14 years later at 257 lbs and still working hard to lose weight...I have anywhere between a 650- 1000 calorie diet everyday I have gone all this time on little calories until I found mfp not losing any more weight and couldn't understand why until I saw it was my triple amount of sodium I was eating everyday......I can not eat more than that or I will be sick... I cant eat very much meat, breads, pastas, corn,fruit without bringing it up no matter how much of it I eat....I walk every day up hill for 20 mins and then back. My job I am on my feet moving all the time and work at 3 different places, so no time to be lazy.... .Your doing great now why go through so much pain, and there is a lot of it for years..... Just keep doing what your doing now. I do realize its a lot different now but I have talked so several different people and they have had the same kind of experience as I have...This was mine. Good luck in whatever you choose to do....:smile:
  • slimsheila
    Options
    That's quite a variety of experiences Erin! I am definitely taking the time to think this through and talk to as many people as I can. I don't have to decided until October.
  • slimsheila
    Options
    Thank you Serender! It really sounds like you've had a tough time with losing despite having the surgery. Wow, that would be so disappointing! I am definitely going to take the time I need to think about my decision and work hard at what I'm doing about my weight right now. It does seem to be working; obviously not as quickly some, but working non-the-less.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Just over a year ago, I was considering it and didn't know what else I was going to do. I was getting sicker and sicker. But then I thought long and hard and decided to see what I could do by myself in a year. Now, I am very thankful that I waited, because I don't have the surgical issues to deal with.

If you can do it by yourself with sheer determination and help through this wonderful site, do it that way. But, if you opt for surgery, that's okay too because either way, it's a change in lifestyle.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • slimsheila
    Options
    LOL, thanks Ann! Gosh that cheeseburger and onion rings sounds great right now! I appreciate your advice. Wow, you have had great success with your decisions! Congratulations!
  • RabbiBeth
    RabbiBeth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic.

I have a number of people in my life who have had WLS each with varying degrees of success.

2 of my friends had lapband and have done AWESOME!! 1 friend had lapband but cheats a lot and is still heavy.

2 of my friends had Roux n Y (not sure how to spell it! LOL). One did amazing, got to goal and has not gained weight in the five years since. The other is HUGE today, as if he never even had the surgery - gained it all back and more. He cheated a LOT over time and threw caution to the wind altogether.

I think it is the kind of thing where if you are committed to do what the doctors say, you will succeed. But fi you think it gives you carte blanche to gorge, wrong, wrong, wrong! (This is what my brother in law did....terrible!)

Best of luck in whatever you decide!!! Keep us posted!