Curious - what made you overweight in the first place?

Options

Replies

• tflint89
    tflint89 Posts: 8
    Options
    Double cheeseburgers eating what I want and no portion control. I used to eat a full footling subway sub with the chips and two or three glasses of coke and then have a cookie or two. Now I struggle to finish a six inch sunrise subway melt in flatbread no soda and just a handful of chips
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    stopping state swimming...;
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    A cortisone IV when I was 10-11 years old. I ballooned in a matter of days, a lot of water at first, but the appetite increase stayed. Managed to lose some to be 5'8" and 140-ish when I was 14, but then was severely restricted in my movements and encouraged to overeat... all downhill from there.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I was never overweight as a child. I weighed around 103 soaking wet and would cry because I was so thin and short.

I had 2 pregnancies and gained a lot but lost it both times rather quickly.

Then my bad marriage really sunk in so I ate to cope. I took antidepressants which packed on the weight as well as other bad side effects they don't tell you about.

I moved out and got a divorce and lost 60 pounds pretty easily.

I got married 5 years ago and he always wanted to order pizza, eat fast food and lots of chocolate. He is young and over 6 foot and can eat anything without gaining an ounce. He can eat 2 whole pizzas by himself. So even though I wasn't eating that much of what we were getting, I was still eating much more fast food than I had before and the weight started to come back on.

Then there were a couple of deaths in the family and I sunk into depression and ate more.
    It is funny as I weigh more now than my highest pregnancy weight.

So that is why.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Recovering meth addict... Didn't eat for years. 7 years of being clean and food tasting amazing adds on a few pounds.:wink:

Learning that I have control over this too and making sure I didn't trade one addiction for another.
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my entire life. As a child, if anyone had food left on their plate, I was not allowed to leave the table until I finished all of it. When I grew older, I began using food as both a punishment and a coping method. Boredom, sadness, anger, stress, and loneliness all become occasions for eating. I would deny myself food as punishment for having these feelings, leading me to binge and repeat the cycle. As I continued to gain, and my mental state worsened, my weight became a nice, thick wall for me to hide behind.
  • prettypaula96
    prettypaula96 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Both my parents, although athletic, were susceptible to being overweight, so when I was really young and life was "normal," there was tons of focus on eating decent and exercising. I remember the nightly battle of how many bites of vegetables my sister and I had to eat and my dad saying "That didn't count. You need to take bigger bites." Man, he was tough.

But then my dad was diagnosed with cancer when I was 6/7, and life changed. Being sedentary to be with a loved one as much as possible in there last days became the norm. I'll admit, our diet changed quite a bit to accommodate my dad and his slow inability to digest food, and through that process I learned a lot (it was huge eye opener when we had to buy baby food for him).

Unfortunately my dad didn't make it, and we grew accustomed to the sedentary life and comforted our loss through food. I refused to see a therapist. — I don't know why, but I just couldn't stand the thought of it. To add to the trauma of watching a parent die, every year after my dad's death, somebody else in my family would die. It became the sick joke that funerals were our family reunions.

So most my childhood and all of my teen years that encroached into my early twenties, my therapist was food. I still have yet to see a therapist, and one day I might (actually, one day I should). Maybe one day I'll get back into my childhood love of swimming, but for now, I'm learning how to deal with my emotions without food. It's a constant battle of portion control and receiving this feeling of fullness.

In the end, it was my fault that I got this big, and I accept full responsibility for that.
  • TheRainQueen
    TheRainQueen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think it's a combination of different factors. For me it is more psychological than physical. I look at the goal and go..**** off, Ive got this. Before I never had this mentality. It was shrouded more in self-doubt than self-discovery. Motivation and effort are important but for me, it is mindset/perspective. Even a rough day of working out gets me excited for harder work outs to come.
  • PanaMericann
    PanaMericann Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Growing up in a house where it was acceptable to be overweight and to eat junk food on a daily basis, but the minute you started getting thinner, you were handed more food to "stop being so skinny".
  • WestCoastWild
    WestCoastWild Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Ive weighed 130-135 since like 7th grade, but then I did the Peace Corps, where the local diet was almost entirely carbs. Gained about 20lbs, and haven't been able to lose it as easily as I expected!
  • megsetser
    megsetser Posts: 3
    Options
    College, binge drinking, late night fast food, having kids, work potlucks, and just plain overeating!!
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2001 and put on some many different medications to control the pain and symptoms which most had the side effect of weight gain. Over the first 6 months I gain almost 25 pounds. I finally after almost 5 years of battling the weight gain told my doctor I would rather die than to continue having my weight on the fast track to a heart attack.

