8 weeks of low carbs... A HUGE success!!

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
OK, I am diabetic, and low carb is what I should have been doing since I found out I was one, but I didn't. I had my physical 8 weeks ago, and I had my blood work done... and it was BAD, I mean really bad.... So today I got new "numbers" after being super strict for the last 8 weeks...... I hope you like this, and I hope someone gets inspired by it. This is a cut and paste from the forum I originally posted this on:

OK, so today marks exactly 2 months of low carbing and 2 months since my last set of blood work.... EVERYTHING was better except my overall cholesterol, which actually went up a tiny bit - which as I understand it, is normal when starting low carb..... And this was only 2 months, and not the standard 3 months for an A1C test....

Let's just say that I am THRILLLLLLLLLEEDDDD!

In just 60 days:

Lost 7 pounds..... was hoping for more, but 7 is OK

A1c went from 10.2 to 7.4

Triglycerides went from 390 to 210

Blood Sugar went from 290 to get this....... 128.

Blood Pressure went from 130 / 90 to 124 /74...... and I actually had not taken my BP medicine yet today.

So, if you are new, and not sure about this whole low carb "thing", and need a push, hopefully I just gave you a big SHOVE!!!

I love you all, who have put up with my whining so much early on about not losing weight..... It has not been an easy 2 months, but looking at those numbers, it has been an INCREDIBLE 2 months.

And, to top it all off, my doctor said that if I keep at this, she could see me being off all my meds by early next year.

Thanks to everybody who has helped me along the way.

Now I may go have some cheese!

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful, hope your cholesterol get better. My doctor told me not to do a higher protein diet because of my cholesterol. I do think that if someone has diabetes this can be a good thing though so well done!
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Congrats :)
  • motown13
    Options
    Oh, the cholesterol should go down soon.... it is normal to have it go up a bit when you start LC, and then it reverses itself if you are true to plan.
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on such success! When you say low carb, how many grams per day were you allowed? Did you follow any particular plan, ex. Ketogenic diet or other?
  • motown13
    Options
    Congrats :)

LOL, awesome!
  • motown13
    Options
    Congratulations on such success! When you say low carb, how many grams per day were you allowed? Did you follow any particular plan, ex. Ketogenic diet or other?

Well, I keep my gross daily carbs limited to 30 or less, with a long term goal of allowing myself 50 or 60 a day..... no wheat, no pasta, no sugar no rice..... all my carbs, essentially came from veggies and the occasional carbs in heavy cream or processed meat... like pepperoni. I have read lots of books, and am taking bits and pieces from here, and there.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's awesome!!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Great news! Hope you are off those meds soon.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress! You will see your cholesterol drop by the time you get your next lipid panel and you blood sugar and triglycerides will continue to drop as well. LCHF is a miracle diet for diabetics!
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    awesome job -- keep it going.

in 4 months, blood sugar numbers from 6.2 to 6.0, cholesterol from 202 to 162 -- whoopee.

I expect yours will drop. Make sure you aren't getting a lot of animal fat. I eat turkey pepperoni. It is delicious if you haven't tried it. That is my only processed meat. I eat 60-80% fat. Pretty much comes from olive/coconut oils, nut flours, olives, little cheese, little cream, avocados, eggs. I eat chicken/turkey/fish....rarely beef.

GOOD LUCK and GREAT RESULTS SO FAR :flowerforyou:
  • strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic myself congrats on the A1C, that is awesome.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

I expect yours will drop. Make sure you aren't getting a lot of animal fat. I eat turkey pepperoni. It is delicious if you haven't tried it. That is my only processed meat. I eat 60-80% fat. Pretty much comes from olive/coconut oils, nut flours, olives, little cheese, little cream, avocados, eggs. I eat chicken/turkey/fish....rarely beef.

It actually may not matter. I eat red meat(grass fed - my family raises Polled Herefords) at least once a week and a nice strip steak is always my choice when eating out. Plenty of bacon, butter and cheese as well and I have 1/4 c of heavy cream most nights. I do try to avoid vegetable oils (canola, corn etc.) and trans-fat. I don't track saturated fat, so I really can't say what proportion of the 60% fat in my diet is from saturated fat but I'm absolutely certain it's MUCH higher than what is recommended for "heart health".

Starting --> 6 months -->1 year

Total Cholesterol - 207 --->172 -->161

HDL - 37 --> 40 --> 53

LDL - 136 --> 109 --> 89

Triglycerides - 169 --> 116 --> 86
  • motown13
    Options
    Starting --> 6 months -->1 year

Total Cholesterol - 207 --->172 -->161

HDL - 37 --> 40 --> 53

LDL - 136 --> 109 --> 89

Triglycerides - 169 --> 116 --> 86
    [/quote]

Oooh, I like those numbers
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! I started low carb in April and have never felt better. I'm not a diabetic, but I can't wait to see my doctor in October to see the improvement I have made since last year's physical. Keep up the great work!
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success with weight loss and better health!!
  • mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Outstanding results, you are sooo much healthier already ~ congrats! :drinker:
  • Noiram55
    Noiram55 Posts: 43
    Options
    Congratulations. I hope all the disbelievers of low carb read your post and realise it is not all about low calorie.:wink:
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Boo yah!!!!! Amazing!
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Awesome results! Well done, glad that it is working great for you.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic!! Congratulations!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!