MSK probs all over the place, how to manage?

Options
People prone to soft tissue/joint problems, how the hell do we stay fit?

Right now, I have:

- Anterior knee pain, both knees, left is worse, from exactly four 30-minute sessions of interval cycling. This is weird. First noticed it last month - I felt a kind of shock running down my left knee while I was DRIVING. What the hell, overuse from driving a car. And not even with the driving knee. (This was before I got on the bike.)

- Weird pains deep in right heel; only now and then; has showed up on film as a heel spur but I only started feeling it this week.

- Mild tennis elbow in both elbows from doing ONE front squat, with 40 lbs on the bar, a few days ago.

- Right shoulder - pain and very limited range of motion (it pops out sometimes on its own) -- from 3 x 1 hour slow breaststroke. I can't open the trunk of my car or put a shirt on without pain.

- Wrist pain, evident when I do anything, including lifting my iron skillet.

- Osteoarthritis confirmed in one toe, I think it's spreading to others. Feels ok right now, but it flares now and then.

I can't think of a single activity I can do right now. Tried to swim this evening, just with a dog paddle, and had to quit after 20 minutes, because my shoulder, elbows and ankle were like, eff you, anemone.

I am in my mid-thirties, wth. This is from just doing normal activities, moderate pace, total exercise not more than 4x 45-60 minutes per week. I really try hard to pay attention to form with things, too.

Does this happen to everyone in their thirties? How do you manage?

Replies

• onezeronine
    onezeronine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't sound normal to me. Have you talked to a doctor about this?
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't sound normal to me. Have you talked to a doctor about this?

I'm waiting to see someone who might give a crap about making sense of it, but it won't happen for a while. Some of these have showed up in initial imaging, but not on later followup (toe, heel). Or were described as mild or borderline. Some didn't show up at all. (wrists, but an x-ray was ordered; not really sure what they'd be looking for there?). I think it depends on how the radiologist interprets things. Sometimes, I'll have pain for a bit, and it'll go away, and when doc does an exam, everything appears normal. So far no answer for the ankle (3 years into it).

Basically I've been told, "normal wear and tear", but I agree, I'm not sure everyone experiences this. Thank you for weighing in..
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    bump. took time off. tried to do a stupid really low weight rdl, now i can't go up stairs; can't put tops on w/o my shoulder popping out, and it hurts. so frustrated. i don't know if i'm after solutions or just ranting but this sucks.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Are you obese? A lot of these aches and pains and joint issues will go away once you lose weight. In the meantime, you'll be happy to know you don't have to exercise to lose weight. If physical activity is unbearable to you right now, just focus on eating at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    I'm 5'7, now 134 lbs (weight gained due to erratic workouts & diet slippage bc of life stuff; prior to that, had maintained at 125 for ~2 years; top weight was 180.

my goals now included fat loss/body comp. and not hurting myself.