1 year ago I finally decided to go off all medications for Fibromyalgia, bought a hot tub, started yoga and lost 22 pounds. Then I started MFP and have lost another 15 pounds by really watching what I eat and continuing with exercises that will not cause my condition to flare up. When I do have a flare-up which is quite rare I use a prescribed pain cream which seems to get it back under control within a few days.
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have always been round and slightly overweight but I got in a car accident and became unadmittingly depressed because the injuries forced me to stop dancing. I went from a 10/12 to almost a 16 in a semester because I was eating more and moving less. I also was working for a very emotionally abusive boss who would comment on my appearance every day. Eventually I just stopped caring because no one seemed to care for me. Once I realized I was showing signs of depression I sought some help, quite the job for a new one, and began moving again. I still can't dance like I did and probably never will again, but I found ways and other active hobbies I really enjoy. :)
  • Tandy777
    Tandy777 Posts: 10
    Options
    Medications (specifically infertility drugs), pregnancy then menopause! Also severe stress & lack of sleep both of which are known to cause major belly fat. Throw in a few injuries that limit mobility and increased eating through all of the above & you have major wight gain!
  • DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    Options
    First and foremost, my lack of an active lifestyle. I've always been a home kind of person, ever since I was a kid, besides recess at school you'd never see me do any outdoors activities, I'd always be home. As time passed, I grew up to be used to that lifestyle of never being into sports or any physical activity. Combine to that the fact I've always been a loner, I was often bored and somewhat depressed so I'd eat when I had nothing to do and both my parents always loved sweet foods like cakes, cookies, pastries so there was never a lack of it around and eventually I suppose that all of that put together led me to where I am (or was, since I've already lost some!)

But I totally understand you because as someone who lost weight before, and nearly got to my current goal before gaining it all back, I'm also afraid of what will happen once I reach my goal. You can't say I eat better, I just eat less and control my portions but I still eat just about anything.
  • DekkaTwoOneWizzy
    Options
    I dated a woman who was sedentary, Facially flawless, had a pair of quads, calves, and hamstrings, that any figure competitor would covet....and eating behaviours that would vandalize both her and I once her metabolism tanked. "im gorgeous! I can lose the weight anytime I want", verbatim. Now, 12 years later, she looks like a wine barrel with arms.
    Moral of the story: Health should be a PASSIONATELY shared life choice.
    Never dated anything like that again and lost my unsightly fat suit in 12 weeks and have kept it off for 12 years.
    I cannot blame anybody because her triple F's didnt hold a gun to me and command me to eat the whole trough of chinese pastries with her. Nonetheless, you cannot be with somebody who is the gross antithesis of you and not be blemished, not matter how amazing the sex is.....
  • BryanBeLite
    BryanBeLite Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not seeing exercise as necessary, thinking that you can eat unlimited amounts of "healthy foods" like hummus avocados nuts, binging at night, quitting alcohol and replacing with food, metabolism slowing down.

I used to look at crazy binges like eating a box of pizza as solitary events that you could correct by eating normal the next day but Nuh Uh you've got to take back out those calories you put in your piggy bank
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I don't recall being a skinny-minnie since before (probably) age 7. I was bored to tears with most sports and preferred books to being outside. I suspect I've been an emotional eater....
  • lovemesosmall
    Options
    I've never actually been overweight, but I felt chunky. I'm still in high school, but over summer break of 2010 LOL I basically sat on my computer ate ramen noodles and drank soda the whole summer- I know gross!! Prior to this summer break, I had an appointment with my doctor and I was underweight. My school would always pester me about being underweight and so would my doctor. I honestly wont lie, I saw my pictures and I looked like a skeleton, but I WAS healthy. I always played sports and love the great outdoors. -_- Yet, everyone would call me a twig and a stick, so I decided it was time to gain weight. Than get this, I go to the doctor, he tells me "Your weight is normal, but you gained TOO much TOO fast." (which he was right.) After this my brother would always call me fat and tell me to lose weight. I felt horrible and FAT. So, here I am now reached my goal weight, thin, but now I want to become fit and not thin. NEVER AIM FOR BEING THIN, its really an unhealthy train of thought. -It ruined my life.
    Fun fact- When we sleep for every muscle we lose 50 calories, while for fat we only lose 9 calories. :D
    ~Good Luck everyone <3
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Plan and simple, it was poor eating habits from as long as i can remember. My parents never, addressed the issues, when i was growing up.